PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a start on shed site

Pages : [1] 2

DJ’s Timber
29th November 2006, 08:32 PM
Today I finally cleared the shed site :cool:

Three Messmate trees smack bang in the middle of where the shed is going and one in front of the doorway.

Will now have to load logs onto truck and drop down to the mill.

Will be grinding the stumps in the morning.

RufflyRustic
30th November 2006, 09:50 AM
What do you the need the grinder for when your site foredog looks ready to take on this task? ;) :D

Looks like a great site for a Shed
Looking forward to more pictures.

cheers
Wendy

DJ’s Timber
30th November 2006, 10:16 AM
What do you the need the grinder for when your site foredog looks ready to take on this task? ;) :D

Looks like a great site for a Shed
Looking forward to more pictures.

cheers
Wendy

LOL :D

The only prob with that is she will only do stuff up to 50mm dia and refuses to go below ground level. "Can't get my pearly whites dirty :eek: she says"

Waldo
30th November 2006, 10:37 AM
G'day djstimber,

I've got no idea where East Warburton is (still new to Vic) but by going by the trees etc. in the background of the 1st pic it looks liker a real nice spot you've got there.

Keep the updates coming and the fit out of the shed coming. Mmmm shed pawn. :cool:

martrix
30th November 2006, 10:42 AM
Nice looking area for a workshop DJ:cool: .

Is that you at the top of that big orange spidery looking thing? :eek: Never seen one of those before.

How big is your shed gonna be?

DJ’s Timber
30th November 2006, 10:44 AM
G'day Waldo

East Warbo is about half an hour from Lilydale. You drive thru Lilydale then take the first right just out of Lilydale

Waldo
30th November 2006, 10:47 AM
G'day djstimber,

Then you're only about 3/4 an hour from me. I'm in Kilsyth.

DJ’s Timber
30th November 2006, 10:47 AM
Yep thats me up there.

I already have a 9x6x2.7mt shed that I had up at my previous residence that I will be re-erecting

DJ’s Timber
30th November 2006, 10:48 AM
G'day djstimber,

Then you're only about 3/4 an hour from me. I'm in Kilsyth.

Make that about 30 minutes ;)

JDub
30th November 2006, 11:25 AM
Looks like a great spot for a shed, beautiful area by the looks of it.... :)

How tall do you reckon the trees that surround it are?

DJ’s Timber
30th November 2006, 11:31 AM
Looks like a great spot for a shed, beautiful area by the looks of it.... :)

How tall do you reckon the trees that surround it are?

I would say they are 20 to 40 metres maybe more for a couple.

The ones I cut down were 15 to 30 metres

oges
30th November 2006, 04:58 PM
Looks like its going to be a good site there, keep us posted how it goes

Hope those surrounding trees stay where they are meant to when the shed goes up :eek:

Stompa
30th November 2006, 05:05 PM
We lived in East Warby for about 4 years when my father was working on the Upper Yarra dam and it was fantastic. We moved into a house after living with friends who were down Riversdale Road, which had no electricity or running water and of course no toilet just the thunder box down the back with the obligatory spiders.

Circa 1952. What a magical place.

Sorry to digress but I have great memories of the area and still have a friend who lives in Big Pats Creek Road

Marty

DJ’s Timber
30th November 2006, 09:25 PM
Got the stumps ground out now :D .

Now to organise excavations and the concretor.

Better let the sparky know that I have finally started too, so he can start making some noises to the power company to change over to 3 phase ;)

DJ’s Timber
6th December 2006, 07:25 PM
Had some spare time this evening, so decided to load the logs on to the trailer.

Pick the logs up one at a time with my homemade crane mounted on the back of my old 1 tonner ute :cool: , then just back her up to the trailer and drop em in :D .

Will drop the logs down to the mill on Friday morning and will probably mill them next week with my redgum log that I dropped off a few weeks ago.

Slow6
6th December 2006, 07:55 PM
have a greenie for the molested holden crane dj.

love it:D

mongrell
6th December 2006, 08:04 PM
you can prolly fit another log in that trailer and yea love warburton very pretty place

DJ’s Timber
12th December 2006, 10:27 AM
Concreter came out on Sunday to check site and quote, rang me this morning with price and is finishing up a job now and will start at the end of the week http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Sparky has been worded up and is not taking time off this year, so can start when needed :).

Power company is going to bring in a second line and meter for the shed, so house and shed will be seperate, which is all good :D.

JDub
12th December 2006, 11:14 AM
Power company is going to bring in a second line and meter for the shed, so house and shed will be seperate, which is all good :D.

