PDA

View Full Version : Like to buy a cheap lathe

Jack E
12th November 2006, 08:43 PM
Firstly, I hope Bitingmidge doesn't see this or I will be in for a bit of a ribbing.

I would like to buy a cheap lathe to experiment with a bit of turning.

I have never done any type of wood turning before what so ever.

Firstly I would like to turn up some chisel handles and plane knobs.

Maybe some small bowls, platters etc in the future, and a high probability of longer turnings between centres.

I don't really have budget limitations but at this stage I am thinking GMC after reading some favourable threads on here regarding very basic turning.

I think the GMC comes with a few chisels which should get me started.

Are there any other cheap lathes in the price range of the GMC (I think less than $200) which I should consider?

If I was to buy the GMC are there any enhancements I should do, perhaps a quality chuck?

Can anybody recommend a cheapish set of chisels if they think the GMC ones won't cut it (pun intended:) )

How about a good video to get me started on the right path?

Cheers, Jack

chrisb691
12th November 2006, 08:59 PM
If you want to enhance the GMC.....throw it in the bay!!!!

I started with a GMC, and it CANNOT do what you say you want to do. If you want to have a go at turning, then the GMC is not the way to go. All that will happen, is that you will get frustrated, then discouraged, then off, and give it up. There is a lot of enjoyment to be gained from turning, and the GMC will ruin it for you.

I'll leave it to others, more qualified, to recommend a low cost lathe for starting.

EDIT: Okay, so in Townsville you probably haven't got a bay. So the next best enhancement is an Oxy set.

robatman
12th November 2006, 09:38 PM
I agree with chris in that the GMC is one hellovu frustrating machine.
However some of us are on budgets and have no choice!!!

I have been using the GMC for about 3 months, and one of the best things i did was get the optional 4 jaw chuck and then bought a cheap scroll chuck (4 jaws move together- $100) and with a lot of patience centre it in the GMC chuck. The GMC has a non standard thread.

The GMC has its limtations that even the beginner can see- the tailstock is soooo flexible- dont put too much pressure when mounting between centres as it bends/ stresses the workpiece. It stalls when taking heavy cuts (not catches!), and the banjo? (tool rest) is soft and just crap. just to name a few!!

However i use it once or twice a week and instead of giving up , i have got the bug big time!!!!! In what other woodwork area can you start and finish a project in under two hours, with timber from the backyard or just off the street! Bowls included. The next best option- MC 900, (or really THE best option), for me is probably at least 6 months away.

As far as chisels go make sure you get HSS, carpatec and others have an OK starter set for around $110.

Enjoy it, but be warned, youll be getting a chainsaw and bandsaw soon.
Robert

Designsync
12th November 2006, 09:41 PM
Jack,

I have just started turning, so like Chris, probably not the best qualified.

I have a 2 month old Carba Tec MC1100 which has turned 4 bowls, 2 mugs, and a few spindles as practice. At this stage it's done everthing I've asked of it. However, it did have one negative point - the standard face plate was about 1.0mm off centre, so going from the faceplate to the Nova2 chuck the piece wouldn't align. Problem was solved by buying a technatool faceplate to suit the chuck.

Anyway I'm sure there are more qualified people out there with some more useful info, but for entry level I think this is a good start.

Jackson
12th November 2006, 09:48 PM
G'day Jack

The old truism that you get what you pay for is nowhere better demonstrated than in buying a lathe. Before much longer this thread will have heaps of responses with many suggestions for decent lathes. The basic rule however is that if you don't pay for it, you won't get quality. Chris is right about the GMC. If you want a cheap lathe go for something else in the lower end of the price range.

I started with a cheap Korean model that my wife bought for a few hundred dollars. Like many lathes of its type, the bed flexed, the bearings couldn't stand any lateral load and the thread at the headstock wasn't compatable with any decent chucks. However it and the cheap set of chisels I started with convinced me that turning was for me.

If you get a cheap one and later lose interest the value of the lathe will be zero. If you get a quality lathe and later lose interest, you'll at least have something that you will have no trouble re-selling.

For what it's worth I have a Woodfast ME910 which I've always been happy with, but you can expect to pay a couple of grand for a model like that.

You'll find a good selection of books on turning at your local library. Go and read a few but then, most importantly - find someone to show you. There'll be a local club in Townsville no doubt - they'll welcome you with open arms and will probably have a few machines to practice on. You cannot underestimate the importance of learning by being shown.

bitingmidge
12th November 2006, 09:57 PM
Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack,

Oh how I've been waiting for this day!!

What are you thinking? ehehhehehehehehhhheeeeee!!!

OK, I admit, there comes a time in everyone's life, when they start to think maybe a lathe would be handy, but I didn't think it would happen in one so young!

Still two years is a long time in show business!

The cost of the lathe is insignificant compared to the cost of chisels, chucks etc.

