PDA

View Full Version : The Leady Lathe - I think that's the way I'll go

Hardenfast
21st November 2006, 10:13 AM
Many thanks for previous advice and responses to my earlier posts re lathe choices, gentlemen.

After perusing all options and leads I have decided to go with the Leady lathe. The pricing is quite good at around $1,350.00 ($1,500 with a full set of chucks) and the quality, although of Asian origin, seems to be universally agreed as quite acceptable.

I had a chat with Bruce Leadbeatter who is very helpful and has probably forgotten more than many know about woodturning. Since the lathe is of his design I would imagine it has been carefully thought through and de-bugged.

Still, I would love to hear comments from those that own the Leady lathe or have used them previously.

Thanks. Wayne

TTIT
21st November 2006, 12:22 PM
Did you happen to quiz him on a variable speed option???

Slow6
21st November 2006, 12:27 PM
great Wayne... glad to hear you've made a choice and look foreward to hearing all about it. I've heard a little about the leady lathes, s'posed to be good.

Lumber Bunker
21st November 2006, 12:41 PM
Hey Wayne,
You'll have to come into the shop at West Gosford and tell me how the Lathe runs. As we've not see one in person before.
Happy Turnings,

Steven
The Lumber Bunker

Jack Plane
21st November 2006, 01:13 PM
Top lathe option for the money. Variable speed available for about an extra $350 and worth every penny of it.

Hardenfast
21st November 2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks Gents.

TTIT, I didn't ask about the variable speed option - for some reason it didn't even occur to me. However, I note that our friend Jack Plane is up to speed on this issue. I have actually had to place an order with Bruce because he has none in stock - I think I'll ring him back and change it to a variable speed model. I'm sure $350 is a cheap way out of changing belts frequently, and it will always add to the resale.

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes , Slow. His next shipment doesn't arrive until some time in January - I hope he has some variable speedies in the order. Plenty of time for me to do some more research. What machine do you have by the way?

Do I assume correctly that Jack has a Leady? If so, I'd be very interested in a quick review - when you have time.

Steve, I'm actually going to call in to see you guys at TLB shortly. You come very highly recommended here, so I'll come and have a look at your accessories etc.

Regards.

LuckyDuck
21st November 2006, 09:21 PM
Hardenfast, Congratulations on your order. Hope you enjoy your new lathe. (You will have to disregard another post I just sent to you in another thread. I wasn't aware until just then that you had made your decision about which lathe to get.)

Have fun!

Slow6
21st November 2006, 10:20 PM
just had a perv at the leady web page.. thats a solid little lathe, a good choice for the money imo.
have you looked at his eccentric chuck? every time I turn this bloody computer on I find something else I want but dont need and cant afford.

dont forget to add "digital camera" to the lathe shoping list to keep the rest of us happy :)

col2
21st November 2006, 11:07 PM
Hadenfast et al - our regional group of the Sydney Woodturners Guild has a Leady that gets dragged out for every meeting, used by a whole range of demonstrators and novices, and is going strong. Changing speeds by adjusting the belts is a bit slow but not hard. Sometime before I joined, (ie more than 4 years ago) one of the members with metal machining capability replaced the drill press style tailstock mechanism with a conventional screw and handwheel system - I think they felt it gave more control. Ours doesn't have a swivelling headstock, but I have a feeling that the new ones do.

Enjoy your new toy when you get it.

cheers, Colin

TTIT
21st November 2006, 11:36 PM
Top lathe option for the money. Variable speed available for about an extra $350 and worth every penny of it.Assuming you have one with the option or have used one Jack, any chance of some pics and an honest , unbiased rundown on the ups and downs of them ????(Please! :o ) I was seriously considering a Leady but didn't think there was a variable model available so I put it on the backburner until now.

Christopha
22nd November 2006, 08:32 AM
I have had the old version of the Leady for about 15 years. It has done enough work that it is on its' third set of bearings. It has a nice thick coating of Shellawax and while it shows its' age it has been a bloody reliable, well built machine. I like it for it's lever action tail stock which is ideal for repetitive spindle work.

Jack Plane
22nd November 2006, 08:39 AM
I am in the same boat as Wayne - mine is in a container on it's way to Sydney too. I have used the Leady over the past five years at my local clubhouse and it is a good solid lathe. I wouldnt change the drill presss handle on the tailstock as I find it much quicker to use than a wheel and doesn't bind like some wheels tend to do. We have a few Leadys at the clubhouse - maintenance is minimal and the heads line up well. You can remove the bed extension and use the lathe in a very small space. I use my Nova chuck and have not used Bruce's screw chuck so can't comment but, since it is primarily sold to schools, I guess it is pretty robust and safe.
I have seen Bruce demonstrating with his variable speed motor and it very smooth and so quiet that you can't hear it running. I think he sources the motors locally so you should be able to change your order OK.
The only negative I have is that you have to build your own stand but even then Bruce can provide the plans.

arose62
22nd November 2006, 11:05 AM
Is this it?

http://woodcentral.com.ldh0138.uslec.net/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_531.shtml

It doesn't have a Leady lathe on the stand, but maybe this is the stand design Jack Plane was talking about?

Cheers,
Andrew

hughie
22nd November 2006, 01:58 PM
It doesn't have a Leady lathe on the stand, but maybe this is the stand design Jack Plane was talking about?

I think from memory this is an older stand the newer design has tapered legs plus a few more mods. I have a drawing of it some where.If any body is interested I can copy it and fax it to them

Hardenfast
22nd November 2006, 08:51 PM
I checked with Bruce Leadbeatter today re changing my order from the standard 5 speed lathe to a variable speed model.

Yep, no probs - that option is available. However, it adds another $800 to the deal - effectively making it a deal breaker (for me, anyway). Guess I'll be sticking with the belt & pulleys for a while.

Bruce assures me he has carefully considered the belt change thing in his design and it is very quick & easy. Quick cam release & lock action and perspex cover over the pulley assemblies for easy vision and access.

That looks pretty much like the picture, so sounds fair enough to me.

Jack Plane
23rd November 2006, 08:41 AM
Hardenfast
I'd check with him again. $800 extra sounds a lot. Don't forget the price of the original motor should come off the initial price. I was quoted $1850 (but looking back at your original post you said the $1500 included chucks so I guess it's an extra $500).
Sorry if I built up your hopes>