PDA

View Full Version : penetrol

hughie
5th November 2006, 08:44 AM
Hi,

I have been given a sample of Floods Penetrol Multi Purpose Wood Oil.
It comes with all sorts of glowing recommendations.

http://www.floodaustralia.net/contents.htm

What experience has the forum have with this? I see other parts of the forum have used it for outside type furniture etc.
Apparently Bunnies stock it, although my local does not. Be interested to hear for the group.

Ironwood
5th November 2006, 12:02 PM
Hughie,
I have been using this stuff for years with good and predictable results. I mainly use it on woodturned items from pens to bowls and platters , after it has dried (only takes afew minutes with a bit of friction/buffing) I top it of with whatever wax I'm using at the time. It seems to produce a better lasting finish than other oils that I have tried. I will continue using it until I find something better.
Great for chisel handles as well

TTIT
6th November 2006, 12:23 AM
Saw that stuff down at the local Mitre10 a couple of weeks ago and wondered what it would be like :confused:. Like Ironwood, I tend to stick with what I know (Feast Watson Scandinavian Oil) but I might be tempted to give it a try if you guy's show us some good results!;)

Gino
6th November 2006, 07:14 AM
out of interest can someone draw a comparison between this product and organoil?

thankyou

Gino

OGYT
6th November 2006, 07:43 AM
Located some here in Texas. Wonder if it's the same as you're tryin'?

BTW. Sent you an email. It's arrived!!!:D :D :D

hughie
6th November 2006, 10:43 AM
[]Located some here in Texas. Wonder if it's the same as you're tryin'?

BTW. Sent you an email. It's arrived!!!:D :D :D
[/QUOTE]

Al,

It looks to be the same stuff, made locally here by the same name company. So far it seems just fine dries quickly. The only difference to Organoil so far I can see is that Organoil deepens the colour of the timber whereas this one does not, but will keep you all posted.

Ironwood, thanks for the heads up. so far its going well.

Ships in.......yeeehar! :D

Christopha
6th November 2006, 04:33 PM
Another dipstick who can't read or work out where on the forum his pst should be...... IDJUT!

TTIT
6th November 2006, 04:40 PM
Another dipstick who can't read or work out where on the forum his pst should be...... IDJUT!Go back to your bloody joke section - it's the only thing you're an authority on! We're talking about finishing 'woodturnings' so we'll talk about it in the woodturning threads - you don't like it - don't read it!

tashammer
6th November 2006, 05:20 PM
it's just a troll TTIT, who is fishing for responses. Best not to feed it. :D

Wizened of Oz
6th November 2006, 09:55 PM
One thing to remember with Penetrol Wood Oil is that it can thicken in the part empty can if not used soon enough. I've used it for a few years much as you would Danish Oil, but I've not used it on turnings. Must give it a try.
About the last litre of my first 4L can had to be tossed away. I decanted the next can into smaller cans, filled nearly to the rim and sealed. Down to the last litre now and it's in perfect condition.

Cliff Rogers
6th November 2006, 11:42 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with Penetrol Wood Oil....:cool:
I love the finish even if it is a bit slow & fiddley to get it just right without rubbish stuck to/in it.
I "HATE" the way it sticks to everything within a 3m radius including my fingers & I also "HATE" the way it turns to jelly in the tin after you open it.

Tip. Air is the enemy.
I buy it in 1L tins & when I want to use it, I get several small clean jars/bottles & a couple of bags of clean marbles ready.
Once I open it, I pour it into the clean jars/bottles right to the top & wack the lid on. I use any left in the tin on the piece that I am working on & then when I use any from a new jar/bottle I add the marbles back to replace the air gap.
Air is the enemy.

BTW Stoppers, (private joke for old members) I use a shoe polish brush to remove the excess from any cracks or voids. ;) Ya cranky old phart... :D
If you had hung about as a mod, you could have moved this to the finishing forum instead of sitting back spitting bile. :p :p :p

BobL
7th November 2006, 12:54 AM
Tip. Air is the enemy.
I buy it in 1L tins & when I want to use it, I get several small clean jars/bottles & a couple of bags of clean marbles ready.
Once I open it, I pour it into the clean jars/bottles right to the top & wack the lid on. I use any left in the tin on the piece that I am working on & then when I use any from a new jar/bottle I add the marbles back to replace the air gap.
Air is the enemy.

I found an old (maybe a year or so) tin of organoil a few weeks ago in my shed with about 2cm left in the bottom and it too had gone sort of thick and gluggy. I wonder if air likely to be the culprit there as well?

Ironwood
7th November 2006, 06:51 AM
I had a look at a set of Bansia nut vases that I turned about 5 years ago, they were finished with penatrol at the time, well I reckon they still look as good as the day it was put on.

I've got nothing but praise for the stuff. :)

But it does go off in the tin. :mad: as others have already mentioned.

Christopha
7th November 2006, 08:16 AM
Go back to your bloody joke section - it's the only thing you're an authority on! We're talking about finishing 'woodturnings' so we'll talk about it in the woodturning threads - you don't like it - don't read it!
WOODTURNING doesn't get a mention wayneker.....:rolleyes:

TTIT
7th November 2006, 09:06 AM
WOODTURNING doesn't get a mention wayneker.....:rolleyes:So you've made a few pens, bowls, platters and vases on the tablesaw then have you?! Over 1500 posts and not a single piece of woodwork, useful advice or even an idea - so who's the wanker!?

tashammer
7th November 2006, 12:18 PM
I wonder if anyone has invented a can vacuum pump yet? Something that punches a small hole, then evacuates the air until container is needed.

Salty
7th November 2006, 12:42 PM
I have used penetrol for years and find it a great finish. Can also be mixed with other clear finishes to give a higher build rate.
For oxidisation problems in paint cans see
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=3&p=30268&cat=1,190,44133&ap=1
seems to be a good solution but I don't know if LV would send a pressure pack to AUS??

OGYT
7th November 2006, 12:49 PM
WOODTURNING doesn't get a mention wayneker.....:rolleyes:
The post above yours says "turned"... reckon he's talkin' bout wood? :D