I still don't regret taking the plunge on a Jet Mini lathe ($350 from GPW.au.com) when facing the same questions you are. I made the decision to buy based on the fact that so many fair dinkum turners seem to have one in their kit. You can't do big stuff, but it doesn't hurt near as much when you get a catch either!

Good luck old fella!

P
:D :D :D

bitingmidge
12th November 2006, 10:07 PM
Firstly, I hope Bitingmidge doesn't see this or I will be in for a bit of a ribbing.

Hehe, if I may explain this (and some of my previous post):

When Jack and I first met, I was midway through a beginner's turning course run by Carol Rix.

Jack, ever so politely confided that in his humble view, woodturning was only for people of substantially advanced years.

Now I may or may not have agreed with him, considering myself indeed to be in the process of learning a skill that I could take with me into my no doubt forthcoming dotage, but he made the fatal mistake of expanding his point.

"I'll probably wait till I'm as old as you", he whispered.

I know for certain that he won't ever forget that day.

I won't let him!!

Cheers Jack!

P
:D :D :D :D

hughie
12th November 2006, 10:08 PM
Jack,
I have not had a lot to do with GMC but the collective opinion here is firm about being about anchors.....

Have a look at the MC900 or 1100 or the equivelants at places like Carbatec,Hare & Forbes. Nothing grand but you can get a good feel for turning. A number of guys on the forum have them and have turned out some real good pieces on them

http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/home.php
see WL-18, WL-20

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=300_14570_14630

Farnk
12th November 2006, 10:11 PM
As a past GMC owner, I can attest to the weaknesses of it.
However, it got me into this hobby and I learned the basics of spindle, faceplate and bowl turning on it.

My GMC had the same thread as a record, accepted a Vicmark VM100 chuck, and was enough for me for a couple of years. Yes, I had a few bits of wood fly off the thing, but I soon learned what the thing would do and what it wouldn't.

I suppose for me it was a matter of enjoying what the machine could do rather than missing what it couldn't.

With the help of this forum, I got a great deal on a Leda MC900 off ebay and I haven't looked back. The GMC is now with a mate who had never picked up a chisel and together we are both continuing to learn and grow our skills.

It's funny looking back at the few peices that I've kept. Most of these I've rechucked and improved but a couple are still rough..

So if it's a matter of a GMC or no lathe at all, well... there's always ebay!

soundman
12th November 2006, 11:14 PM
Jacke jacke jacke.

I you cant afford to buy a decent lathe DON'T.

Get your self down to the townsville woodturners in the old guide hut in the park near pimlico high saturday.....end problem.

They have a variety of nice nearly new vicmark machines down there in a variety of sizes with chucks & tools and everything.
I had a short visit when I was up last may... nice bunch of blokes.

Once you are hooked....:D :D you can buy a decent machine.

cheers

arose62
13th November 2006, 05:04 PM
Jack E,

do you have access to either a Hare and Forbes, or a SuperCheap Auto??

H&F often have ex-demo MC-900 / MC-1100 lathes at less than retail, and they've just had their annual demo day, so the timing could be good!

I've noticed SuperCheap getting rid of their MC-900 clones - the store near my work has one for $199.

I started with the GMC cheapy, and moved up to an MC-series, and would suggest you skip the GMC.

Cheers,
Andrew

Jack E
13th November 2006, 11:10 PM
"I'll probably wait till I'm as old as you", he whispered.

I know for certain that he won't ever forget that day.

I won't let him!!
Agh Peter, you may be old but I see the memory is fine:D

Don't you hate it when you say something and shortly after it nips at your posterior:)

I am getting old, I recently got married, can't remember the last night club I entered, the music is always to loud (except mine), they don't seem to play the songs I like on the radio anymore, and I want to throw rocks at every car I hear hooning past my house.

Looks like I am destined to a life of turning.:D

Nah, just kidding. I want a lathe to make parts for tools, but I can see it being used for a little more than that.

Cheers, Jack

Jack E
13th November 2006, 11:15 PM
Get your self down to the townsville woodturners in the old guide hut in the park near pimlico high saturday.....end problem.

They have a variety of nice nearly new vicmark machines down there in a variety of sizes with chucks & tools and everything.
I had a short visit when I was up last may... nice bunch of blokes.
I was there on Saturday, one of the Brisbane based suppliers was having a sale there.
He was mostly selling turning stuff so I wasn't very interested.
I think it was later that night that I decided I should get a lathe for chisel handles and plane knobs.
You guys have talked me out of the GMC and I am leaning towards an MC900.
Perhaps I could have picked up one on Saturday,cheap, if only I knew I wanted one then:)

I could probably throw a rock at the Pimlico woodturners club from my house.
Actually to be honest, it is a good seven iron away:)

Cheers, Jack

Jack E
13th November 2006, 11:21 PM
do you have access to either a Hare and Forbes, or a SuperCheap Auto??

H&F often have ex-demo MC-900 / MC-1100 lathes at less than retail, and they've just had their annual demo day, so the timing could be good!

