PDA

View Full Version : boxes for Christmas

hughie
17th November 2006, 10:03 AM
I had a request from a higher power :D

To produce Christmas presents.........some boxes. Boxes are not really my forte so I laboured over them a bit :( :D

Camphor Laurel and Elm....maybe Chinese or Carpathian? Dunno. The finial on the Camphor is Gidgee imported from Queensland.

They stand 6''x6'' [150mmx150mm] and 4.5''x 5.5'' [115x140mm] respectively. Finished with Shellawax Glow.

Excuse the quality of the pics, one of these days I will build a photo box thingy and get into it.

I would appreciate some feed back from all the box makers out there.

goat
17th November 2006, 10:06 AM
very nice mate:)

DJ’s Timber
17th November 2006, 10:14 AM
Very nice Hughie, really like the first one

ptc
17th November 2006, 10:31 AM
Love them.
nice finish as well

Gil Jones
17th November 2006, 01:31 PM
The prevailing "higher powers" should be well pleased with your offering, mate.:D
Keep up the fine gouge weilding.
Cheers,
Gil

BernieP
17th November 2006, 06:33 PM
G'Day Hughie,

Very nice boxes, never tried them but goes on the list for 2007, thanks for pics

cheers
Bernie

Terry B
17th November 2006, 09:28 PM
I like them.
A bit of a misnomer though. I always thought a box was, well box shaped.:D They look mighty round.
I must give the idea a go.

tashammer
17th November 2006, 10:13 PM
i like them too. The camphor laurel is a beautiful bit of wood.

box? dunno about box...i would put them in a box. There again a hat box may be round, oval etc.

How about a lidded jar? or a vessel with a lid.

Caveman
18th November 2006, 12:47 AM
G'day Hughie - Muzuri sana!

I have only made a few boxes - really struggled against the end grain. I guess that's what practice is all about.

Like them both, but the CL one really looks neat - lovely wood that. Certainly never come across that out here!!!

hughie
18th November 2006, 01:14 AM
box? dunno about box...i would put them in a box. There again a hat box may be round, oval etc.

How about a lidded jar? or a vessel with a lid.
[/quote]

Yeah your probably right, boxes supposed to have corners.:D

I have only made a few boxes - really struggled against the end grain. I guess that's what practice is all about.

Like them both, but the CL one really looks neat - lovely wood that. Certainly never come across that out here

Asante, asante ! The CL is about 4-5mm thick, soft wood easy to turn. The Elm is hard but takes a good finish.

Have a look here some good info re end grain. Check out the ring tool

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/endgrain.shtml
http://www.turningtools.co.uk/wtintro/grain/grain.html
http://www.oneway.on.ca/tools/termite.htm

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th November 2006, 01:39 AM
Yeah your probably right, boxes supposed to have corners.:D

Well... there is a precedent. Boxers have square rings... :D

I like 'em both, although I think the second may've been better with a more tapered lid or maybe a small finial, to give it some height. 'Tis a tad squat for my taste, but that's only a personal thing.

bikerboy
18th November 2006, 07:31 AM
Hughie ow m8, I like'um,both ov'um look dam good,silly question,but do you use a hollowing tool to take the inside out,and how far down do you go??? or in other words, is the inside the same shape as the outside???
See, I want to have a go at hollow forms, and don't know where to start,some thing easy at first? and also what are the better tools to get for the job???sorry if this is a bit of a hijack to your thread....

stevesandy
18th November 2006, 08:46 AM
hughie Love the boxes:) You could try using fabric in a contrasting colour as a backdrop to highlight your lovely work:cool:
All the best
STEVE

Tiger
18th November 2006, 08:59 AM
I'll take them all thanks :D .

hughie
18th November 2006, 11:16 AM
I think the second may've been better with a more tapered lid or maybe a small finial, to give it some height. 'Tis a tad squat for my taste, but that's only a personal thing.

yep, I agree,the squat one started out as something else...candle holder..but
;) :D the powers....but she likes it..... :D got away with that one;)

or in other words, is the inside the same shape as the outside???
See, I want to have a go at hollow forms, and don't know where to start,some thing easy at first? and also what are the better tools to get for the job???sorry if this is a bit of a hijack to your thread....

No worries.one of the best things about this forum, is that there are no dumb questions. :D

OK the Camphor follows the outside shape and is 4-5mm thick all over. The Elm has a very thick base 20mm or so.
I would not worry about getting the wall thickness spot on. It was some thing I worked up to , plus you get to improve your reaction time as well......:eek: :eek: :eek: ducking flying firewood. :D
Tools, well its gotta have a bend in it for me so as to get around the corners. Theres plenty been said on the forum re hollowing tools, just do a search and away you go.

