PDA

View Full Version : a basic good set of turning tools

Peter Lynch
25th November 2006, 01:41 PM
I am a professional furniturmaker, but am brand new to turning. I have some work that requires some turning from time to time and now it seems that I have several projects that require both spindle and bowl turning. I have cobbled together some inexpensive lightweight tools and have hacked around with them (oftern disapointedly and poorly). I don't even think I am using the tools corectly. I want to start fresh and learn to turn well and incorporate this into my furniture business.

What is a good basic set of good quality tools to do a variety or spindle and bowl applications. Be specific and include any good tidbits of knowledge that would set me on the right path. I like detail and am eager to absorb as much into as I can get.

Sincerely,

Peter Lynch, Manchester, Michigan USA

thefixer
25th November 2006, 02:30 PM
G'day Peter

The best place to start would be to join your local wood turners club.If they are anything like blokes in Oz then they will be more than glad help you out with all information and guidance you need.

Cheers
Shorty

Cliff Rogers
25th November 2006, 03:40 PM
Yeap, go along to a few club meetings & see if you can get some locally run tuition before you go out & buy tools.
In the long run, you will make less mistakes & save some money.

I reckon sets are a bit of a waste of money, sure, sometimes it is cheaper to buy a set than all the same tools individually but there always seems to be 3 good tools in a set, one you hardly use & one you never use.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th November 2006, 07:13 PM
Actually, I advocate a learner to buy a reasonable cheap set.

Sure, half the tools will see minimal use but at least they give the beginner a choice at the beginning, as well as providing cheap lessons in sharpening. (Cheaper than learning on a good Henry Taylor, for example. :D) Later they can also be reground into something that'll see more use but isn't normally part of a basic set. Ring-tools, etc.

The newby'll soon find out for themselves which tools they'll use most and, when it comes time to replace a chisel, then is the time to spend as much on the one replacement tool as they spent on the entire set. Assuming they have got the basics in sharpening down pat by then of course. Why go spend big $$$ on "one of everything" at the beginning, when you don't really know what you'll need, only to have some become dust collectors?

As for how each tool should be used, well... every one is used differently. It really is quicker to have one bloke actually show you how they're used (it'd take all of, oh... half a n hour for an intro) than to spend 10.000 words trying to describe something that will probably still leave you none the wiser. ie. Find a fellow turner near you.

Be it through a club or whatever, I've found that there are very few turners who won't willingly spend a few minutes with you if you show a sincere interest in their passion. ;) Another advantage of clubs is their contacts... they tend to know where the free wood, cheap tools & lathes etc. are well before the average everyday man in the street. Funny, that! :D