I've noticed SuperCheap getting rid of their MC-900 clones - the store near my work has one for $199.
I wasn't aware supercheap sold lathes, are they close to the MC900's made by others?

I will contact hare and forbes to see what they have, I am not close to them but am in Townsville so am used to paying freight.

Cheers, Jack

Jack E
13th November 2006, 11:25 PM
Okay, you guys have talked me out of the GMC.

I considered a mini lathe as I only want to start on small pieces, but if I can get an MC900 for a little more why not?
I like to have the option of doing bigger stuff.

So I guess now I wait for a good deal to arrive, I am getting the lathe for xmas so hopefully something pops up before then.

Can anybody recommend a good video and supplier on turning, I would like to get the video well before getting the lathe so I am well informed when it comes time to part with the cash.

Cheers, Jack

La truciolara
14th November 2006, 03:44 AM
I use to say: "I am too poor to buy cheap"
You might have to buy a second lathe as you will throw awy the first:)

soundman
14th November 2006, 11:47 AM
Have a serious look at the jet mini lathe with an extension bed and the little nova chuck.
Then compare it with the MC series.

I've heard quite a few grumbles about the MC series... just little niggles.

The jet mini is a sweet little thing with a big heart and you can sling it in the boot or put it away.no problems.

check the spec's between the two and the mini looks real good.

I do a lot of little stuff like trool handles... and for that you don't need the extension bed.

Give gary pye a ring on the jet mini..he sells more of them that anybody else in the country (i understand).

I'll have to drop in next time I visit the townsville rels.
Big sister lives in hermit park. right near the swamp.... sorry park.
Would have dropeb in in may but youwere comming back from your honeymoon.

cheers

bennylaird
14th November 2006, 11:52 AM
I've got an old electric motor, some bike axles and some bits of steel lying around.

Can someone tell me how to put it together to do the job of a good lathe.

I don't want to spend more than $20 including chisels.

Is this possible?

(Opps not friday is it?)

Jack E
14th November 2006, 12:16 PM
I'll have to drop in next time I visit the townsville rels.
Big sister lives in hermit park. right near the swamp.... sorry park.
Would have dropeb in in may but youwere comming back from your honeymoon.
Drop in any time, from my place in Pimlico you can see the park the woodturners club shed is in.

Entry fee is only a dozen pumpkin scones:)

As for the Jet mini lathe.
It looks good, but a few questions?
Can you do outboard turning on it? I don't think the 250mm diameter will be enough if I wanted to do a bigger bowl or something down the track.

What is the little Nova chuck, do you have a number for it.

Cheers, Jack

hughie
14th November 2006, 12:53 PM
I've got an old electric motor, some bike axles and some bits of steel lying around.
Can someone tell me how to put it together to do the job of a good lathe.
I don't want to spend more than $20 including chisels.
Is this possible?

Ah! some one with a good sense of humour...............

This forum is far to serious....:D Hmmm you really want to be careful about all this money your throwing around. The rest of us mere mortals must struggle on with inadequate budgets for our turning aspirations....sigh, Oh to be rich :D

Jack E
14th November 2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I am asking serious questions here.

Cheers, Jack

bennylaird
14th November 2006, 01:22 PM
Apologies for the highjack.

I have looked at the GMC a few times, but it doesn't inspire me. With so many around for about the $400 mark that do so much better, I find it false economy.

I will pick one up on special with a set of chisels and a chuck so I can get a good start. Don't want to muck around trying to make a GMC work.

RETIRED
14th November 2006, 01:30 PM
Ah! some one with a good sense of humour...............

This forum is far to serious....:D Hmmm you really want to be careful about all this money your throwing around. The rest of us mere mortals must struggle on with inadequate budgets for our turning aspirations....sigh, Oh to be rich :DI try.:D

Don't mind a little bit of light hearted banter (as evidenced in some of the other threads in here) but Jack asked a serious question and I am sure that if anyone else asked about something they don't want to wade through 20 posts of drivel to get an answer.

Cliff Rogers
14th November 2006, 02:08 PM
...As for the Jet mini lathe.
It looks good, but a few questions?
Can you do outboard turning on it? ...
No, not without modifying it.

...What is the little Nova chuck, do you have a number for it...
Go here & have a look at the G3.
I have a couple of the Precision Midis for my Jet & I like them, but... the Jet doesn't have a spindle lock so it is a 3 handed trick to mount something in a Precision Midi 'cos it uses tommy bars to tighten. The G3 only needs one hand to operate but it sticks out from the head stock further that the Precision Midi.
http://www.teknatool.com/

Also look here...
http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107144813

And, in case you didn't see it, read this thread on chucks.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=40428

I.....they don't want to wade through 20 posts of drivel to get an answer.
Benjamin????? :cool:

"Okay, I'll shut up. Some fellas have to keep their tongues flappin' but not me. I was brought up right. My pa used to tell me to shut up and I'd shut up. I wouldn't say nothin'. One time darn near starved to death. WOULDN'T TELL HIM I WAS HUNGRY!!"