You could try using fabric in a contrasting colour as a backdrop to highlight your lovely work:cool:

yeah I've really got to work on that one, plus lighting, plus foto skills.:o

Appreciate all your comments

rsser
18th November 2006, 11:42 AM
yeah, and stand upright when you shoot ;-}

The CL version has a shape that strongly accentuates the figure; all up a striking effect. Nice work.

Cliff Rogers
18th November 2006, 12:22 PM
..... Boxers have square rings... :D.....
Arh yes but... they fight in rounds. ;)

Nice job Hughie, I just started making some too.
The 1st pic is of a piece of NG Rosewood 70mm x 100mm & it is not quiet tall enough to hold ear buds (better luck next time) & a needle box 120mm x 20mm made of Dead Finish.
The 2nd pic is more like a lidded hollow form than a box, 125mm x 50mm.
The timber for the hollow form is something from NG but I am not sure of the name.
The lid is a piece of Australian Native Bauhinia (Lysiphyllum carronii I think).
I have decided that the lid doesn't match so I am looking for something darker to make a new lid.

Excuse the crappy photos, I am hoping for a new camera for Christmas.

rsser
18th November 2006, 12:33 PM
This was my second attempt at a lidded box ... lid a bit sloppy on this one. It's about 3" high. Tassie Blackwood.

hughie
18th November 2006, 02:19 PM
This was my second attempt at a lidded box ... lid a bit sloppy on this one. It's about 3" high. Tassie Blackwood

Ern, nice timber Blackwood. These two are my 3rd n 4th attempt you dont wanna see first ones :D woeful shape!

The 2nd pic is more like a lidded hollow form than a box, 125mm x 50mm.
The timber for the hollow form is something from NG but I am not sure of the name.

By jeez Cliff nice looking timber. I never quite know where the hollow form stops and the box starts :confused:

Thanks guys

rsser
18th November 2006, 03:26 PM
Yeah, my first was a dog, but the lid fitted like a dream. Go figure. Guilio M recommends turning it all with a tight lid and letting it sit for a month to see if the rim needs releiving.

Cliff, no. 2 is drop dead gorgeous.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th November 2006, 05:19 PM
A couple of years ago, before I got hooked on goblets, small lidded boxes were my "thing." (Just after the "What? MORE bowls?" episode with SWMBO. :D)

I did a run of about 25 from a River Redgum sleeper, the first couple hit the chipper but by the time I started on the last five or six I was so, so proud of myself. About 4" dia by 2" high, looking like little Chinese pagoda's with fancy finials and decorations. So proud I was... until a few weeks later I noticed that one or two had moved. Another couple of weeks and they'd all moved, mutating into quite attractive ovalled boxes, about 3.5"x4.5"

Pity the lids didn't follow suit. :o

Cliff Rogers
20th November 2006, 11:17 AM
....Cliff, no. 2 is drop dead gorgeous.

Thanks, I still want to make a darker lid for it.

OGYT
20th November 2006, 11:38 AM
Been tagged with a 30 second attention span for the last 3 weeks. Can't stay on line for more than a few minutes. :o(
Hughie, those are really nice boxes. Don't care if they have corners or not... (run for th' roundhouse, Mabel, he can't corner ya there.)
I can't get any made that the lid stays with th' box. They all wobble.
Good job. Make a bunch an' she'll love ya for it. :o)

TTIT
20th November 2006, 05:03 PM
I reckon tight fitting lids are seriously over-rated!(IMHO). Watch someone going through your wares and note - when they 'look' at a lidded pot or box, they invariably pick it up by the finial or knob. If it's a 'vacuum' fit, the box will come with the lid, usually only until it is directly above something equally fragile, at which point the 'vacuum' lets go and you have splinters, scratches and dents everywhere :o. DAMHIKT. Leave 'em loose I say! (and do!) ;):D

Caveman
20th November 2006, 05:32 PM
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/endgrain.shtml
http://www.turningtools.co.uk/wtintro/grain/grain.html
http://www.oneway.on.ca/tools/termite.htm[/quote]

Hey Hughie - cheers for the links. Good useful info - as usual.
Thanks.

rsser
20th November 2006, 06:56 PM
I reckon tight fitting lids are seriously over-rated!(IMHO). Watch someone going through your wares and note - when they 'look' at a lidded pot or box, they invariably pick it up by the finial or knob. If it's a 'vacuum' fit, the box will come with the lid, usually only until it is directly above something equally fragile, at which point the 'vacuum' lets go and you have splinters, scratches and dents everywhere :o. DAMHIKT. Leave 'em loose I say! (and do!) ;):D

Think it's a market segment thing:

doing it for myself, I like the suck

doing it for the US market, the suck is worth another 60 bucks I'm told (jokes aside!)

rodent
8th February 2007, 01:03 AM
nice boxes by all that blackwood can be a ******* cant it ern but its all a learning curve i just wish that a lot of it wasent down hill.

rsser
8th February 2007, 07:13 AM
LOL. And the trouble is you only realise it's downhill when you look back ;-}