PDA

View Full Version : fixed or plunge

flippit
26th April 2003, 12:49 AM
I'm about to buy a router and can't decide between a fixed or plunge router, what are advantages and disadvatages of both types?

Rowsell
26th April 2003, 02:10 AM
It depends on what you want to do with it.
If its to stay in a router table you would probably only need a
fixed base router. However, for most free hand ops, I would
suggest a plunge router. A plunge router can be locked in
position (basically thats a fixed base), but the added benefits
of plunge operations are endless. They cost more but the
payoff is worth it. If your plans are for raised panels and
stiles you definately need a 1/2 collet size. You will have
the 1/4" capability with a 1/2" ! Again, all depends on what
your needs are. Selecting a router is also a bit like choosing
a guitar. (I play). You need to pick it up see how it feels.
Weight, feel etc., are important factors.

Hope that helps!!

RR

Dean
26th April 2003, 08:13 AM
A fixed can never be a plunge
A plunge can always be a fixed

:)

If money is no problem, go for the Triton 3.25HP 1/2" Precision Router. Can't be beat... Even the Triton cringers have trouble arguing with that!

Template Tom
27th April 2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by flippit
I'm about to buy a router and can't decide between a fixed or plunge router, what are advantages and disadvatages of both types? :p

Flippit

Certainly go for the Plunge Router if you are to have only the one router. When selecting a router make sure it can be used in the router table as well as being suitable for plunge routing.
As I do most of my routing in the plunge mode I also select a router that is capable of taking a 40mm template guide. This accessory has been ignored for years and I consider it to be the most important accessory available for the router. So make sure your choice of router can take 40mm guides.If you wish any futher information email me

derekcohen
28th April 2003, 04:18 AM
There are router systems available now that sell a a router unit together with both fixed- and plunger base units. Porter-Cable do one, as do De Walt. It would be very handy to fix the fix-base into a router table, which would make removal easy. Then use the plunge base for everything else.

That's what I'd do if starting from scratch. As it is, I use a plunge router (big Elu and small Makita).

Regards from Perth

Derek

flippit
28th April 2003, 06:02 AM
Sounds like a plunge is the best option, thanks for all the advice its very useful.