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th November 2006, 10:11 PM
Okay, you guys have talked me out of the GMC.

I considered a mini lathe as I only want to start on small pieces, but if I can get an MC900 for a little more why not?
I like to have the option of doing bigger stuff.

I'll play Devil's Advocate here. :D

The difference between an MC-900, and a midi/mini-lathe in the same price range (eg. a Leda or JET mini) is quality. The MC-900 is, IMHO, the bottom of the heap of usable lathes. A good starter for a newbie turner, I have two of 'em, but is is only entry level. The midi's available at the same price are middle-range quality... and I have two of them, too. :o

Buy the midi/mini and you'll probably never upgrade, unless you buy a larger lathe for bigger stuff and even then I'll almost guarantee you'd continue using the midi for smaller items.

On the other hand, buy the MC-900 and I reckon you're committing yourself to the upgrade path; bigger, better, more horses, larger swing, lotsa $$$... (We can rebuild it, we have the technology.)

wazzaboyz
14th November 2006, 11:14 PM
I bought the JET mini from GPW at the Melbourne show last month,I already have a Vicmarc VL300, I have spend most of my time on the JET mini since I bought it as it runs so smooth .I have even used a Vicmarc VM100 chuck on it and it hums along. I turned a 230mm bowl on the weekend and was surprised how easy it handled the job. Anyway enough rabbling on.

soundman
14th November 2006, 11:27 PM
Alass the jet wont turn outboard. but in my opinion thats it only major failing.
But you can pick it up and carry it arround...... hell there'd be blokes oitvthere that would tuck it under their arm and wander arround with it........ admittedly those are the sort of blokes that tuck a bag of cement under there arm and go for a wander.

It does way less than a bag of cement....30kg from memory.

Yep if I baught a biger lathe, i'd keep the mini.

BTW the small nove chucks take most of the same jaws as the bigger brothers.

I have a percision midi ... I don't find the tommy bars any problem. but then I'm happy with two spanners on a router.

For a defacto spindle lock take the knock out bar & poke it in the hole in the shaft & let it rest on the lathe bed.

cheers
cheers

derekcohen
15th November 2006, 01:41 AM
Hi boys and girls

I am another who is in the process of upgrading from a GMC. Of the GMC I can say that it is great for what I paid ($69!) and I have turned a lot of handles for chisels, knives and mallets. They came out OK, but now I want something better. (Incidentally, I have mine bolted to a very solid bench. Also, I only used the front bed section. This no doubt made a big difference to obtaining a reasonable performance from it).

A few possibilities exist (at the cheap end of the market): I am considering the MC1100 (at Carba-tec) because of the 1 hp motor, rather than the extra length of the bed. The one I looked at (at Timbercon) looked pretty solid. HOWEVER, since reading this thead I took note of Soundman's comments about the Jet Mini. This sounds much more in line with my needs (smaller work at present, and I can keep it if I decide to get something larger at a later date). There is a bed extention to increase its length for spindles. Has anyone here done this and can report on how well this works?

With the Jet mini in mind, the two alternatives that come to mind. The first is the Jet mini variabe speed model - is this a desirable feature? While it sounds easier to use, how reliable is it and does it restrict access when turning at all? Ignore the extra cost when commentng on the variable speed option. The second alternative is the Delta Midi lathe. This looks to be almost identical to the Jet. What is the difference(s) and which is the better model? Does the Delta have a variable speed option? Lastly, there is a Delta 14" model that looks like a MC900/1100. Any comments?

Regards from Perth

Derek

soundman
15th November 2006, 01:32 PM
I have a bed extension & its fine, I don't use it all the time so it sits on a shelf.

If you were looking for top stability and....... bolting the whole thing down would be an improvement but at the moment mine just sits there till I put it away.
And thats a big advantage to me.

Aparantly the cheapo lathes with the steel tube ways like the GMC make good disk sanders:D :D

cheers

soundman
15th November 2006, 01:45 PM
I have heard that the variable speed electronics are a bit.....mmmm......well not up to the rest of the product:o

But speed change isn't a real problem.

cheers

Jack E
15th November 2006, 08:50 PM

I went to supercheap, they had a dynalink lathe with a 1000mm bed for $129.
It was in the box but the pic looked it was made out of pressed steel.
Is this the MC900 clone you were refering to or do they sell a cast iron model?

I am still undecided on the MC 900 or Jet Mini. Probably leaning towards the mini at the moment.
I had a look at the Jet at the Mik International we now have in Townsville, it was $430.
Also looked at an MC900 for $420 at one of the hardware stores who is an agent for Carbatec up here.

I may be able to get a better deal out of town, especially with xmas coming up, although freight may negate any saving.

If anyone sees a good deal on either please let me know.

Like wise with chucks but I guess I will have to make up my mind on a lathe first and then get a quality chuck to suit.

I will probably just get the Carbatec economy HSS chisel set for starters.

