PDA

View Full Version : Old Chisels

thefixer
17th November 2006, 10:38 PM
G'day All

A mate came around tonight for a quiet ale or two and brought with him some chisels he thought I may be interested in. He is a 67 year old retired cabinet maker and he inherited these little beauties from his father who was also a cabinet maker. The first five chisels from the top of the pic are all stamped S.J. ADDIS and as far as I can tell from my research they were made in England somewhere between 1860 and 1900. The last one is stamped "SWEDEN" with a trademark I can't see. Hope someone can help me identify this one. Looks like a bloody good gouge though.
Anyway I was so excited at being given these manificent examples that I wanted to share my elation with you all.

Gino
17th November 2006, 11:16 PM
Don't have a lot to say but a swedish brand of chisel which is no longer around was the "shark" brand, my father had one.

regards

Gino

derekcohen
17th November 2006, 11:17 PM
That last gouge was made by Berg.

Very nice chisels.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Clinton1
18th November 2006, 12:07 AM
Thats a good mate you've got.
The chisels will be good when you get them back in service... I've got my eye out for some Addis or Dastra and they are not often cheap.

Shedhand
18th November 2006, 12:11 AM
Erik Anton Berg - Ekilstuna- Sweden
Fine chisels. I've bought quite a few over the past 12 months. (As users not collectables) Not cheap.
You have a very good mate.

Clinton1
18th November 2006, 12:33 AM
Sheddie,
What would you say is a 'good' price to buy EAB chisels at?
Thanks

Shedhand
18th November 2006, 12:53 AM
Sheddie,
What would you say is a 'good' price to buy EAB chisels at?
ThanksI've paid from 30 bucks (for a 6mm) to 70 bucks (for a 50mm)
Average price in reasonable nick, about 35 bucks each. I think I have about 16 of them (some duplicates in the smaller sizes). They are all waiting patiently for me to get around to making them useable.

derekcohen
18th November 2006, 12:58 AM
I don't think Sheddie is really qualified to state a price - he has been buying them all, outbidding everyone, driven in a mad frenzy to take control of the market :D

Seriously, I began buying Berg chisels several years ago and a good price (for a decent blade and decent handle) was about $10. In the past year the price has been driven up on eBay to about $50 each by (what I consider to be) naive buyers. They will bid up prices on poor quality chisels - as if they cannot tell the difference between good and bad. $50 for a Berg is crazy - this is taking them close to the price of a new LN. I would not bid past about $20 per (decent) Berg.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Shedhand
18th November 2006, 01:24 AM
Only one of the EABs I have has a dodgy handle. The ferrule has been fairly well hammered and the wood within the ferrule is "brushy". Its a 32mm chisel and I think I only paid about $US20 for it. The blade was in excellent condition which I thought was odd.
Anyway I have all the EABs I need now and when I get to refurbishing them I'll make up a set for myself and on-sell the rest.
Same with all the Stanley planes I've bought. Make myself a nice set of users and sell the others.

Clinton1
18th November 2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks Gentlemen.

(now I hope neither of you take me calling you Gentlemen as an insult! :D )