PDA

View Full Version : thefixer

thefixer
5th November 2006, 08:20 PM
Finally after three months of owning a lathe I got the oppurtunity to have a play with the new toy. It was a fathers day gift from my kids but my 14 year old son Jack who has been posting his own work on these forums seems to think it is his new toy:) We have both been on a steep learning curve since then and have had a lot of fun as well as frustration and dissappointment:( But I must say that is great to have him around in the shed and watch his skills grow each time he tries a new project. Anyway, my first attempt was a small goblet. Not sure what the timber is, part of a packing crate that came from singapore. Second was a bit adventurous but turned OK, a goblet with a captured ring. Timber is redgum from an old fence post. All criticism will be appreciated as these are my first attempts

Cheers. Chris

cedar n silky
5th November 2006, 08:36 PM
No criticism neede for first attempts!!. Well done, and it must be great to have your son interested in something you can do together. Enjoy.:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th November 2006, 09:06 PM
Mate, as first attempts they pass with flying colours. They're still in one piece, aren't they? ;)

Good job. What's the red-gum one finished with? Looks a bit glossy and "plasticy" to my eye... I'd guess either a lacquer or Rustin's Plastic Finish?

thefixer
5th November 2006, 09:20 PM
thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm not going to any great effort at the moment in regards to the final finish as I am only in experimental stage. The finish is just a lacquer from an aerosol can. I only applied it see how the colors and grain would show. I will work at other finishes when the skill level justifies it.

thefixer
5th November 2006, 09:26 PM
Hey wood whisperer, I just noticed you and I are the same age and you are from my old stomping ground. I lived in Vermont, went to ringwood tech and had a girlfriend in south Croydon. Too many years ago, though seems like only yesterday. My how the years fly.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th November 2006, 10:56 PM
Hey wood whisperer, I just noticed you and I are the same age and you are from my old stomping ground. I lived in Vermont, went to ringwood tech and had a girlfriend in south Croydon. Too many years ago, though seems like only yesterday. My how the years fly.

Yeah, I grew up around here too. Maroondah High boy, me. But I spent most of my free time out bush. :D

I'm not going to any great effort at the moment in regards to the final finish as I am only in experimental stage. The finish is just a lacquer from an aerosol can. I only applied it see how the colors and grain would show. I will work at other finishes when the skill level justifies it.

I can understand that, I'm much the same. At the moment I'm concentrating on form and technique, finishing is the last of my concerns. Once I can make what I want, instead of just approximating it, I'll start work on improving the finish.

But there are two finishes that are easy to apply and look good from the beginning... our sponsor's Shellawax and a good Danish Oil, such as Rustin's. Acceptable finishes with minimum effort, although of course they look better with more effort. ;)

TTIT
6th November 2006, 01:06 AM
Excellent efforts for just 3 months experience! :D Good that your young bloke is learning with you too - lucky if I get a grunt out of mine when it comes to woodworking!
Don't sell yourself short with a dodgie finish though! A couple of coats of Danish oil wiped on will look far more professional than spray on stuff.

OGYT
6th November 2006, 08:24 AM
Must be awesome to have your son turning too! Sure can't fault your first attempts. Well done. And I agree with Skew and Vern on the oil finish... (never tried the shellawax).
Good show!

ss_11000
6th November 2006, 03:27 PM
excellent first goes. i'm still yet to have tried a goblet.
well done and keep at it.

Joash
6th November 2006, 03:57 PM
Great begginers work. Glad your son is interested too, its great. Hope to see more of your work as you progress.

Joash:)

Farnk
7th November 2006, 11:19 AM
What is it with woodturning and the Ringwood / Croydon area??

tashammer
7th November 2006, 12:01 PM
Well, the Ringwood-Croydon Forest used to be famous until the Turner families moved in. Though the Turner family isn't as bad as the Treen Family.