PDA

View Full Version : Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Got me a new lathe!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th November 2006, 07:47 PM
Well a new old lathe, to be honest. Very old. Treadle-powered in fact! :D

Pics 1 & 2 were taken as soon as I lugged it onto the property, Pics 3 & 4 after I'd spent several hours stripping it down, lovingly cleaning and oiling. :o Surprisingly, it disassembled easily, with no effort at all, and all the bearings are as good as the day it was made. I like the timber stand just the way it is... it adds to the character, so no stripping or [shudder] lacquering there. In pic 3, you can see the drive spur... funny looking thing, isn't it? The 'L' shaped piece catches a corner of the squared blank to drive it! Glad they aren't like that anymore.

Alas, 'tis missing the dead-centre for the tailstock, which can be easily machined from a 3" length of 1/2" round bar, but is also missing the leather drive belt. Ever tried finding a piece of leather 1.5" wide by 7' long? :eek:

I can't wait to get 'er up and spinning... it'll be the only variable speed lathe I have that also has reverse! :D:D

Prince Charles
24th November 2006, 07:49 PM
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

Steady on old chap, you sounded like my beloved Camilla for a moment there. :eek:

Charles. :cool:

ss_11000
24th November 2006, 07:55 PM
nice pick up mate. :) is this number 6?

DJ’s Timber
24th November 2006, 08:00 PM
Good score Skew

ps, will have ago at welding the compressor part this weekend

jchappo
24th November 2006, 08:19 PM
Ever tried finding a piece of leather 1.5" wide by 7' long? :eek:
:D

Very nice ... look for a funny shaped cow:D:D

John

Slow6
24th November 2006, 08:22 PM
well done Skew!... she's a ripper.

dai sensei
24th November 2006, 08:37 PM
Good score Skew, well done.

Ever tried finding a piece of leather 1.5" wide by 7' long? :eek:

What about cutting a strip off an old tractor tube?

John Saxton
24th November 2006, 08:51 PM
Almost bought an old treadle lathe (foot operated not dissimilar in action to the old sewing machine action)some years back when travelling through Port Fairy ,only trouble was we had no room to cart it...could of sent it home I 'spose however would have been just a dust gatherer on refurbishing it.

Cheers:)

lubbing5cherubs
24th November 2006, 08:55 PM
Cool!!

GlennD
24th November 2006, 09:10 PM
Let's see you get a good shine on Shellawax using that:D

SawDustSniffer
24th November 2006, 09:15 PM
love the lathe , well done on your personal kyoto effort , but your supose to limit your CO^2 out put to 1990 levels not the 1890's LOL \

nice find i love the old stuff , i have a 3foot Dia Sandstone Grindstone with the same belt setup ,except it must have run off over head steam power

that'll work off that beer gut in no time

rona
24th November 2006, 09:20 PM
Hi Skew,
Interesting old pick-up you have got there, with you piece of leather, drop into a saddlery place where they make all sorts of things for G-G's and they always have pieces of 'scrap' leather lying around. If you have hassles, let me know and I'll grab you a piece from the local bloke up here.

Cheers,
Ron.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th November 2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the comments, people. I'm as chuffed with this 'un as I was with my very first. :o Now all I need are the fittings for my pole lathe and a brand spanking new Oneway (I'd consider settling for a stubby ;)) and my collection will be complete. :D

nice pick up mate. is this number 6?

This one brings the total back up to 5, but is only the 4th "keeper."

Let's see you get a good shine on Shellawax using that:D

It'll be interesting to see if I can, anyway. :D It should be doable... the pulley ratio is 10:1, so 1 PPS (peddle per second) = 600RPM.

...could of sent it home I 'spose however would have been just a dust gatherer on refurbishing it.

That won't be a problem here. I like playing with old toys and this one will be a user. :)

Interesting old pick-up you have got there, with you piece of leather, drop into a saddlery place where they make all sorts of things for G-G's and they always have pieces of 'scrap' leather lying around.

A saddlery? Thanks for that Ron, I was thinking along the lines of going through some tanneries but there are several saddlers quite a bit closer.

tashammer
25th November 2006, 12:27 AM
i wonder if the lad has one very well developed leg?.

i do like the old stuff, guts, grimly determined, neither rain nor hail etc will keep it from accomplishing its goal! YaYYYYY

Oh, some of those 3' sandstone grinders can be driven off the tractor pto (if you have a tractor of decent vintage). I bought one at an auction and they lowered it by jib crane in the back of the ute - by crikey the vee-hickle sure went down at the back in a hurry.

the joys of youth, money and clearing sales!

Hickory
25th November 2006, 12:35 AM
Great find Skew.... Iam Green with envy.... As for finding that leather belt> I have several friends with Model T Fords and they use a similar belt to drive the waterpump. The leather straping and cleats are available through their suppliers, Perhaps Aus has such outfits as well. Might try looking there, for the materials.

Jackson
25th November 2006, 12:56 AM
G'day Skew - nice pick up - any idea of age and history...also any information about the drive spur. They can't have mounted only round pieces!

