PDA

View Full Version : cole Jaws part 1

hughie
24th November 2006, 12:38 PM
Just recently I had a awkward job to hold in my home made Cole Jaws. So I thought I might document the process of getting around the problem.

The home made Cole Jaws are made from 1/2'' packing ply with inserts of mdf to fit the SN2 chuck with the large bowl jaws on. Teknatool provide two m6 holes in each jaw to bolt on the wooden jaws.

The jaws extensions are made from 30mm dia nylon rod. But doweling would do just fine. I used plastic cos I had it on hand. Holding screws are made from 1/4'' screwed rod from Bunnies.

Note the groove cut in the plastic about 3/4s along the length. This is to hold the work piece square and true and saves on a lot of fiddly set up.
Its critical that the grooves be of the height of length along the extension.

on to part two.

TTIT
24th November 2006, 01:25 PM
Teknatool provide two m6 holes in each jaw to bolt on the wooden jaws.Bumma! I wish Vicmark had thought of that :(

This is all very good but do we get to see what it was you were trying to hold in them?????;):D

Gil Jones
24th November 2006, 04:01 PM
Hughie, very slick setup for the Cole type jaws.
Guess I need to add this to my "make it myself" list.
I'll be 70 before I complete that list. :eek:

hughie
25th November 2006, 12:48 AM
This is all very good but do we get to see what it was you were trying to hold in them

yeah but by now you will have seen it. :D The only reason I did not buy a set of Cole Jaws they seemed expensive for the capability, given the turning I like to do. For me the Longworth Chuck is much more flexible and most suitable for what I like to do, hence the wooden ones. :D :)