PDA

View Full Version : Comments invited

Jackson
24th November 2006, 11:23 AM
Good morning folks

I finished this piece and have mixed feelings. Overall I don't think I like it all that much. I'm thinking it might work if it was a bit finer and less "chunky". I didn't go much thinner on the walls of the vessel because of some faults in the timber. It probably would have been OK but I get a bit impatient.

The main timber is flame sheoak, the central disc on the base is Jacaranda and the pegs are buggeredifIknow - (that's an exotic found in the oddments bin of my workshop) All finished to about 320 and finished with UBeaut wax and polish.

Any comments - both design and technique wise - would be appreciated.

Cheers

DJ’s Timber
24th November 2006, 11:48 AM
I like it, maybe bring the bottom of the vessel to more of a point rather then rounding it of

Bleedin Thumb
24th November 2006, 12:12 PM
Form vs Function?

The forms cool, whats its function? Not that it needs one of course.:) :rolleyes:

ss_11000
24th November 2006, 03:53 PM
very interesting idea. great work mate.
the dreaded question: what does it do :)

Eastie
24th November 2006, 04:20 PM
The eye is often attracted to oddities, and all I can say is I've looked at this longer than any other in recent times (it's a pen holder, isnt it?)

I like the idea and the timbers look good together. My only improvement would be as said abive, bring it to more of a point instead of rounding it off - leaving minimal gap between the cone and base. Replacing the round base with two forward legs joining 1/3 of the way up near the bottom supprot in a tripod sort of arrangement could be interesting (it would be less chunky)

TTIT
24th November 2006, 04:36 PM
I like the piece but also think a pointed look to the vessel might have worked well. I reckon a plain or ebonised timber for the stand would have looked alright too. Maybe some carving/texturing round the rim of the vessel. Let's face it, there's no limit to the number of different ways it could have been done but as long as you enjoyed making it and at least two people here like it - what else matters? Well done Jackson :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th November 2006, 07:18 PM
"What does it do?" :eek: Cretins! Art is its' own function! :D

You've already put your finger on the main thing I'd like to see changed... the thickness of the walls, but I can understand your not wanting to go thinner. 'Tis an unusual piece just the same, full points for the concept!

bikerboy
26th November 2006, 07:47 AM
like it,very odd,only thing that I would change if you were to do another is,maybe use some very dark wood for the pegs that hold the handle on, the white looking pegs,I think, let it down.
But it's very good to see arty stuff,well done boy...

Jackson
26th November 2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the comments Chaps. I have no idea what its function is. I actually started out to make a bud vase, but as the wood whispered to me it changed shape. So now it is probably too wide across the mouth and too short for a bud vase. So thanks to Eastie it's now a pen holder!

Cheers

tonysa
26th November 2006, 02:58 PM
looks good Mark, really like the flame sheoqak
gonna have to get some of that

i think the pegs may have been better in sheoah

an alternative for the pointed end would be to have a flat end but rounded is good.

what are the dimensions and what did you use to hollow it ?

Cheers
TonySA

Jackson
26th November 2006, 08:39 PM
looks good Mark, really like the flame sheoqak
gonna have to get some of that

i think the pegs may have been better in sheoah

an alternative for the pointed end would be to have a flat end but rounded is good.

what are the dimensions and what did you use to hollow it ?

Cheers
TonySA

Tony - I think you're right about the pegs, I was trying for a light contrast but it didn't really work. The sheoak is beautiful. We're a bit lucky up here to get it pretty regularly, although it's uncommon to see any big pieces.

Total height of the piece is 195 mm. The hanging vessel is 140mm high and 50 mm diameter at the opening, slightly wider at the widest point which I tried to make about halfway down. Inside diameter at the opening is 43mm, giving a wall thickness of 3.5mm. I hollowed out with a forstner bit to start then Robert Sorby deep hollowing tool. I found it impossible to get an inside shape that paralleled the outside so there's still fait bit of meat inside the base.

Outside of the base was finished by turning down to a small nub then reversing the piece of a jam chuck I turned from a bit of scrap.

ribot
26th November 2006, 09:19 PM
I like it.
Prhaps try more of an "S" curve in the supporting post ?

ribot
26th November 2006, 09:21 PM
Oh yea, perhaps try some metal ( brass , copper etc ) to make the connection between post and vessel ?

ToolRest
27th November 2006, 02:06 AM
It's a really nice concept, and one that deserves developing further. I have to agree with the comments about the bottom of the vessel being more pointy. I do like the lines of the support column, especially when viewed from the side.

The thing that doesn't work for me is a lack of any point of focus. The three main elements are vying for attention, and if any wins, for me it is the column because of it's nice lines. The insert in the base also draws the eye away from the the vessel, which I suspect was your intended focal point.

I think the base should have been a fairly plain dark wood such as ebony, african blackwood or walnut, or maybe even another material such as slate. The connecting bars might also be better in a dark wood. The vessel itself could be made more interesting by adding a few details around the rim, or maybe a band of detailing part way down, and even a little finial at the bottom.

I do hope you will make another. A series of pieces on a theme like this is a great way to learn about design. It is much easier to see what works in practice than it is to try and visualise it.

soundman
27th November 2006, 09:52 AM
Looks fine to me.
Put it in the right gallery with a cut orkid in it ant it should go a couple of hundered.

I dont think making the vessel pointy is necessary, the disk base agrees with the round bottom...perhaps more rounded on the stem in stead.....

colour fine... I'm one for simplicity so I wouldn't carve or grove anything

A coat of satin nitro before the wax would make it more durable long term.

cheers

OGYT
27th November 2006, 01:43 PM
Awesome art, so it is! Nice. Now try one with a pointed end suspended over an ebonized base, which ogees up into a finial... Just an idea... no time or ability to try it myself, just like to see one.
I like this one, too. Like the shape. Like the support column curve. Skew's right on... it's art. Well done.