Any recommendations for a good tuition DVD, as I said before I would like to get a DVD soon so I at least have some idea what I am doing when the lathe arrives, whatever type it may be.

Cheers, Jack

soundman
15th November 2006, 09:10 PM
No the dynaling one is the one that is best used in conjunction with a length of chain and a boat. Or second best converting into a disk sander.

Give GPW a ring. he freights stuff all over the place, there has to be a reason for that.

The standard cheapo chisel set is a good place to start.
The 8 piece red set from hare & forbes is worth a go too more variety. I've just baught another set to regrind into other things.

The good chisel brigade will of course howl me down with derision.

cheers

arose62
16th November 2006, 06:50 AM
The SuperCheaps I get to have had both the horrid pressed steel things, and the cast iron MC900 clones.

The prices at the SCA near work are $149 and $199, respectively.

I've been hoping someone else who doesn't have a lathe will grab the $199 one, or I might have to explain to SWMBO why I have two lathe:rolleyes: (I don't count the GMC clone as as lathe anymore...)

Cheers,
Andrew

arose62
16th November 2006, 06:54 AM
My local library has the 3 Mike Darlow woodturning videos.

If you plan to watch them, make sure you have a black coffee/Red Bull/V or three, as he's one of the most boring narrators I have ever seen.

The content of the videos has been pretty useful to me - I borrow them again every few months, and FFW past the speaking bits.

Cheers,
Andrew

rona
18th November 2006, 05:06 PM
Hello Jack,
Listen, please, to all the replies regarding GMC, they are all spot on!
Do NOT under any circumstances spend (waste) your money on this rubbish.
GMC is 2nd from the bottom of my list regarding No - No's, The 1st is (and I am going to receive a lot of flak regading this), Triton. When I was an apprentice 45 years ago it was always drumed into us that under no circumstances do / or make improvisations on or with machinery of any type,
Triton is a good example of this............... if someone gave me a trailer full of triton gear i would send it to the recyclers, they may make a couple of dollars from it!.
Back to GMC.............. this is only a very cheap line of equipment mainly for outlets such as Bunnings etc.,and if you are serious about woodturning you need to look at better quality than this, even if you go second hand as there are occasionally some very good deals come up.
I'll sit back and wait for the stones now.

All the best,
Cheers,
Ron.

derekcohen
18th November 2006, 09:16 PM
Hi Ron

I share many of your sentiments, but ...

Having used the GMC lathe for the past 12 months - although I did ditch it just today in favour of the Jet mini - I feel that it should be said that the GMC is capable of being used productively. This should not be interpreted as a recommendation of the GMC lathe, just that it can work within a (very) narrow spectrum.

I may have got a good example because the head and tail stock would "kiss" spot on. I only used the front rail section, and even then only used the front half of that. Plus the bed was bolted down very securely to an immovable bench. The set up was as taught and rigid as I could make it. The tail stock flexes so do not extend it beyond about 10mm. Make sure you only use balanced pieces to turn. And that your chisels are sharp. Then you stand a chance.

I only used it for chisel and knife handles, and the odd mallet or so. Nothing over 9" generally. It was OK for this, OK to get one's feet wet. Just don't expect much more.

My GMC is retiring as a lathe and will be reborn as a sanding/grinding/honing centre.

Regards from Perth

Derek

rona
18th November 2006, 09:28 PM
Hi Derek,
Sounds like you were successful with your lathe, when you get the base firm and sound you are half way there, unfortunately GMC bounced onto the market about eighteen months ago and a lot of unsuspecting people got caught; the price was inviting so you are hooked. I suppose I am a bit biased as mine is a VL300 electronic speed model (Probably more spoilt than biased)
I presume you are purchasing another lathe, even a good second hand machine of better quality is worth considering.
Thanks for thr reply, and kind Regards,

Cheers, Ron.

Jack E
29th November 2006, 10:11 AM
Okay, the order is in.

I have ordered;

From Northwood:
Jet Mini Lathe
Extension Bed
Teknatool G3 Chuck

From Timbecon:
6 Piece cheapy chisel set

From Lee Valley:
Grinding Jig
Grinder Tool Rest.

Items still required;
White grinding wheel, unsure of width, any recommendations?
Any other suggestions on things I will need.

The Lathe is a christmas present.
I would like to get all I need so I can do a bit of turning on the day.

Yes I know I will need some blanks as well!

Cheers, Jack

lubbing5cherubs
29th November 2006, 02:06 PM
Mate you will not regret it for one minute getting the better lathe. But the lathe is the cheap part. :D then you always just need this or that
Toni

Cliff Rogers
29th November 2006, 04:04 PM
25mm Pin Jaws for the chuck & a forstner bit slightly larger than the closed diameter of the jaws.
Great for roughing out face plate work. Use the forstner bit to bung a hole about 10 to 20mm deep in the blank where the hollow will be & slap it over the pin jaws & open them up. Bring the tailstock up to rough it out & then move it away & make a foot that will suit the chuck.

