PDA

View Full Version : Fresh off the lathe

rsser
18th November 2006, 11:14 AM
Many thanks to Peter for sourcing the blackwood burl - a gem.

And thanks to Hughie for the elm. The shape was dictated by a desire to keep the bark flashes and a bit of heartwood on the rim.

Both are around 19 x 9cm and finished with DO.

hughie
18th November 2006, 11:29 AM
Many thanks to Peter for sourcing the blackwood burl - a gem.
And thanks to Hughie for the elm. The shape was dictated by a desire to keep the bark flashes and a bit of heartwood on the rim.
Both are around 19 x 9cm and finished with DO.
[/QUOTE]

Ern, Well done! I like the Burl great piece of timber and turning. Hmmm the Elm, its shape is just about identical to what I have done with the Walnut. So I gotta like that one :D .

Gil Jones
18th November 2006, 11:42 AM
Fine work on those two bowls, Ern!!
You sure do have some great looking burls there.

rsser
18th November 2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks guys.

Ironic about arriving at similar forms Hughie! Post a pic?

btw, a photo tip: I just use a large square of neoprene from Clark rubber; black on one side and beige on the other. Drape it on a table with the rear edge lifted up and resting against a book. Diffuse side light from a window is best, the sun today gave me a contrast problem.

The burl was rock hard and the grain prone to tearing and chipping. Ended up roughing the inside with a gouge but when that started jumping around I moved first to flat then shear scraping.

Peter, I had another go at the goblet, trying to thin the stem. She was whipping around at the bowl end so I got some nice accidental spiralling. Will have to try again supporting the bowl with the tailstock.

Cliff Rogers
18th November 2006, 01:05 PM
Nice job Ern, like your tip with the backing for the photos.

Whats DO, is that another form of cow poo? :confused:

rsser
18th November 2006, 01:08 PM
... as in do do's? Nah, Danish Oil. Rustins; buffed. Actually should've used my Ubeaut ####hot wax stick for the elm; along with Oak that's what it excels at cos the grain is so open.

Edit: good grief, the auto editor zapped the name of the forum sponsor's product!!

So substitute Sh*t for #### ;-}

hughie
18th November 2006, 01:57 PM
[

Ironic about arriving at similar forms Hughie! Post a pic?

Ern Thanks for the tip.Complete with worm holes, finished with organoil then Glow Shellawax.

dai sensei
18th November 2006, 02:18 PM
Beautiful bowls Ern, especially the burl:) . I like the darker back ground in the photos to bring out the grain of the lighter timbers:cool: , shame about the focus on the second shot, but the shot does show the shape well.

rsser
18th November 2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks Dai.

Yep, sloppy focus, noticed as soon as it went up. Better version below.

And Peter, here's the 'horizontal' goblet. Not pretty but done! Tailstock support did the trick. Also learned that a sharp gouge is essential with the bevel rubbing and forget about scrapers. Thanks for the challenge ;-} Finished with DO and wax.

Grizz
18th November 2006, 07:08 PM
Very nice work Ern. Love the bowls.

Grizz.

DJ’s Timber
18th November 2006, 08:22 PM
Very nice Ern, that burl looks very nice

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th November 2006, 08:24 PM
And Peter, here's the 'horizontal' goblet. Not pretty but done! Tailstock support did the trick. Also learned that a sharp gouge is essential with the bevel rubbing and forget about scrapers. Thanks for the challenge ;-} Finished with DO and wax.

This is the one that was giving you grief? I like the clean lines, it's good to see it make it out of the shed at last. :)

Caveman
20th November 2006, 06:16 PM
Ern - nice couple of bowls. Really like the blackwood burl - lovely shape. Each to their own, but that's got to be one of my fav. shapes - nothing too fancy but just looks great IMO.

Forgive me for taking the liberty of 'adjusting' your photo - it was a wee bit dark for my screen so I lightened it a wee bit - I just wanted to see the whole 'curve' of the bowl. I know a bit of the definition of the wood is lost but at least the whole shape / line is clear.

Any chance of a picture of the foot.

rsser
20th November 2006, 06:32 PM
Thanks again guys.

And thanks for your photoshopping Caveman.

The foot just has five toes ;-}

Nah, it's just a recess with slightly inward sloping walls on each side and couple of grooves on the flat side ... the way I was taught. Tend to a spigot these days though it's a bit more fuss.

Edit: yep, Skew, the goblet was my nemesis. Used your tip about tailstock support.

ptc
20th November 2006, 07:22 PM
Looks good to me Ern.
I mean the beast Would not Know it was There.

TTIT
20th November 2006, 11:39 PM
So this is what I can expect from my Stubby eh ?!?! Nice stuff Ern. The Blackwood burl is pretty flash.:)

Actually just dreamin' about the stubby - haven't been game to call for a quote yet - will just blow away the fantasy!:o

rsser
22nd November 2006, 09:04 PM
No Vern, as ptc keeps reminding me, rightly, the beast barely notices a blank like that one; it will do up to a metre in diam and around 80 cm or so in depth :eek:

I'm trying to spalt a big lump of Silver Birch to test it out which might with a bit of luck end up as a three-way crotch and without will warm the family room next winter.

But thanks for the feedback.

Still got that fine piece of gidgee to shorten my best gouges by a few mils to do too.