PDA

View Full Version : personal respirators?

sandman
13th June 2002, 11:26 PM
I'm looking to purchase a good quality dust helmet/ respirator and am interested in feedback from anyone using one.
Regards, Sandman.

q9
16th January 2003, 01:02 PM
I have a brand new 3M personal respirator, very soft silicone rubber, lightweight. Using solvent type filters + dust pads. Cost is about $90 (break down - mask $70, filters $18/pair dust pads $5/pair, roughly). But work bought me mine. Very comfortable for long time use and can be worn under a standard face shield.

Eastie
16th January 2003, 02:36 PM
I use a survivair 2000 series half face respirator. Had it for about five years – very comfortable for a respirator. Uses dual filter cartridges at about $10 ea.
Also consider filter life.

For woodturning I’d consider investing in a hood with some sort of remote filters and airline due to the level of dust often encountered and cost of replacing filters

A search for dust hoods or similar should drag up a couple of posts on similar.

rsser
17th January 2003, 05:48 AM
With a beard and glasses, a respirator was out for me, so I use a Trend Airshield filtered visor. Not cheap but it works a treat.

Triton are bringing out a filtered visor - it will have the filter unit on a waistbelt pumping air to what looks like a traditional helmet/visor combo. They claim it will be cheaper than similar units from overseas.

Then there's the question of safety standards. Check out the postings on rec.crafts.woodturning

Cheers,

Ern

Badger
18th January 2003, 08:52 PM
I have a 3M full filter mask - works great although a back-up battery would be great but at $90 I continue to limit my turning to 4-5 hours. Only trouble I have had is forgetting to turn the fan on - then wondering why it's getting so hot and stuffy!

------------------
Badger - A gruff short tempered animal that sleeps most of the winter

BrianR
20th January 2003, 11:05 AM
If its any help, I described how to make a 10hr battery pack for the Purlite for about $16. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif Do a search under "battery purelite". The Purelite battery lasts about 4hrs and a replacement costs around $90 so I expect they are very similar if not identical.

From a useage view, the Purelite (or Trend I think) works very well.