PDA

View Full Version : CA and Brass Powder

Jackson
23rd November 2006, 09:07 AM
Recently in this forum I read a couple of references to brass powder and CA technique. I'd never tried it and couldn't recall ever seeing a piece with that effect, but it sounded interesting. So when David Drescher's travelling woodturners shop arrived in Cairns I splashed out and bought some powder and CA. I've just come from the workshop having tried it out and I think I need some advice from the wiser heads around.

I whittled a tiny little spoon to deploy the powder and was all set. Out with the pocket knife and snip the top off the CA nozzle. Who would have thought the glue would spurt out if you squeezed too hard? And do you know how quick that stuff sets! Any way, I'll cut the pocket knife off the bench tomorrow. When I finally got my fingers apart I started dropping tiny amounts of powder in the crack then dripping CA on top. When I finished it looked a bit like I'd tried to weld the crack shut. I hope that improves when I sand it, but I can't do that until tomorrow. That's when the Paramedic says the little spoon should drop off my fingers.

I know I should have posted this yesterday but if anyone out there is a bit of a whizz at this technique, I'd be grateful for any advice.

Cheers

TTIT
23rd November 2006, 12:28 PM
Don't worry - the skin does grow back!!! ;)
Check this link (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=28933&page=3) to see how I started playing with the brass powder. I've got it down to a fine art now. Forget the spoon - find a little plastic bottle with a tapered tip like a glue bottle (I bought a craft glue bottle for a dollar, emptied it and washed it out). The brass powder almost flows like liquid with a bit of a tap when you tip the bottle. Using the thin CA, you can go to about 3mm thick for each layer of the powder.
Didn't know David carried the powder. Is it the 2micron stuff???

Another tip: Don't use EEE on the brass filled part - the brass will come up lovely but you'll get a black stain across the timber (DAMHIKT)

Gil Jones
23rd November 2006, 12:48 PM
Dunk your fingers [or wherever the CA glued part is :)] in ACETONE and it will dissolve the CA in a minute or so.

Caveman
23rd November 2006, 06:20 PM
Any way, I'll cut the pocket knife off the bench tomorrow. When I finally got my fingers apart I started dropping tiny amounts of powder in the crack then dripping CA on top. When I finished it looked a bit like I'd tried to weld the crack shut. I hope that improves when I sand it, but I can't do that until tomorrow. That's when the Paramedic says the little spoon should drop off my fingers.

I know I should have posted this yesterday but if anyone out there is a bit of a whizz at this technique, I'd be grateful for any advice.

Cheers

:D :D :D - thanks for the early morning humour (well it is morning for me!)

The 'whizz' has replied - hope it turns out ok - fingers/knife/work in progress etc...

stevesandy
24th November 2006, 05:47 PM
Mark J :) Many years ago when I was plumbing in Cairns [fine part of the world] we used to use ca to join pvc pipe [20mm] when it had water in the pipe. Many a time I glued the fittings to my fingers but SWMBO always has a supply of nail polish remover or is that pipe fitting remover. Same as acetone but more available.:rolleyes:
All the best Steve

Jackson
26th November 2006, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=
Didn't know David carried the powder. Is it the 2micron stuff???

Another tip: Don't use EEE on the brass filled part - the brass will come up lovely but you'll get a black stain across the timber (DAMHIKT)[/QUOTE]

TTIT - David has brass, copper and aluminium powder - $9 for a small bottle of about (I'm guessing" 100-200 grams. The bottle isn't marked with a particle size. I spoke to David a few days ago and he doesn't know if it's 2 micron - he knows it as 2000 mesh.

...and unfortunately I didn't read your post before polishing the piece I was working on with EEE. Bit of a bugger to get off isn't it!

Thanks to the others for the advice.

Cheers

TTIT
27th November 2006, 08:53 AM
...and unfortunately I didn't read your post before polishing the piece I was working on with EEE. Bit of a bugger to get off isn't it!
That's good Mark but where's the pics?????;)

OGYT
27th November 2006, 02:07 PM
Literally rolling around on the floor, laughing....
Greenie for this'n!!!

keith53
27th November 2006, 02:42 PM
Literally rolling around on the floor, laughing....
Greenie for this'n!!!

Yep! Its one of the best I've seen for a while. :D