PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1624-44 lathe

GC
25th November 2006, 08:13 PM
Hi All,

I am looking at upgrading my current lathe and am leaning towards a Nova 1624-44 Lathe. Has anyone got one yet?

I looked at a leady but........:confused:

and a dvr or VL175, a bit out of my price range.:mad:

Interested to hear you comments.

GC

Jim Carroll
26th November 2006, 11:28 AM
GC these lathes will be availble for delivery mid January, as yet not available to the aus market.

They are the upgrade from the original Nova 3000 with mostly cosmetic changes and a bigger motor with reverse.

The Nova 3000 was always regarded as a great value for money lathe for what you could do with it or expand on it to do more heavier work.
8 speeds from 178-3000 rpm, 2mt tapers, 1 1/4x8 spindle{same as DVRXP}, 1.5hp motor with reverse, comes with stand or you can bench mount.

Twinnie
27th November 2006, 07:43 PM
can you get them elce where in the world then? i'm also interisted in one but i'd like to see a reveiw or somthing

Matt

Twinnie
8th December 2006, 08:03 PM
well i've ordered one now i wait.... why jim why do i have to wait:rolleyes:

if you have a demo one in the shop i might get you to do some mesurements because i want to make a stand out of 25-30 mm mdf and fill it with sand to add a bit of heft to it... and have some where to store my sand:D

Matt

Jim Carroll
9th December 2006, 09:31 AM
Mathew start by making the bench peice 1070mm x 240mm. The height of the lathe will be dictated by your elbow height as this is a general height indicator.
Measure from your elbow to the ground to get an idea of the centre height.

The lathe centre height is 295mm from the bench so deduct this from your elbow height and this will give you a comfortable working height.

It may be worth thinking about a duck board to stand on so allow an extra 50mm for this in your measurement. The duck board makes it a bit more comfortable to stand on than just a concrete floor.

If you follow this linkhttp://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/DVR%20XP/Downloads/Nova%20DVR%20XP%2001-12-06.pdf
It will give you an idea about stand sizing.

The only thing I do not like about this stand is that the legs are straight up and down and I prefer them to be splayed to give more stability.

rsser
9th December 2006, 09:41 AM
Some folk recommend taking the measure from your elbow with your arm across your chest and fingers hooked lightly over the opposite shoulder.

A bit of extra height is also recommended if you have bad back or plan on acquiring one.

lubbing5cherubs
9th December 2006, 10:28 AM
doesn't this lathe come with a stand??
Toni

Jim Carroll
9th December 2006, 12:14 PM
Yes Toni the lathe comes with the stand.

Some people prefer to make their own or have an existing stand to put it on.

The stand it comes with has adjustable feet so that it can be leveled but there is no adjustment for height so if you need it to be higher then you may need to make a stand or make a base for the lathe to stand on. Just make sure it is sturdy so as not to move around on.

lubbing5cherubs
9th December 2006, 01:07 PM
ok thanks for that.
Toni

Sprog
10th December 2006, 02:19 AM
Yes Toni the lathe comes with the stand.

Jim,
Teknatool have a cast iron stand on their web site for their Nova range.
Is it available in Australia and about what price?

Jim Carroll
10th December 2006, 08:52 AM
Sprog they do not have it available at the moment.
Last time it was available it was $400.00

They are talking about bringing it back again now that they have their own manufacturing plant in china, but when that will happen nobody can say for certain.

Sprog
10th December 2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks Jim, saw the manual for the legs (stand) was on the site so thought the release might have been imminent :D