I have the wide 200MM white 60 grit wheel & would like to swap it for a pink 80 grit one.
It has been working fine but I now have the wide blue 54 grit wheel & the white 60 grit wheel is very close to the same grit size. The pink 80 grit wheel is finer.

derekcohen
29th November 2006, 04:48 PM
I bought the Jet mini a few weeks ago and am pretty happy with it. As some of you know, I have turned a largish number of dovetail marking knives (see the For Sale section for pictures).

I have not yet bought a chuck for bowls. What options are there, with pros and cons?

The other point (pun intended) is the pointy bit in the headstock drops out. Is this correct? I am concerned that it will do so and get lost. Does one keep spares?

Regards from Perth

Derek

baxter
29th November 2006, 06:29 PM
The Lathe is a christmas present.
I would like to get all I need so I can do a bit of turning on the day.

Yes I know I will need some blanks as well!

Cheers, Jack

Jack you only said that you wanted a cheap lathe, you didn't mention that you wanted a budget review of your other requirements:p .

From here on in you are on your own:rolleyes: , but fortunately you will be able to smuggle bits into the shed little by little.:p

Just in case you don't manage to get everything you need in your Christmas stocking, I hope your birthday is early in the year.:D :D because it won't take long to realise that the lathe is the cheap part.

Jack E
29th November 2006, 07:59 PM
Jack you only said that you wanted a cheap lathe, you didn't mention that you wanted a budget review of your other requirements:p
I actually said

Can anybody recommend a cheapish set of chisels if they think the GMC ones won't cut it (pun intended:) )
How about a good video to get me started on the right path?
What I was implying is that I have no idea as far as turning is concerned so was after all the help I could get:D

My birthday has just been:mad:
I don't really have budget constraints (I am just a tight @rse).
I just buy what I need.
I'm not very good at sneaking things in so I just do it overtly and accept the consequences.:D

Cheers, Jack

Jack E
29th November 2006, 08:32 PM
25mm Pin Jaws for the chuck & a forstner bit slightly larger than the closed diameter of the jaws.
Great for roughing out face plate work. Use the forstner bit to bung a hole about 10 to 20mm deep in the blank where the hollow will be & slap it over the pin jaws & open them up. Bring the tailstock up to rough it out & then move it away & make a foot that will suit the chuck.

I have the wide 200MM white 60 grit wheel & would like to swap it for a pink 80 grit one.
It has been working fine but I now have the wide blue 54 grit wheel & the white 60 grit wheel is very close to the same grit size. The pink 80 grit wheel is finer.
Cliff,

I will see if Colin at Northwood can add the 25mm pin jaws to my order?

As far as the grinding wheels are concerned what would you reccommend?

How wide is your 60 grit wheel.

Should I get two, ie the 54 blue and the 80 pink you speak of or is one enough?

If so which one?

Do I need a felt wheel to hone or should I just ignore this part of the process as reccommended in other sharpening threads I have read in the turning forum?

I have a belt sander which was going to be made into Dereks sharpening set up but like I said, "was going to be":)
I have just been sharpening my plane blades and bench chisels with water stones, although I have ordered some diamond plates just to experiment:)

On the belt sander I have made the face sander part into a disc which is loaded with green rouge, I guess I may be able to use this to hone turning chisels instead of a felt wheel.

I have the cheap GMC $40 grinder which I purchased with my two $40 GMC fixed base routers a couple of years back, it has just been waiting for me to take up turning:)

Cheers, Jack

Sprog
29th November 2006, 08:36 PM
I have not yet bought a chuck for bowls. What options are there, with pros and cons?
The other point (pun intended) is the pointy bit in the headstock drops out. Is this correct? I am concerned that it will do so and get lost. Does one keep spares?
Derek

Forget the clones.

I like the Nova chucks because they are well made and the whole range of jaws will fit the whole range of chucks. You probably wouldn't want to put the large jaws on the Precision Midi and G3 chucks though. :D
Their Precision Midi and G3 chucks are excellent for mini/midi lathes.
Check out their web site for more info
http://www.teknatool.com/

Vicmarc chucks are also excellent chucks and Australian made.
http://www.vicmarc.com/

You will be very happy with either of these chucks.

Is this the pointy bit in the spur drive?
If it is, then it is usually a taper fit and pretty well stays put.
I prefer to use one of these rather than the spur drive
Cup Centre With Pin (http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsearch/default.aspx?txtSearchBox=0140167-W+)

SawDustSniffer
29th November 2006, 09:12 PM
i must admit i own a dinalink lathe / gonna be sander ,but not worthy!