Tiger
25th November 2006, 07:48 AM
Great get! I've always wanted one of those, now just watch the pounds melt right off.

BTW you're not going to need all those other lathes are you, so maybe you'll need to give one away ...;) .

Slow6
25th November 2006, 02:55 PM
excuse the crappy photo.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/74/beltyk0.jpg

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th November 2006, 07:00 PM
G'day Skew - nice pick up - any idea of age and history...also any information about the drive spur. They can't have mounted only round pieces!

Sadly, I haven't yet found out anything about it's history. On stripping it down I didn't find a single maker's mark, stamp or any form of ID whatsoever. :( 'Tis all rough-cast iron with minimal machining, but what machining has been done is quite accurate as testified by the fact it still works. ;) Its' history is something I am interested in though and I intend to do some more research. [fingers Xed]

I've attached a pic showing how I believe the drive-spur is used... the "blank" is just a billet of spalted wood split with a hatchet and can hardly be considered round. ;) The key is adjusted to sit on a "flat" of the wood and that's all that's needed to drive it. It's not like we're talking a lot of horsepower being delivered here. :D

excuse the crappy photo.

Woohoo! Greenie launched. :)

Doughboy
25th November 2006, 07:24 PM
I am sure with a little bribery you can get a young'n to work the peddle. I used to get two bikkies for helping my nan use her peddle powered singer sowing machine. It is a wonder I dont look loke Popeye.

Pete

Slow6
25th November 2006, 07:38 PM
Woohoo! Greenie launched. :)

Glad it helped.. I thought I'd seen the answer on the bookshelf somewhere.

its from "how to run a lathe" from the southbend company 1940's or so.

wouldn't it be nice if todays manufacturers offered a 127 page book explaining at leangth every part of a machine, its use, maintinence and repair for 75cents.

ss_11000
25th November 2006, 08:55 PM
how well does the thingy hold the wood. it doesn't look like it would survive a half decent catch ( but your good enough not to get catches hey :D ).

cheers

joe greiner
25th November 2006, 09:35 PM
Very peculiar drive spur. It's almost the inverse of a lathe dog used on metal lathes, where the leg engages a slot in the chuck and the setscrew clamps the workpiece. That might be how this one developed.

Might be a good idea to change legs on the treadle occasionally, or you'll be walking sideways.

Nice theft.

Joe

jmk89
25th November 2006, 11:43 PM
Might be a good idea to change legs on the treadle occasionally, or you'll be walking sideways.

...or in circles :D :D :D

bdar
26th November 2006, 09:38 AM
Skew good to see that you did get her. Looks like you got a good buy. Well done mate.

Ray153
26th November 2006, 03:20 PM
Nice pick up. Actually know where and when you bought it :cool: You never know who is watching.
I am surprised the seller can't give you any info on its history and heritage. How long had he had it for, any idea?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th November 2006, 04:39 PM
Skew good to see that you did get her. Looks like you got a good buy. Well done mate.

Ta mate. As I've said a couple of times, I'm really chuffed with it. Given the condition, I couldn't believe the price he was willing to let it go at, but I guess people just aren't interested in buying something that doesn't plug in. :rolleyes:

Nice pick up. Actually know where and when you bought it :cool: You never know who is watching.
I am surprised the seller can't give you any info on its history and heritage. How long had he had it for, any idea?

It's surprising what's hiding in the woodwork around there! :eek::D

The first thing he said when I asked? "Can't tell you anything about it, sorry." He collected it years ago to restore himself but has, in his own words, run out of time.

His loss, my gain. ;)

rsser
26th November 2006, 05:48 PM
Drive belt's a doddle. Just use an old stocking.

Expect you'll want a silk one ;-}

Nice catch though. In the up-coming brown-outs and black-outs you'll be the only one turning. You'll be looking for tallow or whale oil next.

TTIT
27th November 2006, 09:53 AM
Straight to the pool room with that one Skew - brilliant find :) - would love to have something like that to play with - and room to put it :rolleyes:.

OGYT
27th November 2006, 01:21 PM
G'day, Skew. What a find!!! Excellent!! Careful of the speed, tho', don't wanta overdo it. :o)

Gra
27th November 2006, 01:26 PM
I can hear it now, in some dingy hall in Chirnside Park..

Hi my name is Skew ChiDamn!!, I am a latheaholic. I havent purchased a lathe in.......

Good score dude, that will come up a treat..
P.S. talk with the steam engine guys, they should have a source of belts.

SawDustSniffer
27th November 2006, 07:18 PM
GRA ???? " prouldly supporting the banning of Dihydrogen Monoxide ???
2HO, ???? or DHMO
the banning of H2O will come soon to the southern states ,so you prouldy support the drought ?????lol

will loook out for a 1big legged man who sweats at lathe stalls at the next wood show , it must be skew ,

yor right skew we are all just jellos of your latest lathe

rsser
27th November 2006, 08:51 PM
Love it. AA ... A lathe Anonymous ;-}