No so sure that is good thing mate, SWMBO will be able to see EXACTLY how much money all those machines are costing you to run :eek: :rolleyes:

Joel

DJ’s Timber
12th December 2006, 11:36 AM
No so sure that is good thing mate, SWMBO will be able to see EXACTLY how much money all those machines are costing you to run :eek: :rolleyes:

Joel

LOL, know what you mean :eek: . But I don't have that prob as I live by myself with 2 dogs and 1 cat in my own house and I RULE the roost :D

martrix
12th December 2006, 12:24 PM
Flaming heck DJ, that Toyo must have some decent pulling power. That trailer must literally weigh a ton!

As for the never say die ute, is she just a trusty paddock bomb with a 253?

DJ’s Timber
12th December 2006, 12:33 PM
Flaming heck DJ, that Toyo must have some decent pulling power. That trailer must literally weigh a ton!

As for the never say die ute, is she just a trusty paddock bomb with a 253?

Yeah the Toyo has heaps off grunt, she pulled that load no problemo :cool:.
Just as well that the trailer has brakes on all four wheels too.

As for the paddock bomb, she has the old 202 with Ford electronic ignition and 5spd Toyota gearbox. Starts first go everytime.
If fuel and rego wasn't so much she would still be on the road now.
It has been the most reliable ute for the last 15yrs that she was on the road and boy has she done alot of K,s.

Tex79
12th December 2006, 06:16 PM
Strewth, looks like struggle town for the trailer!!
That's a beautiful looking location you've got their DJ, I'm very envious.

DJ’s Timber
14th December 2006, 08:47 AM
Bobcat arrived this morning and has made a start :D.

One of the tree stumps is proving to be a bit of a bother and the bobcat can't quite budge it. So he is bringing his bigger brother the excavator in to whip the stump into submission :eek: .

Will update later as more happens.

DJ’s Timber
14th December 2006, 12:44 PM
We finally got the stump out. Had to cut in deeper than I thought, so the stump had to come right out. Could have saved on the hire of the stump grinder :( , ahh well.

Anyway the site has been excavated and levelled.

Will be back on Monday to bore the pad holes and lay crusher dust and box up.

Getting all excited now :D, will have the slab down before Xmas :cool:

JDub
14th December 2006, 01:41 PM
Look at that nice big shed site :) I already have shed envy :rolleyes: :mad:

Getting all excited now :D,

I hope the bottom of pic three isnt a glimpse of you getting too excited ;)

DJ’s Timber
18th December 2006, 06:14 PM
Crush rock and mesh delivered today :)

Rock has been spread and concreter will be boxing up in the morning :cool: .

Rang the local shire today to book inspection of pad holes and slab prep work and was told they couldn't get anyone out until after we want to pour concrete due to their department been downsized and people off on holidays or being crook :mad: .

The permit states that I need to give them 24hrs notice for an inspector to be booked and here I am giving them at least 48hrs notice :rolleyes:

I told them I will take photos and send them in but this was not good enough. They said I could get a private engineer to certify slab preparation at my cost :eek: , I laughed and said no as I have already paid them for the cost of permit which includes SITE INSPECTION.

In the end I said I haven't got the patience or time to argue the point and told them if they can get someone out fine, if not too bad as the concrete is been poured THURSDAY morning regardless.

journeyman Mick
18th December 2006, 06:25 PM
DJ,
here you're required to give them 48 hours notice, but then it's up to them to sort it out. If they can't get there in time it's tough. Builders have been known to ring up on a Friday afternoon to book a Monday morning pour. Of course, the inspector doesn't usually turn up until the last concrete truck has left and you're washing up, if at all.:D I may have even done it myself, once or twice. :D

Mick

DJ’s Timber
19th December 2006, 11:35 AM
All boxed up and steel reinforcement in :) .

Concrete pump and concrete booked for 7.30am Thursday morning :cool:

ciscokid
19th December 2006, 12:11 PM
LOL, know what you mean :eek: . But I don't have that prob as I live by myself with 2 dogs and 1 cat in my own house and I RULE the roost :D

You must not have a Jack Russell Terrier. :(

DJ’s Timber
19th December 2006, 12:23 PM
You must not have a Jack Russell Terrier. :(

Nup and probably will never have one either :rolleyes: .

All my dogs must be able to jump onto the back of the ute and the truck as well :D .

DJ’s Timber
21st December 2006, 09:59 AM
The concreters turned up at 6.45am this morning to get everything ready.

Pumper arrived at 7.00am and got setup, with the concrete turning up at 7.30am :cool: .

Didn't take too long to pump the concrete :) , pumper was finished, cleaned up gone by 8.30am :D .