should do a thread on how to turn it into a sander , weild brases to the head stock , fill the tubes with cement ect

i bought a set of cheep #### chisels , you want them ? (mild steel 10mm rod holds a better eadge )
soon sharpend an old file up and made a handle
3 inch ramset nails for parting tools
soldered old planer blades to one of the cheep chisels , that worked well
then found tungsten carbide inserts off metal lathes , ( thay hold an eadge )

so you can make scrapers out of any thing

but you will need a good gouge , dont bye the cheep set and spend $50 on one good gouge

for chucks i was temped 2 nights ago to bye a Nova super chuck with 4 sets of jaws , US$300 on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUPER-NOVA-SUPERNOVA-2-CHUCK-W-4-JAW-SETS-AND-ACC_W0QQitemZ160054951532QQihZ006QQcategoryZ42282QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
but though that i would like a chuck for each set of jaws , so held off . i wont bid on it

the lathe is cheep , spend a $1000 on a lathe and you will spend more on bits ( a copying would be nice as well )

hope i helped with my finger tapping diarea

hughie
30th November 2006, 12:35 AM
for chucks i was temped 2 nights ago to bye a Nova super chuck with 4 sets of jaws , US$300 on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUPER-NOVA-SUPERNOVA-2-CHUCK-W-4-JAW-SETS-AND-ACC_W0QQitemZ160054951532QQihZ006QQcategoryZ42282QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
but though that i would like a chuck for each set of jaws , so held off . i wont bid on it

Well done on the resistance! several chucks are much better... I got five of the suckers, best thing I ever did. Bought the last two through Jim Carroll, companion chucks as I had some spare jaws.

Thanks Jim for the great service.

Hmmmmm if you buy a companion chuck [ save some money there ;) :D ], I got a couple of sets of 50mm jaws to fit a SN2, you can have a set for the postage or a lump of timber...:D :D just pm me if its a goer.

Cliff Rogers
30th November 2006, 09:35 AM
...How wide is your 60 grit wheel.
40mm

Should I get two, ie the 54 blue and the 80 pink you speak of ....
If you can afford it, that is what I would have.

...or is one enough? If so which one?
George Hatfield reckons just the 40mm 54 grit Bluemax. It costs more but it is very open & doesn't heat the tool as much while grinding. Now that I have the blue wheel I don't use the white one much at all.

Do I need a felt wheel to hone or should I just ignore this part of the process as reccommended in other sharpening threads I have read in the turning forum?
I have some buffs that I use on an old washing machine motor but I don't use them every time I sharpen. I just use them to polish up the shafts & flutes & then wax them. The buffs don't do a good job of honing as they round the edge over.

On the belt sander I have made the face sander part into a disc which is loaded with green rouge, I guess I may be able to use this to hone turning chisels instead of a felt wheel.
Save it for your other woodwork tools, I have a small diamond hone that I give the edge a rub with by hand from time to time.

In summarry, buy the 40mm blue instead of the white &,
if you can afford it, get a 40mm pink as well.
Also get a small hand held fine diamond hone.

Use the blue wheel for grinding & shaping the tool.
Use the pink wheel for touch up sharpening.
Use the hand held hone if you want an edge that will shave your arm.

When you get your new tools, start by polishing them, inside & out with a buff.
Then sharpen them.
Then rub some Ubeaut Trad Wax or similar on them to slow up the rust.

After that, you just give them a touch up & a hone & rub a bit more wax on.

baxter
30th November 2006, 12:03 PM
I have the cheap GMC $40 grinder which I purchased with my two $40 GMC fixed base routers a couple of years back, it has just been waiting for me to take up turning:)
Cheers, Jack

From this I assume that you intend using the grinding wheels that Cliff has recommended on the GMC grinder (haven't checked through the previous posts to see if this is not the case:D ). I am not familiar with the GMC, but I have recollection that the ones I have seen, in Bunnies, only have narrow grinding wheels and close fitting covers. Check that the shafts are long enough to take the wider wheels which are the go for sharpening turning tools.

If the GMC needs upgrading then consider a slow speed grinder and set it up with the jig and rest you have on order from Lee Valley. Carba-tec have one in their catalogue for $199 (comes with a 8" x 30mm aluminium oxide wheel). Not sure whether Northwoods have a similar model, but it would be a good time to get the right griinder before setting up the jig when it arrives.

Of course you could go for the Tormek or Scheppach which come with the larger wheels and slow speeds.:D

Cliff Rogers
30th November 2006, 12:41 PM
...Of course you could go for the Tormek or Scheppach which come with the larger wheels and slow speeds.:D

I have one... too slow; I went back to the regular grinder. ;)

Jack E
30th November 2006, 06:21 PM
In summarry, buy the 40mm blue instead of the white &,
if you can afford it, get a 40mm pink as well.
Also get a small hand held fine diamond hone.

Use the blue wheel for grinding & shaping the tool.
Use the pink wheel for touch up sharpening.
Use the hand held hone if you want an edge that will shave your arm.

Cliff,

Is it possible for you to provide the makers and part numbers of the blue and pink wheels.

I have tried Glenfords and Blackwoods and they are no help (although I did buy the fine and ordered the medium of those wheels which Major Panic uses for restoring planes).

My GMC benchy will only take one inch wheels though, so I may have to buy a new grinder.

Then again, the grinding jig I have ordered from LV will only suit a one inch wheel. Is one inch wide enough, if not I am sure I could modify the grinding jig.

