PDA

View Full Version : Honey Locust Hollowform

OGYT
7th November 2006, 03:31 PM
Here is a honey locust hollowform. It's 18cm tall X 10cm dia. Got it down to about .4cm thick, but a little thicker at the bottom.
Turned it wet. Then stuck my airnozzle into the top (wrapped with a rag) and blew as much wet out of it as I could. :eek: Very porous wood.:p Tried to make the collar into a bead... failed. (sanded the round out of it)
Finish is Danish oil... (didn't have Rustin's here) and buffed after 3 days dry time for the oil.
Kinda wonderin' what's it gonna do while it's really dryin' out. :eek:
Comments welcome.

Gil Jones
7th November 2006, 04:00 PM
That is a fine looking hollow form, Allen!!!
Honey Locust is an attractive wood.

OGYT
7th November 2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks, Gil. There sure has been a lot of debate about this particular wood (on another forum)... whether it's HL or something else...

DJ’s Timber
7th November 2006, 04:49 PM
That is a nice one Al. Nice clean form. Well done

cedar n silky
7th November 2006, 06:02 PM
That is a fine looking hollow form, Allen!!!
Honey Locust is an attractive wood.

I agree, great looking holow form Al!:D Honey locust Hmmm? I think we got that species up my way, perhaps a little further west, around tenterfeild/ Armidale?? (that's Noth West NSW)
Either ways, I'dd better head out there. I think it's a major weed over here if it's the same one!??:D

BernieP
7th November 2006, 06:45 PM
G'Day Al

Great hollow form thanks for pic, keep us posted when it dries right out

Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th November 2006, 07:06 PM
Nice. A much overused term, but still true. :D

Kinda wonderin' what's it gonna do while it's really dryin' out. :eek:

If you wet-sanded the first coat of Danish, or otherwise flood-coated it so the Danish could penetrate, then applied two or three more coats normally, I'd say the odds are it'll dry nicely. A bit of ovalling, probably, but you could easily get away without checking.

I've found that Danish makes an excellent end-grain sealer, 'tis just too expensive to be used as such on a day-to-day basis. ;)

hughie
8th November 2006, 12:10 AM
Al,

I really like the form, finish does the grain justice. Will keep an eye out for some of this ''weed''.

I agree with Skew, it looks like its been cut right from the tree. With the little opening/neck some ovalling wont be very noticable.

very nice :D :D cut green huh, hmmm, your new cutter would handle that well me thinks ;) :D

OGYT
8th November 2006, 05:49 AM
I think it's a major weed over here if it's the same one!??:D
Thanks, Cedar, I think it's probably the same weed. It has long thorns all over it, long skinny beans; they say the beans are edible... haven't tried it, tho'.:p

very nice :D :D cut green huh, hmmm, your new cutter would handle that well me thinks ;) :D
Appreciate the compliments, Hughie. Yep, that new tool....:D I'm thinkin' 'bout stickin' anothe chunk on there just to try it.:D

If you wet-sanded the first coat of Danish, or otherwise flood-coated it so the Danish could penetrate, then applied two or three more coats normally, I'd say the odds are it'll dry nicely.
Skew, I did wet sand it, and the slurry did a bit toward filling the pores, ;) but it sure is hard to keep it smooth... you can feel the difference between the hard and soft grain wood.:mad: Just the nature of the timber, I suppose.
Thanks, all, for the kind words. :D

TTIT
8th November 2006, 09:03 AM
Little bewdy Al! :) (as Skew said, 'nice' is overused). I'm impressed by the size of your openings ;) (how would that go for a pickup line!). Looks like it couldn't be more than 1/2" ???? Gotta get round to makin' me a tool that will help me do that!

hughie
8th November 2006, 09:50 AM
I'm impressed by the size of your openings ;) (how would that go for a pickup line!). Looks like it couldn't be more than 1/2" ???? Gotta get round to makin' me a tool that will help me do that![/QUOTE]

Little holes are good but its a pain in the butt getting all the iddy biddy bits out as you go along :D :D :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th November 2006, 02:52 PM
Little holes are good but its a pain in the butt getting all the iddy biddy bits out as you go along :D :D :D

That's when I cheat and go in from the bottom, turning a plug that's concealed by the beading under the foot. :o

OGYT
8th November 2006, 03:37 PM
I'm impressed by the size of your openings ;) (how would that go for a pickup line!). Looks like it couldn't be more than 1/2" ???? Gotta get round to makin' me a tool that will help me do that!
Thanks, Vern, this one's actually 19mm (3/4"). Sometimes it's a little difficult for a shaky hand to keep it small... :( I'd like to get them down to about 12 or 13 mm, but hollowin' deep with that small a shaft causes a lot of chatter.:eek:

I just use an air hose with a 15cm nozzle on it. Gotta stop often and blow 'em out, or the shavin's interfere with the tool.

Skew.... cheat?:eek: :eek: Just shockin', that's what it is....:D :D :D