PDA

View Full Version : Nova 3000

DarrylF
19th January 2003, 10:04 AM
There's a use Nova 3000 for sale locally at the moment - might be an opportunity to get something better than my current POS.

Any opinions on the lathe itself? Does the manual speed change present problems?

Any ideas on a reasonable used price? The sale includes a SuperNova and tools.

Kev Y.
21st January 2003, 09:34 PM
If the Nova 3000 is anything like the DVR, I would say you can not go too far wrong. I know of only one other person who has a Nova 3000, and he is quite happy with it.

as for a fair price.. the november/december issue of australian woodworking had them advertised for $1800 the lot. so I would think that $1000 with tools and a chuck would be a fair price.

Kev.

If you are realy interested maybe the seller would allow you a test turn before you buy it?

Kev Y.
28th January 2003, 03:44 PM
just as a follow up here, I noticed in the latest "Australian Woodworker" that nova are selling their nova 3000 for around $1200 WITHOUT the motor.

Kev

Jim Carroll
28th January 2003, 07:49 PM
The special for the Nova 3000 including motor & Supernova Chuck is $1695.00.This is a saving of $265.00. Any further inquirys give me a call [email protected]
Haggle for a good price for a second hand unit and any extras that you can get.

------------------
Jim
One Good Turn Deserves Another

DarrylF
28th January 2003, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys. I'm still procrastinating I'm afraid http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

The Chinese lathe I bought I still think was good value, but it has it's problems. Ordinarily I'd live with them for a while yet, but...

This Nova 3000 has been advertised in my local paper for a few weeks now, asking price $1,200. Given it's been there for a while, I'd probably get a better deal of course. If they insisted on the $1,200 I'd rather buy new.

So now I'm wondering if the Nova 3000 is a lathe that I would be happy with for a few years at least. I definitely don't want to be upgrading again 6 or 12 months down the track.

My current cheap lathe has a lever speed change - bit stiff, but works fine and fairly convenient. The Nova I gather is a manual belt change. Not sure if that would annoy me.

I like to buy quality tools. I'm a bit of a picky bugger sometimes http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif Money is not really an issue, but I don't like wasting it of course. I work hard during the week and enjoy my weekends in the workshop. Good tools just make it that much more enjoyable.

Should I go see if I can get a deal on the Nova 3000 or should I wait a while, get my money's worth out of the Chinese special and buy a new DVR or Vicmarc or whatever later?

John Saxton
29th January 2003, 08:29 PM
Hi Darryl,why dont you go and check out the lathe,tools etc and see for yourself the condition of the lathe and how amenable the guy is on price?
I see $1200 as a reasonable price that as a starting price before haggling.Or it could be a deceased estate and they might let it go for less just to be shot of it!
I would certainly enquire personally...what have you got to lose apart from your time if you don't commit.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

LPeterStacey
31st January 2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by DarrylF:
Thanks guys. I'm still procrastinating I'm afraid http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

I like to buy quality tools. I'm a bit of a picky bugger sometimes http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif Money is not really an issue, but I don't like wasting it of course. I work hard during the week and enjoy my weekends in the workshop. Good tools just make it that much more enjoyable.

Should I go see if I can get a deal on the Nova 3000 or should I wait a while, get my money's worth out of the Chinese special and buy a new DVR or Vicmarc or whatever later?

If you are becoming serious about woodturning then 'bite the bulet' and do a 'proper' upgrade and go for a Vicmarc or similar. My first lathe was a very cheap simple lathe and even though I made some improvements and additions it still remained a poor lathe. During a Woodworking show I looked at all the lathes on display and was very tempted by the Nova 3000 (mainly on price) however I finaly bit the bulit and bought a Vicmarc 175. I am NOT suggesting that this is the answer for all woodturners but the difference between the lathes was just remarkable. It is just so smooth, solid and vibration free that I am certain my turning improoved. Even the tools seemed to be sharper! ( put that down to the steadines and lack of vibration)

The cost was more than I prefered to spend but if I had bought a Nova at the time with electronic speed control it would have been slightly dearer and in my opinion the Vicmarc is stronger and better designed. And while Electronic speed control is not essential it certainly makes a lathe quicker and easier to use.
All the best in your decission making.
Peter Stacey

Cass
31st January 2003, 11:33 AM
I have a new nova 3000 and think its great. It's very easy to change speeds with no heavy or diificuly manoeuvres required.