More to follow

Waldo
21st December 2006, 10:02 AM
G'day djstimber,

Ah, a shed one step closer, and just in time for Christmas, only one thing could be better - a SWMBO who says to go out and fill it with all the tools/machinery you want. :cool:

DJ’s Timber
21st December 2006, 10:08 AM
Concrete has now been screeded and leveled off :D .

The concreters have cleaned up & packed everything up and will be back a bit later with the helicopter to put a nice smooth finish on :cool: .

Also had plenty left over and spread this around the front off the site where the door opening is which eventually have crushed rock and drainage put in.

Will update a bit later with photos of helicopter in action ;) .

JDub
21st December 2006, 10:09 AM
Sweet :D You'll have it up in no time. :)

Looks like you might win the 'race' mate, I rang my shed company last night and I wont get the shed till about the 18-20th of Jan :(

DJ’s Timber
21st December 2006, 10:14 AM
Sweet :D You'll have it up in no time. :)

Looks like you might win the 'race' mate, I rang my shed company last night and I wont get the shed till about the 18-20th of Jan :(

Damn :( , that's a bugger

DJ’s Timber
21st December 2006, 02:27 PM
Helicopter has been over the slab burnishing a nice smooth finish :cool: .

The machine is taken over the slab in different stages as it hardens up.

All that has to be done now is cut some stress grooves, which will be done either Saturday or Sunday.

I also took a 1 minute video with my camera as well. If anyone wants to see the helicopter in action, let me know and I will talk to Gumby or Stuart about uploading the file. When it comes to videos, I am pretty much lost :confused: .

DJ’s Timber
21st December 2006, 09:01 PM
Thought I would post a pic of my shed which is part assembled.

When I pulled it down at the old place, I layed the walls down in 1 piece then took off 1 sheet where the girts joined up and and simply uncrewed the joins, leaving me with a 3mt long wall section.

I also numbered all the panels so that it will go back together easily, I hope :rolleyes: .

So hopefully it won't take me to long to put it all back together, will probably make a start on it next Wednesday after all the festivities.

DJ’s Timber
27th December 2006, 05:06 PM
Well after a sloooowwww :down: start this morning, I tackled my neighbour from across the road and he gave me a hand to move all the wall panels into position :brava.

I then just had to find all the screws and line them all up and screw back together :yeah: and they are now ready to stand up :H .

The old man is going to come up for the day tomorrow and help me get them stood up and propped :cool:

DJ’s Timber
28th December 2006, 06:37 PM
Got the walls up today :2tsup: , plumb them all up and attached the roof trusses and a few purlins to tie it all together :brava

Also had some time to put the ends on as well :2tsup: , just have to find the missing piece of insulation and screw the last sheet on over the join

Al B
28th December 2006, 07:25 PM
Looking good there DJ wont be long before you are moving your stuff in there.
Thanks for the pics keep em coming.

Simomatra
29th December 2006, 09:40 AM
Sheds looking good DJ nearly time to fill it back up and get back to the wood

Keep the progres shots coming

Clinton1
29th December 2006, 10:33 AM
no mucking around there.... she'll be finished in no time. :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
29th December 2006, 05:37 PM
Didn't get as much done today :C , but every little bit helps :; . Had to do a bit of work today :)(

Put the roller door and purlins up today :2tsup:

Doughboy
29th December 2006, 06:06 PM
Gonna be one nice shed mate. Bet it will have a six pack or more drunk in its honour!

.... as for the speed of erection (can I say that here?) it does not matter cos in the end you will have a bl00dy nice shed to create some dust in.

Pete

DJ’s Timber
30th December 2006, 05:40 PM
Well today has been fun "not":aargh: . Have been unravelling the safety mesh that the insulation sits on and untwisting all of the old wire ties off it :anoyd: .

Anyway it is up now and done now:yippy: , ready to lay the roof on Monday. The wire might be a bit hard to see but trust me it's there :yes:

Tomorrow will hopefully see the guttering and the last few bits that are missing on the end walls done

DJ’s Timber
2nd January 2007, 07:02 PM
Well I ended up having a couple of days of due to rain and my Dad said to change Monday to Tuesday so that he could have a sleep in on New Years morning :oo: .

Anyway got the roof on and finish the last bits on the walls:2tsup: . All that is needed for the outside now is finishing off all the flashing, spouting and give it a bit of a clean.

Have decided to line the inside walls with 15mm T & G ply so will need to chase up some ply now. I know of a couple of places that have what I need, just have to make some calls in the morning to see who is open and if they have stock. Will be using 2700 x 1200 x 15mm which works out good as the walls are 2700mm high.

Hopefully the sparky will be making a start this week, as he will need to rough in before the ply goes up.

