PDA

View Full Version : Watch Stand

robatman
27th November 2006, 10:34 AM
Hi all,
happy for feedback re this stand,
Silky oak and sassie base, finished with eee and trad wax.

I made the dowels pretty easily but should have taken more time in the spacing/drilling of the holes. you only notice its slightly out of symetry? if you have a look without things dangling off it.

I think this was a case of using my nice wood on version one and now wanting to do a version 2!! Does anyone else have this problem- any other beginners make a practice piece- i guess if you know what youre doing you get the proportions and finish right from the start.

Robert

OGYT
27th November 2006, 01:32 PM
Out of symmetry or not... This is a nice stand. Sure like that Sassie... what is it? Sassafrass? Looks like some beautiful timber.
Well done.

Bleedin Thumb
27th November 2006, 02:03 PM
A very liberating piece Robotman, Youre an inspiration.

I am a bit of a watchaholic myself, but I haven't come out yet, I still keep them in the draw.
Perhaps I should loose my inhabitations.......:rolleyes: :D

robatman
27th November 2006, 09:49 PM
OGYT- the base is a block of tassie sassafrass that i got at salamanca market my first trip there about 4 years ago. i wasnt into turning or any serious woodwork, just loved the look of it. i have done a few trips since then and pretty much filled the boot with timber last two trips!! unfortunately i wasnt into turing untill after the last trip so dont have that much to play with.

Bleedin Thumb- i am only starting to get a few watches, only ever had one at any time (pun!) all my life, but i then got a really big watch that was functionally cool (Suunto vector) but looked like i should be skydiving!! needed something a little less sporty. starting to think about vintage watches now. any tips or nice old watches to look out for??
Robert

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th November 2006, 10:00 PM
I think this was a case of using my nice wood on version one and now wanting to do a version 2!! Does anyone else have this problem- any other beginners make a practice piece- i guess if you know what youre doing you get the proportions and finish right from the start.

It works both ways, sometimes I'll make a test-run of a concept that ends up to be a PITA to finish... but the end result is beyond all expectations. That's when I wish I'd made it from a decent timber in the first place, so I didn't have to go through all that agony (and risk of failure) all over again. :rolleyes:

Did you drill the holes on the lathe using indexing ring & jig, or did you do it like the rest of us mere mortals: using a hand- or bench-drill with tongue held just so...

Groggy
27th November 2006, 10:06 PM
There's one for the to-do list!

joe greiner
27th November 2006, 11:09 PM
I've made lots of practice pieces. ;)

Very difficult to achieve perfect symmetry, even with jigs, etc. Smaller the piece, the more difficult it is. Often easier to design with deliberate & exaggerated asymmetry.

Joe

robatman
28th November 2006, 10:02 PM
Hey guys, glad its given some people some inspiration, i havnt seen one before so had no idea of the proportions. its actually pretty tall to accommodate the bands dangling. (60mm base and 350mm stand) Part of wanting version 2 is to have it shorter as i dont need as much to accommodate the bands - you'd think i would have spent more time figuring the spacing!!

Skew, i just used a bench drill press with the piece clamped in a "v" block.
I used this crappy plastic protractor? and tried to mark out 120' on the top(i figured that would add to 360')

To be honest i dont even know what and indexing ring is!

I love the sassafrass base, in the past I made a dining table top out of sassie (and about a dozen other things) but i'm starting to think less is more. It can be a little overwhelming.
Robert

thefixer
28th November 2006, 11:01 PM
That's three wrist watches and fob watch. How many arms have you got?:cool:

Time to go ..............................shorty:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th November 2006, 11:32 PM
Skew, i just used a bench drill press with the piece clamped in a "v" block.
I used this crappy plastic protractor? and tried to mark out 120' on the top(i figured that would add to 360')

That's my way of doing things, I know it well. :D

To be honest i dont even know what and indexing ring is!

An indexing ring is just a jigger that lets you turn your lathe into a rotary vice. It locks it into position so that you can do a bit of work, like drilling a hole in the side (with the lathe stopped of course! :eek: ) at toolrest level, then rotate the piece, say 120°, lock it again, repeat the drilling, rotate it again, etc.

Better than guesstimating with a drill-press or hand-drill, but can be fiddly to set up.

Many lathes come with one built in, some chucks come with a ring of holes or similar marks on the back for a locking pin (eg. the SuperNova 2) but I showed how I jury-rigged my own setup in this post. (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=35995)

I'm just too lazy to set it up half the time. :o