PDA

View Full Version : Re: Turned Drawer handles

Flowboy
28th November 2006, 08:07 AM
Hi all,

You may have noticed that I deleted my request. The response was just to upsetting. I have been quoted by a Turner's shop for the handles at $200 for the 10. It is a simple job on timber thats a dream to work with. I was prepared to pay at least this amount to keep the job within the forums, but since no-one wants my money, I'll now go elsewhere. This also makes me think twice about offering free stuff to the wood turning fraternity. May as well sell my offcuts.
I do not intend to reply to this post.

Disapponted,

Rob

Wood Butcher
28th November 2006, 08:38 AM
but since no-one wants my moneyRob,

Some one did reply to your post and offered to do the job for you!!

G'day Rob,
I reckon that I'll be able to turn the knobs for you. Will you be able to supply the timber for them, as I may have problems sourcing Peruvian walnut here in South Oz.
Please PM me if you are interested & I'll send you my address & phone number etc.
Hopefully someone closer to home will also offer their services,which is probably more convenient for you, but if not, I'll be very pleased to turn the knobs for you.

Flowboy
28th November 2006, 08:54 AM
Hi Rowan,

I have expressed my thanks to major panic (who is in S.A.). One response from close to a hundred views and none from Melbourne really is pretty lame. It just tells me that no-one here is interested in anything but their own stuff. That to me is an important take home message.

hughie
28th November 2006, 09:29 AM
You may have noticed that I deleted my request. The response was just to upsetting. I have been quoted by a Turner's shop for the handles at $200 for the 10. It is a simple job on timber thats a dream to work with. I was prepared to pay at least this amount to keep the job within the forums, but since no-one wants my money, I'll now go elsewhere. This also makes me think twice about offering free stuff to the wood turning fraternity. May as well sell my offcuts.
I do not intend to reply to this post.

Tsk Tsk Rob,

How many responses would have kept you happy? It only takes one turner to turn your knobs and you got one :confused: ....perplexed !?

I take it, you though it was a such generous offer that all and sundry should have responded. Seeing that many of us live a far off, we would always leave to the locals to respond, and once, one has responded it is the gentlemanly thing to give that turner a clear field.

The commercial side of things seldom raises its head here as we are all in the business of swapping ideas and assisting each other.If you had offered the timber as a swap you might have got a better response, dollars are a sensitive issue. A little bit like Politics and Religion.

I leave you with this thought: "A man who is wrapped up in himself, generally makes a pretty small package" John Ruskin

fxst
28th November 2006, 10:08 AM
Rob how hard would it have been to send the timber and a box of offcuts with a pattern or pic of the shape you wanted to the guy in SA or major panic in Qld via oz post (max post cost $20ish )if no one else closer offered to help?
Not all of us think we are good enough to accept commisioned work. We are mostly hobbyist. I have done the odd help out where they supply the timber and pattern for no cost though accept any offer made but mostly turn to amuse myself as do others here
Pete

DJ’s Timber
28th November 2006, 10:37 AM
G,day Rob

I didn't see your earlier post. If you are still looking for someone I would be happy to help out. My parents live in Templestowe and I am often in Melb, so I can swing by your place

Flowboy
28th November 2006, 10:53 AM
Hi and thanks guys,
Firstly, it wouldn't be hard at all to send stuff to other states. I hope that FSXT and djstimber will realise that I have tried at all opportunities to help other forumites if at all possible, sometimes to my own detriment. I guess I expected the same back. DJ, I'll PM you.

Second,
Huey, you have submitted your opinion without I suggest full understanding of all the facts. How people would be paid, would be open to agreement, and I think you are overstepping the mark by speaking for all forum members. Some ,I know, would dearly like the cash.
You would need to have read the original message and the reply to be able to make comments as you have. So to me it seems you have answered of your own free will for everybody. You should note that the response I received is from S.A. and says clearly, if no-one local is interested.
"A man who is wrapped up in himself makes a small package"

I have given a lot to these forums and have not asked anything back, but I find it dissapointing when only one person bothers to even try. I still can't believe that no-one in the Melbourne area (and I'll decide what is distant) had any interest in helping another forumite with a small job, even though I know it can be a pain setting up the lathe.
I guess the best answer is buy my own small lathe for the jobs I need done. Just another classic case of duplication of resource in a World where there is already too much

Feeling better now,

Rob, and this will be my last response.

rsser
28th November 2006, 01:25 PM
...I have tried at all opportunities to help other forumites if at all possible, sometimes to my own detriment. I guess I expected the same back....

I have given a lot to these forums and have not asked anything back, but I find it dissapointing when only one person bothers to even try. I still can't believe that no-one in the Melbourne area (and I'll decide what is distant) had any interest in helping another forumite with a small job, even though I know it can be a pain setting up the lathe.

