PDA

View Full Version : Rusty after so long

Jenny Brandis
24th November 2006, 02:17 PM
Hello one and all, My question is one I should have thought of long ago. How do you prent your lathe from rust in the tropics? I have had a break for a few months and have just come in from looking at the lathe.

It is sitting on the back verandah so heat and humidity are the biggies that will affect it. The temp has been in the high 30's for the last month or more which is why I had not been using the lathe. But today - I itch to do some turning.

Big Shed
24th November 2006, 02:38 PM
I always find that the best thing to keep any tool from rusting is to use it!:)

Living in Central Victoria we are more likely to get dry rot than rust, rain would be a fine thing!

SawDustSniffer
24th November 2006, 03:49 PM
Yes the dam wet is on its way , As a carpenter & Joiner i soon learnt that humidity will turn a new hammer into a rusty one in 6 months up in the tropics used or unused , i use RP7 after every use , power saw blades , Mortice Chains , Hand saw's , chisels , and any thing where rust will dull a sharp eadge , RP7 wont stop surface rust appearing but holds it off a few more months , i picked up a carton of the stuff cheep (about $10 can normally ) , you could also use thin machine oil in a house hold squrt / spray bottle ( good for oil stones as well )

do you have a timber storage cabnet to keep the 90% humidity away from your good Blanks , yes i store mine in an old Coke 2 door fridge with mosture obsorbent beads in icecream containers in the bottom
it doubles as a drying cabnet with a electric heater on a thermistat

Any Boab timber laying around that you would like to sell ? never tryed it but want to

your lucky to live in one of the most butifull areas of australia , i love the look of Boab's at sunrize

Clinton1
24th November 2006, 04:04 PM
Hey Jenny, seems like you haven't been around for ages.

Have you tried "Silverglide"?

Jenny Brandis
24th November 2006, 04:10 PM
Any Boab timber laying around that you would like to sell ?

Boab is higly fibrous and (I am guessing) would need to be stablised before turning. Mind you, frangipani turns nice as pens and lace bobbins, which surprised me.

Will keep a lookout for some boab and give it a try - let you know how it turns out. Now where did I see that fallen tree? Might have to drag DH along with his chainsaw.

RETIRED
24th November 2006, 04:12 PM
DH:eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Felder
24th November 2006, 04:12 PM
Silverglide is more of a lubricant than a corrosion protectant.

Metalglanz is the stuff we sell for a rust protector ( http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=39537 ), and I'm sure you could find a generic equivalent.

Jenny Brandis
24th November 2006, 04:17 PM
Hey Jenny, seems like you haven't been around for ages.

Have you tried "Silverglide"?

Nope - don't even know what it is.:o

You are right Clinton I have been very quiet on the wood turning front for a while. The weather has driven me indoors and DH does not allow me to bring the lathe in. Don't know why :)

I have been concentrating on making lace (the reason I am trying to learn lathe work is to make my own lace bobbins remember).

Got to my DH's (read Dear Husband) bandsaw yesterday (was ony 36c) and made some bobbin holders. Painted and added transfers last night so feeling pretty good about wood at the moment.

The last 4 attempts at making lace bobbins have been abject failures and I tossed the tools in for a while. *whisper* ;) I think I messed up with shapening them - don't tell anyone.

The last successful things I were Jeanie bottles for the Hidden Veil Bellydance Group to raffle. Before that I made a couple of small boxes and some mini stuff.

hughie
25th November 2006, 12:57 AM
Jenny,

If all else fails, try mixing Lanolin with any solvent, say petrol, meths, acetone etc. Mixture around 10-15% Lanolin to the solvent. Wipe on and let IT dry off. This will leave a good coating of Lanolin. This is more suitable for long term protection. Alternately once you have cleaned up the lathe, try WD40 this is good for a few days at a time and will wipe down simply and quickly prior to use.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th November 2006, 05:59 PM
Hughie's method is what I use, too.

WD40 for day-to-day use and a Lanolin-based product if I know I won't be using my toys for a week or more. I've been using Woolube Ozspray 'cos 'tis 100% Aussie, but 'tis a bit hard to source. I get it sent down from NSW. :o

tonysa
25th November 2006, 10:52 PM
Or you could try Lanoguard, I use it in the boat and on the motor parts - worth a try. Comes in aerosol can. Good stuff.

TonySA

Jenny Brandis
5th December 2006, 10:40 PM
Got to the lot with WD-40 as that is DH said was right - and you can't argue with Dear husbands :)

Seems to be doing the trick and I will check it again in a week to make sure.

watson
5th December 2006, 10:51 PM
Hughie's method is what I use, too.

WD40 for day-to-day use and a Lanolin-based product if I know I won't be using my toys for a week or more.

I agree with Lanolin.....working in a dirt floor shed.....and I have never ever seen a rusty sheep.

Regards,
And its past my bed-time (nite)

Noel

Tornatus
6th December 2006, 11:30 PM
Or you could try Lanoguard, I use it in the boat and on the motor parts - worth a try. Comes in aerosol can. Good stuff.

TonySA

I agree with Tony - Lanoguard is the way to go for long-term preservation & rust prevention on exposed metal. WD40 is great for penetrating & cleaning rust off (especially with WetnDry), but it quickly evaporates and does not leave a useful residue, so it's useless in the long term, plus I'm told it has petroleum-based nasties in it which can damage your wood. Lanoguard is based on Lanolin, mixed with "friendly" carriers, and it leaves a good protective coating on the metal. Comes as an aerosol, or a trigger-spray, and in grease form. And it's a local product (if you count some lanolin from Kiwi sheep as local).

A-Marks
9th December 2006, 02:58 PM
Think of WD40 when you make this

take 50/50 kerosene and diesel fuel

mix em up
thats it

spray some around let is settle in
(smells a lot like wd40)
wipe it off

store tools sprayed with it - wrapped in calico or and old shirt as I do. reuse the same piece and it will eventually fit like a glove ( some say this could lead to spontainious combustion) I havnt yet had this happen