PDA

View Full Version : help needed

fxst
27th April 2003, 09:42 PM
guys I have a gmc:rolleyes: 1/2 inch plunge router that I bought soley for the triton router table and as it was cheap I figured I could remove the spring but nope I have no idea how to get rid of the lil bugger.
I dont want to wreck my other pluge routers (1/4inch)
anyone got a clue and maybe some pics to show me he way?
Pete

kenmil
27th April 2003, 09:48 PM
I have the 2400 watt model, and I could not solve this problem either, so I bought a Triton today.(expensive solution)
You might try emailing GMC at the following - [email protected]. You will find Peter very helpful.

Dean
28th April 2003, 11:01 AM
as drasti as it sounds but what about somewhow trying to cut it away with wire cutters or hacksaw one section of the spring and then spiral-wind it off?

Would that work? Just thinking in my head :)

John Saxton
28th April 2003, 09:13 PM
Question Pete,Why would anyone want to remove the spring/s on their plunge router?
I guess if out of necessity then DEANS response looks like the only way unless GMC can help!
Cheers:)

kenmil
28th April 2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by John Saxton
Question Pete,Why would anyone want to remove the spring/s on their plunge router?
I guess if out of necessity then DEANS response looks like the only way unless GMC can help!

It makes it much easier to raise and lower when in a router table. Triton actually recommend it on their router and provide a simple release mechanism.(Which can take your head off if you are not prepared for its release, by the way.):o

Dean
28th April 2003, 10:27 PM
Triton spring nearly did take my head off...

Tough little bugger to get back in as well!

John Saxton
28th April 2003, 10:35 PM
Thanks Ken,wasn't aware of that with the Triton ...at least when I had one some time back!

mikmaz1
28th April 2003, 11:24 PM
hey fxst,
how about attaching a crank / handle to your routers plunge winding mechanism . there is a couple of pics in patrick spielmans book ,router handbook.
i have done similar & it is easy to wind the router up & down.
seeyasoon mik.

arose62
29th April 2003, 12:37 PM
I've seen a guy mount a car scissor jack under his router in the router table.
The jack handle was led out the side of the table, so he just twirled the handle to raise/lower the router.

Cheers,
Andrew

fxst
30th April 2003, 10:18 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions I will email pete and see what transpires I feel adding stuff to it makes it as dear as a good one like the triton so its wait and see and/or live with it

fxst
4th May 2003, 02:02 AM
Hi guys found the way to remove springs once I looked harder
Now its a easy adjust 1/2 inch table router.
Pete

kenmil
4th May 2003, 02:14 AM
Are you going to share the secret ?

fxst
4th May 2003, 10:51 PM
sorry :D
Just undo the 2 allen screws holding the baseplate to the legs and tap off the baseplate. the small spring is in the small leg (duh)
remove the big black dust chute as the big sucker hides there
replace base plate nad it works like a new one
Pete

Stuart
5th May 2003, 10:01 PM
You can't really call something your own until you modify it :)