RufflyRustic
2nd January 2007, 08:31 PM
Wow - your shed is looking great!!! Hope the sparky gets in on time, it certainly isn't going to be tool long before you'll be moving in and wondering where everything will go :D :2tsup:

cheers
Wendy

DJ’s Timber
3rd January 2007, 07:49 PM
Picked up some Ply this arvo :U , but I can't put any up till the Sparkie has roughed in :~ some cables. If he dosen't get out in the next couple of days, I will be doing it myself

DJ’s Timber
8th January 2007, 07:02 PM
Not much has been happening on the shed at the moment. Have being doing bits and pieces like corner & barge flashing.

Sparky will be out this week some time to rough the wires in so I can put the ply up.

Moved my big lathe in this evening :2tsup:. With a bit of judicious driving I was able to position one end of the lathe in the right spot and I then swivel the other end around with my trolley jack

goat
8th January 2007, 11:34 PM
hi dj love the shed mate,next time ya got ur camera out, if ya don't mind could ya take a close up of how the wall connects to the roof truss as i have just brought a lot of c section very very cheaply for my shed project i'm guessing it's just a bit of plate welded to the upright of the wall bolted to the truss but a pic will tell a thousand words as the saying goes, thanx in advance:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
8th January 2007, 11:41 PM
hi dj love the shed mate,next time ya got ur camera out, if ya don't mind could ya take a close up of how the wall connects to the roof truss as i have just brought a lot of c section very very cheaply for my shed project i'm guessing it's just a bit of plate welded to the upright of the wall bolted to the truss but a pic will tell a thousand words as the saying goes, thanx in advance:2tsup:

Consider it done :2tsup:. Will take some pics tomorrow for you :;

goat
9th January 2007, 12:37 AM
thanx champ, much apreciated :U

TimberNut
9th January 2007, 09:15 AM
DJ's -

awesome thread!!! keep them pics and updates coming wouldja?!

I'm in the planning stages for my long-awaited backyard palace, and have about a million questions. Starting with, how to ensure a smooth slab (all the ones i've seen seem to have ripples or waves in them), and also how on earth to relocate my VL300. I figured I'd use an engine hoist , and/or pallet jack to move it around.

A question for you - how flat and level do you reckon your slab ended up? And did you make it any thicker where your lathe was going? I was told it should be thicker there due to weight???
If you can get that vid on the helicopter up also, that'd help.

When you get up to it, detailed pics of wiring and lighting, from rough out, to final fittings would be great (if you would be so kind) :-)

You're doing an awesome job, and this thread is answering sooooo many questions for me.

Keep 'em coming...

DJ’s Timber
9th January 2007, 10:15 AM

G'day Goat

Pictures as promised. To join the columns to the trusses, you normally use a pressed fitting which you then bolt on. That way there is no mucking around getting your angles right. You should able to get these at any shed joint.

Start off by putting your end trusses up first then stand your mullions up to support the end trusses, which will also help to stop your truss flopping around. have a purlin ready and put up your next truss and then tie that one back to the end truss to stop that one flopping around and same for the next for the rest of them.

Once you have all your trusses up you will then need to put a level on your purlins and prop up the middle trusses to get them all level. Once they are all level, get some self drilling metal screws and whack a few in the press fittings to stop the channels slipping in them. It doesn't matter how tight you do up those bolts, they will slip.

Also the top girt on the wall also doubles as your first purlin too.

And a final note, before you get on the roof to put your tin on, put a prop under each truss to support your weight while you're up there and your roof will stay flat.

DJ's -

awesome thread!!! keep them pics and updates coming wouldja?!

I'm in the planning stages for my long-awaited backyard palace, and have about a million questions. Starting with, how to ensure a smooth slab (all the ones i've seen seem to have ripples or waves in them), and also how on earth to relocate my VL300. I figured I'd use an engine hoist , and/or pallet jack to move it around.

A question for you - how flat and level do you reckon your slab ended up? And did you make it any thicker where your lathe was going? I was told it should be thicker there due to weight???
If you can get that vid on the helicopter up also, that'd help.

When you get up to it, detailed pics of wiring and lighting, from rough out, to final fittings would be great (if you would be so kind) :-)

You're doing an awesome job, and this thread is answering sooooo many questions for me.

Keep 'em coming...

G'day TimberNut

I reckon my slab ended up pretty damn well flat and it is smooth as a baby's bum. It only ended up with one small ripple near the door way.

As for the thickness, mine is 100mm thick all the way through and a 300 x 300 x 300 pad where each column is. I reckon 100mm thick is fine as the VL-300 have a pretty big foot print on them and the load is pretty well distributed. At one of my old joints the slab was only 75mm thick and there wasn't any probs there either.

