PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast 280 lathe sliding headstock.

macca2
28th November 2006, 10:09 PM
I have a Woodfast 280 lathe that has the headstock that will slide the full length of the bed.
I am interested in turning a bowl larger than can be turned over the bed and need ideas for a free standing toolrest that could be used with the headstock moved all the way to the right hand end of the bed.
Has anybody done this or something similar???
My first thought was a length of pipe in a bucket of concrete.

Thanks
Macca

DJ’s Timber
28th November 2006, 10:34 PM
G'day Macca

I have a stand specifically for what you want. I will take some pictures tomorrow for you.

SawDustSniffer
28th November 2006, 11:34 PM
My first thought was a length of pipe in a bucket of concrete.

you might have to bolt your lathe down to the concrete or risk the hole lathe riding up on the end of your chisel ,gab , ( biggest grab you have seen ) hole lathe trying to climb the wall spitting stuff at you ,

DJ’s Timber
29th November 2006, 08:05 AM
G'day Macca

I made mine with 40mm solid bar (each one is 420mm long) for the feet with screw in pads which are available at Bunnings, you will need to drill and tap a 3/8" thread for them.

The pipes are heavy wall thickness 50mm and 40mm pipe with a solid 40mm solid round bar bored out to suit whatever toolpost size you have.

If you make a freestanding stand it must have a fairly wide base. I think the the bucket with concrete would still want to tip, no matter how heavy it is.

With my one I have the lock handles facing me so that all the force of the tool is pushing down on the foot that is pointing towards the object that you are turning.

macca2
29th November 2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks DJ. I have an old plough disc in the shed (somewhere) which is about 500mm in diam from memory. Maybe that would do the job.

Macca

hcbph
30th November 2006, 04:54 AM
I'm not familiar with that lathe but I have seen where people have adapted external toolrests to other brand lathes. I think the source of the external adapter was Vicmarc and it was adapted to a Jet Lathe. It was bolted to the leg, and it swings on a hinge assembly. The actual toolrest is on a vertical post that is then positioned where you are turning.

It really looked very elegant and appeared solid. Might be worth checking out, might work for you.

Paul

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th November 2006, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure that I'd trust a completely independant toolrest; there's an awful lot of leverage involved in a jam. It's bad enough having the possibility of being whacked in the scone with a tool-handle without also having to worry about a gut-punch from some stand. :rolleyes:

I'd be more inclined to look at the type of thing Paul mentioned, a bit of pipe welded to a leg of the lathe from which the toolrest swivels. Sure, a leg to the ground at the toolrest end is a damned good idea to prevent flex, but I would not use just that.

hcbph
1st December 2006, 04:47 AM
I found the stand I mentioned. Go to: http://www.vicmarc.com/
click on lathe accessories then scroll down to "outboard turning attachment". Really does not look like it would be too difficult to adapt to many brands of lathes.

Paul