Sounds like you feel you were owed. But by who in particular?

And mate, 10 identical knobs is not a small job. It takes time and skill to keep them the same - close to professional level in my view.

I once accepted a commission to do 6 napkin rings. Because I had to learn how to do them it took me days and because it doesn't look like there's much to them you can't charge much. Never again.

[Edit: any case, you can buy a range of profiles in restoration places for less than $10 each; save your stomach acid].

TTIT
28th November 2006, 01:38 PM
Tsk Tsk Rob,

How many responses would have kept you happy? It only takes one turner to turn your knobs and you got one :confused: ....perplexed !?

I take it, you though it was a such generous offer that all and sundry should have responded. Seeing that many of us live a far off, we would always leave to the locals to respond, and once, one has responded it is the gentlemanly thing to give that turner a clear field.

The commercial side of things seldom raises its head here as we are all in the business of swapping ideas and assisting each other.If you had offered the timber as a swap you might have got a better response, dollars are a sensitive issue. A little bit like Politics and Religion.

I leave you with this thought: "A man who is wrapped up in himself, generally makes a pretty small package" John RuskinI agree Hughie. I saw the original post and an offer to do the job by someone closer than me - why would I want to push in to the queue and put someones nose out of joint.

China
28th November 2006, 08:34 PM
Must be the Melbourne weather

SawDustSniffer
28th November 2006, 09:07 PM
yes i saw the SA reply and being in Darwin and not having a copy attachment on my lath i thought leave it to the closer person , if ya lived in darwin i would have invited you over and showed you how to use a lathe ,

i'ts all ways better to make the hole job your self

duplicating the same shape purfectly is harder than you think , i had to make 20 sets of large drumb sticks , for a Darwin 10 man drumb band
( the labour at work is one of them ) lucky for me thay were happy to pick the closest matching pairs out of the box , thay were stoked that thay were free ( boss provided the offcuts )

and pulling the page after 1 day ???? I would have left it a week before giving up on the australian lathe hobbiest

Toolin Around
28th November 2006, 09:20 PM
I guess I missed the post. I would have done it for nothing if you had sent me the wood and a drawing. Would have taken no more than two hours and three beers:D. I owe a great deal to the friendly people of Australia (Pete in particular and would have been happy to pay it forward. Always happy to help a woodworker (within reason ;)).

Gino
28th November 2006, 10:14 PM
Flowboy/Rob.

I'd be happy to do them for you. But because I'm not crash hot at turning I'd make you a sample with some cheap pine first and go from there.
I don't want anything for doing it either as I'd be gratful for the practice.
if your interested email me directly.

regards

Gino

p.s. I also never saw your original post.

Slow6
28th November 2006, 10:59 PM
why did you delete the post in the first place Flowboy? I didn't see it either :?

keith53
28th November 2006, 11:14 PM
Hi Rowan,

I have expressed my thanks to major panic (who is in S.A.). One response from close to a hundred views and none from Melbourne really is pretty lame. It just tells me that no-one here is interested in anything but their own stuff. That to me is an important take home message.

Last minute decision to move then Major? I thought you were happy in Queensland. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th November 2006, 11:50 PM
Some of us just missed the post. It happens you know. [shrug]

Flowboy
29th November 2006, 11:21 AM
Skewie, your absolutely right, do it myself all the time.

Last comment,
I find the excuses put up for non response quite lame, but ultimately know that apathy rules. I have taken steps to resolve the issue of thinking others would help me and want to keep the work within the forums possibly even getting some personal reward. a new lathe equiped with everything I need and then some is to be delivered early next year.
One very last thing, if you ever require my assistance in any way, I am available and will ensure that I make every effort to fulfil your needs.

This thread will self destruct in 1 hour.

Slow6
29th November 2006, 12:18 PM
This thread will self destruct in 1 hour.

this one too:confused:

TassieKiwi
29th November 2006, 01:53 PM
lesson - if you really really really want a response, just keep 'bumping' your post. If nothing in several days, then maybe give up. Some here may not be BB addicts, and only have a perv once a week.:eek: Generally helful barstards though.

tashammer
30th November 2006, 12:06 AM
what a terrific way of crapping on people. please try to be less selfish and don't expect other folks to leap up to meet your needs.

still, one good thing, someone who is a bigger wuss than me.

you mainlanders are always in a rush, he said.

i recall the other day when i saw that was it was time to get up so i sat up, placed me feet on the floor and started to put my slippers on. By the time i had finished putting the second slipper on it was night time again. It never pays to rush i tell yer.

Lignum
15th December 2006, 01:31 AM
Ive only just seen this Rob, but i would have gladly helped you out. The only thing that stops me is only being into real woodwork i dont own a lathe. Sorry. Hope you got your knobs:)