PDA

View Full Version : hand held router is not for WIMPS

jow104
1st May 2003, 05:09 AM
Used my triton router with a 1/4" straight router bit today, making trenches for bottom draw pieces.
This is the first time I have used the machine when not fixed to the table.
I can only report that using this size machine is not the thing for wimps!!!!

DaveInOz
1st May 2003, 10:32 AM
Thats why in Oz we discourage kids under five from useing them one handed -- but it so hard to stop the little buggers, they can be very stubbon, especially if they've been drinking.
:D

John Saxton
1st May 2003, 09:47 PM
The tool we purchase does need some consideration for ALL it's intentions and not its immediate intended purchase something most of you folk out there are probably aware of.

My MV12 is also a beast to use hand/freehand and requires the appropriate awareness with stance ...thus I would not like to have to use it non-stop over a long period.

I have a Bosch 1300 1/2 inch capacity which is a lot lighter which I prefer for long runs on the Leigh or Router Lathe.
Look for a soft start function in your router,keep your bits keen edged and the router maintained and your problems become minimal
Routers are becoming cheaper so a second router (hint for an early chrissy present) dedicated for hand use so those of you with the beasts mounted under the router table can have the freedom you wish without having to remove the router from under!
You can then use Template Toms programmes(He does some great stuff with templates) to exhilerate and get those productive juices...that is if you want to get the fuller use out of a hand-held router along with numerous advantages to be had in freehand.
Cheers:) take care out there.

jow104
2nd May 2003, 05:15 AM
Yes I think I will have to purchase a small U.K. router (black and decker ) for hand held work.

Newbie_Neil
9th September 2003, 08:10 AM
Hi Woody

I would recommend you get the Ferm F6E from Screwfix at about 24 pounds. It is exactly the same as the Trend T3 and as a result all of the Trend bits fit.

Cheers
Neil