PDA

View Full Version : Out of Africa - Ficus sycomorus

Caveman
5th November 2006, 01:18 AM
G'day all!
Turned some really unusual wood recently (lovely grain) - thought I'd share it with you.
Turned from Ficus sycomorus (from the fig tree family - bears large edible fruits - much loved by the monkeys!)
An incredibly light and soft wood.
Rough turned - waxed and dried for a couple of months then re-turned - no problems encountered other than requiring a final pass with a freshly sharpened tool prior to sanding (which should be SOP anyway I guess).
Finished with linseed oil and beeswax.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th November 2006, 01:55 AM
It does have some lovely grain, doesn't it?! If you hadn't said 'twas a Ficus, I'd never have guessed it.

With Linseed/Beeswax, I gather it's food safe? Nice job! :)

hughie
5th November 2006, 08:27 AM
Andy,

Good grain structure, I like it. Linseed is a good choice its brought the grain out well. well done mzee

cedar n silky
5th November 2006, 08:47 PM
Nice job caveman!:D I really like your use of those shavings as a backdrop:)

Doughboy
5th November 2006, 08:51 PM
Lovely grain in that bowl! Well done and it will look a treat on your sideboard.

Nice work

Pete

Skewpid
5th November 2006, 11:20 PM
How cool is that!

A battery powered bowl:D

TTIT
6th November 2006, 12:44 AM
Good one Caveman! Don't ya just love using some oddball timber that you've never seen used before! Does it for me ;)

OGYT
6th November 2006, 09:13 AM
Sure looks like our native sycamore, only ours doesn't have the edible fruit... just a bunch of spiney little balls that clutter the ground.
I also like the shavings background... Well done. Beautiful grain, too.

Caveman
6th November 2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the comments one and all:) - real nice.
Always on the lookout to try new / unusual / different timber.

tashammer
6th November 2006, 05:25 PM
beautiful looking grain Caveman, well done. What sort of varieties of timber do you have over there? (This is to overcome my mental picture of plains, elephants and acacias).

Farnk
7th November 2006, 11:16 AM
Xelent grain and a fitting form to show it off.
Hmm, I wonder how much of that I could smuggle back in hand luggage?

tashammer
7th November 2006, 12:04 PM
Xelent grain and a fitting form to show it off.
Hmm, I wonder how much of that I could smuggle back in hand luggage?

Just take the fittings over with you. Buy 2 matching slabs and fittings. Then, carry aboard as hand luggage. (the reason for having 2 slabs is so that the Customs have something to look at when you open the "case".

Caveman
7th November 2006, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the comments guy's.

Tashammer - yep, plenty acacia's round here, however not too many elephants left unfortunately.
As this country has such varied climatic zones (from desert to tropical rainforest and everything inbetween) we have a huge range of different timbers - of which most of the useful stuff has been over exploited to the brink of being extremely endangered in the region.

I use mostly trees that we have to take down due to various construction - dams etc. (the bowl pictured came from a lovely tree that I had to give a severe pruning to make space for a reservoir - luckily the main trunk still remains).

Having a friendly landscaper an hour away in the big city keeps me in stock of some of the more exotic stuff.