PDA

View Full Version : Square Edged Hollow Form

Gil Jones
16th November 2006, 01:10 PM
About 114 mm by 114mm, made of Red Oak, with an ebonized White Oak collar, and the walls are 4mm thick. Two coats of Tru Oil, rubbed out with 0000 steelwool, and lightly buffed. This is my first square edge that worked, and left my fingers in place too.

DJ’s Timber
16th November 2006, 01:25 PM
Great effort Gil, it looks very nice.

Good to hear that you still have your fingers

Rookie
16th November 2006, 02:37 PM
Jeez I'm miles away from that. Just threw a piece of merbau across the workshop.

Nice job Gil.

Off to practice again now. .. bye

ss_11000
16th November 2006, 03:33 PM
great work gil. really nice design

TTIT
16th November 2006, 04:20 PM
Good stuff Gil :) Curious - How big do you make the hole in the collar? Do you seal the inside?
On the first few square edge pieces I did, I glued waste pine on the 4 sides so there was something to turn and sand - much easier on the knuckles and leaves nice crisp edges (if the piece asks for them!) when you break them off at the finish (or accidentally during turning DAMHIKT).:o

BernieP
16th November 2006, 06:07 PM
G'Day Gil

Very nice piece, love the form and grain, what did you use to ebonize the collar?

Cheers Bernie

joe greiner
16th November 2006, 10:02 PM
Excellent work as usual Gil. Beautiful the way this shape displays rings both ways. 4mm oak: Must've sounded like a fire engine.

Joe

powderpost
16th November 2006, 11:02 PM
Gil, Nice job but take TTIT's advice and glue some waste on the four sides. You will be much more relaxed while turning.
Jim

hughie
17th November 2006, 12:31 AM
About 114 mm by 114mm, made of Red Oak, with an ebonized White Oak collar, and the walls are 4mm thick. Two coats of Tru Oil, rubbed out with 0000 steelwool, and lightly buffed. This is my first square edge that worked, and left my fingers in place too

Nice one Gil, Your a dab hand on the collars. Hmmm haven't tried square turning....sigh another idea for the list.

Gil Jones
17th November 2006, 06:29 AM
Thanks to y'all for the comments.
TTIT, the hole in the collar is 9.5mm, and the collar is glued in a 28.5mm hole in the hollow form. I understand your idea of glued on side blocks, but it would diminish the challenge a bit. I did use a glue-on waste block on the base (to save wood), but no others. (edit: forgot TTIT's query>) The inside is coated with Walnut oil.
Bernie, see the ebonizing file here (the #8 post in this thread)> http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=33177, it is very easy.
Joe, to me, it just sounded like wood being cut usually does. Maybe if it where a larger piece there would have been more sound (?). I will bring it along to the December club meeting/dinner.

bikerboy
18th November 2006, 07:24 AM
that looks ok boy,and at least it won't fall over:D ....

BernieP
18th November 2006, 09:28 PM
G'Day Gil

Thanks for info about ebony.

Cheers
Bernie

Gil Jones
19th November 2006, 04:29 PM
You are welcome, Bernie.
Check your email, and see if that message I sent came through.

BernieP
19th November 2006, 10:07 PM
G'Day Gil,

Received and appreciated thanks Gil

Cheers
Bernie

OGYT
20th November 2006, 12:44 PM
Glad you still got your fingers, Gil.:p Like the wings... But will it fly?:eek:
Good job on the HF. Collars are fun... haven't tried the ebonizing yet, but I did get a copy of the file. Thanks.:D