PDA

View Full Version : Finishing gumnut ?

lubbing5cherubs
28th November 2006, 10:06 PM
HI I have turned doll house furniture from gum nuts but my question is what would you finish them with please.
Thanks Toni

keith53
28th November 2006, 10:15 PM
HI I have turned doll house furniture from gum nuts but my question is what would you finish them with please.
Thanks Toni

Got any pics Toni?

Rookie
28th November 2006, 10:16 PM
Oh come on Toni, you can't tell us you've turned gumnuts into furnitrure and then not post a pic!!!

Please???

Doh. Great minds

thefixer
28th November 2006, 10:16 PM
Hi Toni

I assume the gumnuts are dry and therefore I would imagine them to be very porous. I'm not an expert on timber finishing but I think shellawax or the like would be out of the question for something so small so I reckon a brush on or spray lacquer would be the go. Would need to rather thick though otherwise the gumnuts will kust keep sponging it up. maybe a sanding sealer first and then urethane. Lets see what the experts say

Cheers
Shorty

echnidna
28th November 2006, 10:20 PM
I think dipping them in shellac then let them dry then dip them again etc etc until they are evenly coated.

lubbing5cherubs
28th November 2006, 10:22 PM
I will as soon as camera takes a charge. It only little dolls house stuff. Joys of 4 daughters. Mum's brain can relate. LOL
toni

keith53
28th November 2006, 10:38 PM
I will as soon as camera takes a charge. It only little dolls house stuff. Joys of 4 daughters. Mum's brain can relate. LOL
toni

Only 4 daughters? You need to take up boxmaking as well. That way, when they have daughters, you can make jewelry and earring boxes for all of them. :D At least you've done it though. I still cop a caustic comment from my eldest daughter (35 yo) now and then about the dolls house I was going to build for her when she was 5.

echnidna
28th November 2006, 10:45 PM
I still cop a caustic comment from my eldest daughter (35 yo) now and then about the dolls house I was going to build for her when she was 5.

Dollhouse sounds like a good 40th birthday pressy :cool:

keith53
28th November 2006, 10:50 PM
Dollhouse sounds like a good 40th birthday pressy :cool:

Bob, old son, you're a bloody genius.

SawDustSniffer
28th November 2006, 11:09 PM
Hi my name is ken , i'm a Wattle 7008 Addict ,he says kicking saw dust embarredly

it gives a high gloss finish that's very tough and ware resistant
1st coat i heat up with a heat gun and apply 3 coats as the job soaks up the resin ,dry time , sand back , coat ,8 hours , sand back , coat ,8 hours , sand back coat , and it looks like glass ,( if you could be bothered )

also watch out for TOXIC stuff like 7008, (shelak is bug poo , ekk factor) because kids toys will end up in kids mouths , so i gess you might be stuck with a natural wax/oil finish

my mum and dad made my neice a dolls house ,but my sister (40) wont let her 5 year old near it , it's so purfect , stair runners , shanderlears , stencil cut wooden shingles on the roof , so dont over do it

lubbing5cherubs
28th November 2006, 11:09 PM
here they are. We have a book shelf the far left, back right is suppose to be a lampshade. Look hard with your imagination to see. and front is the table and chairs.
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th November 2006, 11:48 PM
Oooer! Won't Snugglepot and Cuddlepie be cheesed off when they get home and discover their furniture is missing!

It's the big bad Banksia Men's fault, right Toni? :D

soundman
29th November 2006, 12:31 AM
Oh very sweet.

Now you'll have to take up turning real minatures from your pen blank off cuts.

I'd think about nitro laquer.

cheers

TTIT
29th November 2006, 09:12 AM
Can't help you with the finishing Toni but they're very cool little pieces. Well done. If I had time I'd have a go at them for my grand-daughter. I think I'd probably try the spray Skew mentioned.

Rookie
29th November 2006, 10:07 AM
Toni you're a genius. Turning gumnuts wouldn't even have entered my head. I see a new cottage industry around the corner. :D

lubbing5cherubs
29th November 2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks Guys, is that nitro spray. Is that those spray can varnishes?:confused: :D
Toni

echnidna
29th November 2006, 12:50 PM
also watch out for TOXIC stuff like 7008, (shelak is bug poo , ekk factor) because kids toys will end up in kids mouths , so i gess you might be stuck with a natural wax/oil finish

Shellac is not insect poo though its derived from insects
Its a registered food product as well as a furniture finish.

rsser
29th November 2006, 02:13 PM
You may not need to finish them at all.

Go for the patina you get from kiddy sticky fingers ;-}

SawDustSniffer
29th November 2006, 11:13 PM
um i stand corrected shellac aint ," bug poo ", it's obtained from the secretion of the female insect lac insect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac_insect) Coccus lacca (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Coccus_lacca&action=edit), found in the forests of Assam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assam) and Thailand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand)

cut and pasted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac

read a lable about 2 years ago that said " it's obtained from the secretion of the lac insect and was purified by heating and dropping on marble "

figged it was bug poo , i stand corrected , thank you echnidna

tashammer
29th November 2006, 11:43 PM
bet the lady lac beatle aint to happy about it no matter what we call it. i wonder if we could get then linked up with the cochineal beatle? Bugs of the World Unite!