PDA

View Full Version : Chatterbox clock - my effort

tonysa
25th November 2006, 05:27 PM
I received the Chatterbox during the week and liked the look of the clock. "I reckon I can make that", I says to myself. PLUS I just happened to have a clock insert looking for a home from that last WWW show

Didn't have a screw cup chuck but reckoned if I tighten the tecknatool really tight she should hold.

Anyway this is what I ended up with. Passable effort. Even got the jam chuck to work. Followed all the instructions, except I forgot to drill hole for I turned the wood DUH !!! Wasn't too far out thank goodness.

I've forgotten what the wood was, something beginning with K from New Guinea.

Finished with our hosts EEE and Shellawax Glow.

I suck using skew and spindle gouge (really need lessons) .

Anyway here's a couple of pics

Cheers

TonySA

tonysa
25th November 2006, 05:33 PM
the others were a bit small

Jackson
25th November 2006, 06:57 PM
G'day Tony

Nice timber and nice finish. I'm probably asking a stupid question here - but what's a chatterbox clock?

Cheers

Sir Stinkalot
25th November 2006, 07:03 PM
Chatterbox is the newsletter that is distributed with Timbecon's sales catalogues.

Brown Dog
25th November 2006, 07:06 PM
G'day Tony

but what's a chatterbox clock?

Cheers

hi Jackson
A clock that wont shut up :D .

I think tony is referring to a news letter from timbecon called the "chatter box" this months had an article on the above clock.

cheers Paul

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th November 2006, 07:39 PM
Good effort! I like the form too, reminds me of the ol' above-dash car tachos.

I wonder how a weather station with a cluster of 'em would look? Hmmm...

ozwinner
25th November 2006, 07:48 PM
reminds me of the ol' above-dash car tachos.

Are you from Spain?

Al :p

dai sensei
25th November 2006, 08:01 PM
Well done Tony. I was thinking of doing the same, thought it would look good on top of the computer.

Timber looks like Kwilla, sound right?

tonysa
25th November 2006, 10:47 PM
Stinky's got it right, as did the others. The design's from Timbecon newsletter called Chatterbox Vol 03, Edition 5. In post last week.

Chatterbox sounds like my lathe when I was doing the stem of the base. Bit too heavy handed at the time.

The name's buggin me now Sensie, its not Kwilla though. I'll do a search and find it. Good idea to put it on top of the computer. Could even take it to work and out it on top of my computer there, might get some sales out of it.

Cheers

TonySA

tonysa
26th November 2006, 01:41 AM
found the wood, its Kanau

rsser
28th November 2006, 04:23 PM
Good effort! I like the form too, reminds me of the ol' above-dash car tachos.

I wonder how a weather station with a cluster of 'em would look? Hmmm...

.. lined up on the dash?

Water temp, oil pressure, ammeter, even a clock.

Cars too damn reliable these days; you needed gauges when hoses would rupture, gaskets would blow, belts would get flung off. No romance left in driving for a day without mishap. Even motorbike leathers come in colours; no more oil leaks to absorb.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th November 2006, 07:54 PM
.. lined up on the dash?

Water temp, oil pressure, ammeter, even a clock.

Going for the same effect, anyway. Say a 100mm clock and barometer in the two centre pods, flanked by a 50mm circular thermometer & hygrometer, maybe even a tidal clock to one side. :) Hmmm...

Cars too damn reliable these days; you needed gauges when hoses would rupture, gaskets would blow, belts would get flung off. No romance left in driving for a day without mishap. Even motorbike leathers come in colours; no more oil leaks to absorb.

Reliable? Dunno 'bout that. But once upon a time the gauges could warn of impending problems well before the idiot lights came on to tell you "UhOh! The motor has just self-destructed!" :rolleyes: With modern cars there's not much point as even if you know something ain't right, it's a case of taking it to the local diagnostic service/computer programmer for repairs.

I know what you mean by the leathers though... my bros bought a set to match his "plum" coloured road bike, then bought a bright yellow road/trail. Every time he sits on it it, he looks like a prune in custard. :D:D

Black goes with everything... and hides the oil-stains. (Thus speaks a die-hard vintage cold iron rider. ;))