Cheers, Jack

Cliff Rogers
30th November 2006, 07:52 PM
Easy. :D

http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107133415

Damn, look at that, he even put the Diamond hones on the same page. :eek:

Jack E
30th November 2006, 08:29 PM
Thank you:)

Cheers, Jack

SawDustSniffer
1st December 2006, 01:32 AM
Well done on the resistance! several chucks are much better... I got five of the suckers, best thing I ever did. Bought the last two through Jim Carroll, companion chucks as I had some spare jaws.

Thanks Jim for the great service.

Hmmmmm if you buy a companion chuck [ save some money there ;) :D ], I got a couple of sets of 50mm jaws to fit a SN2, you can have a set for the postage or a lump of timber...:D :D just pm me if its a goer.

thats a great offer hughie , i might just have to take you up on it
your in luck ,i have a cubic meter coming up from WWW.aussieburls.com (http://www.aussieburls.com) in tazzie , it's not here yet but when i get them you can take your pic from
1 a myrtle Burl
2 a jarra burl
3 a eucalypt resin burl ( looks like a brain )

or chunk of old salvaged Iron bark 65mm x 170 x 600mm will have to get the tape out to check the size ,but about that

Jack E
6th December 2006, 07:07 PM
Cliff,

I am interested in buying the Bluemax 54 grit and the Abrasaflex pink 80 grit.
Both in 40mm.
I have an A&A 200mm grinder which when compared to the Makita you have shown pics of on the BB looks exactly the same as far as the shaft is concerned.

Is it possible to fit 40mm wheels to these griders? I am guessing it is because it seems to be what you have done.

From the pics you linked to on GPW's site, the blue max looks to be narrower than 40mm where the flanges will be in contact.
Is this the case?
Do you know if the 40mm 80 grit pink wheel also has this recess?

If so I should be able to mount them as the A&A grinder guards are wide enough to accept 40mm.

Cheers, Jack.

Cliff Rogers
7th December 2006, 11:14 AM
Should be the case.
Send Gary an e-mail & ask him. [email protected] ([email protected])

Did you look at this thread?
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=37459
It shows how I modified the covers with spacers.

rsser
7th December 2006, 12:35 PM
Following Cliff's sharpening regime, I'd also recommend a slipstone to improve the flutes on most gouges. Henry Taylor polish theirs several times it's said and they won't need it but for cheaper gouges you'll often see the milling marks still in the flute and they don't help.

Jack E
9th December 2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks Ern, I will add a slipstone to the list.

So far I have ordered/recieved:
Jet mini Lathe,
Nove G3 chuck
25mm pin jaws,
6 Chisel set (Timbecon)
Mike Darlow DVD set
A&A 8" grinder,
60 grit pink wheel.
Veritas grinder tool rest and tool holder
Fine diamond hone.

I think I will order the bluemax 54 grit and the pink 80 grit, both 1.5".

Whoever said the lathe was the cheap part was spot on.

I haven't even bought any wood yet to start on:)

Cheers, Jack.

baxter
9th December 2006, 07:09 PM
Whoever said the lathe was the cheap part was spot on.

I haven't even bought any wood yet to start on:)

Cheers, Jack.

WOOD:eek: wood:eek: don't you just intend drooling over your lathe and grinder. Staring at them. Dreaming about what you might:D be able to make if only you had that right piece of wood:) :)

You need wood as well as the tools?????:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Why wasn't I told before this.:( :(

And Jack, even with the wood you have only just begun the journey:D :D

lubbing5cherubs
9th December 2006, 08:37 PM
wood to play and learn on go for a drive til you find a man with local landscaper or council,that cutting down tree. dump go for a drive along highway looking for a fallen tree. Wood everywhere. I know some of it green but least you can play.
Toni

tashammer
9th December 2006, 08:55 PM
ideally what you really need is a handicapped scooter with b-double trays, plus small petrol chainsaw and one electric chainsaw. go for little drives, knock on doors. if no one answers, cleanse their garden of trees, leave bill for work - use petrol/gasoline saw; if someone does answer, inform them of your new tree and limb trimming service, plug electric saw in, cleanse trees and limbs, thank them, don't forget to unplug saw.:D

SawDustSniffer
10th December 2006, 02:46 AM
um how can i convince the local park ranger at burls are skin cancer in trees and charge him $60 per hour to remove them ?? he has some nice paper bark burls that will break my weelbarow just 100m from his office/ house ,

ive found the local green waste dump a treasure trove of diffent trees , i hire a 2 foot chain saw over the week ends for $60 and save my nice new one from the abuse ( hire companys expect that )

your timber collection will become a labour of love , checking new blanks for any sign of cracking every week , covering with gabage bags on dry weeks and letting them breath when the humidity's up
watch out for the wind , that will suck the mosture out too quick , or you can turn them green and " nuke "um then finish turning then once there dry , ( some cases nead stiching up with leather but thay all turn out good )