Will try to get the vid up today for you

martrix
9th January 2007, 10:29 AM
gday DJ, your shed is coming along nicely, I am very envious.:let:

My shed is basically just single brick (very old) with a corrugated iron roof.

When it gets hot outside:burnt: , it get gets hot inside:firedevil: :( . Like 35 outside= 35 inside.

So I am just wondering how much difference all that neat looking insulation makes?
I'm guessing it makes a big difference to the temp as well as noise?

DJ’s Timber
9th January 2007, 10:50 AM
So I am just wondering how much difference all that neat looking insulation makes?
I'm guessing it makes a big difference to the temp as well as noise?

Wonder no more :U, the insulation makes a huge difference.

As for the noise, it absorbs a lot of the noise and when the thicknesser is running you can only just hear it from the outside.

DJ’s Timber
9th January 2007, 11:50 AM
Have put up video off slab been burnished here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=43314)

TimberNut
9th January 2007, 01:13 PM
DJ's

Thanks for that, I'll download the video tonight. I was asking about the concrete thickness cause I thought it had to be min 120mm under machinery (but the guy who told me that prob made it up anyway, I don't think he was any expert). Fingers x'd for you that I'm talking out me bum.

Will be interesting to see the electrics when you get them done. Top work so far! Keep it coming!

goat
9th January 2007, 10:42 PM
thx dj for the detailed pix :2tsup: i got 20 c sections 3m -3.6 , 20+ pieces of top hat 2.4m -3m and 30 sheets of colour bond roofin iron various colours 3-4 metres long all new for 2 cartons of beer ,the pix have given me a few ideas i just have to play around with what i have to see what size shed i can build thanks again

DJ’s Timber
10th January 2007, 09:23 AM
thx dj for the detailed pix :2tsup: i got 20 c sections 3m -3.6 , 20+ pieces of top hat 2.4m -3m and 30 sheets of colour bond roofin iron various colours 3-4 metres long all new for 2 cartons of beer ,the pix have given me a few ideas i just have to play around with what i have to see what size shed i can build thanks again

No probs goat, that sounds like a good score there :2tsup:.

Have hit a minor snag in the setting up of the shed :C, sparky has confirmed with the power company that the power supply in my area is only Two phase :~.

Anyway he will be out tomorrow morning to rough the wires in so I can get a start on lining the walls

DJ’s Timber
11th January 2007, 06:42 PM
Have now put the guttering and lights up.

Sparky came out today and roughed some wires in, which means I can now make a start on the lining for the walls :2tsup:.

Regarding the power supply for my area. Sparky says from looking at the infrastructure in the street and up the road back to the highway the cable is all there for 3 phase. Where it comes off the highway there is 3 phase but one of the phases is not connected at the main junction there. He says you can see where they have left that one wire hanging loose.

He has given me some numbers to call to see why it is not connected and if it is possible to get connected.

martrix
11th January 2007, 07:12 PM
is it a problem for you if you cant get three phase? Are many of your machines three phase?

That little black dog is always in shot, does he/she follow you around like a shadow?:U

ss_11000
11th January 2007, 07:21 PM
looking good dj.

DJ’s Timber
11th January 2007, 07:42 PM
is it a problem for you if you cant get three phase? Are many of your machines three phase?

That little black dog is always in shot, does he/she follow you around like a shadow?:U

It's not a huge prob if I can't get Three phase but it would be nice.

Would like to upgrade some machines which would require it. I would also like to set up my Lucas mill permanently and do away with the petrol motor, which I would like to modify to flatten slabs as well.

As for the dogs, everytime I get the camera out they just appear :U, they do travel everywhere with me so yes they are a constant shadow

TimberNut
12th January 2007, 09:14 AM
DJ's,

keep us informed. I'll be interested to see if they try to hit you up for the connection in the street for the 3rd phase. If I were you I'd report it as a 'fault'. Tell them that some recent storm has broken one of the wires, and they need to get technicians out asap... (then speak to the blokes when they arrive, and for a slab, get them to ensure it's connected...)

Just a thought.

DJ’s Timber
12th January 2007, 01:24 PM
Well, I have been in touch with the power company, not the service provider that supplies your homes but the one the looks after the whole grid for the eastern half of the state.

I gave them the number that is on my electricity pole outside my house and from that they can see exactly where on the grid I am.

Anyway the pole at my joint is number 14-8569 and the pole up the road where the 3 phases end is 14-8561, so you can see that is not that far away, which means there is only 6 poles between the two (less than 200 metres).

The girl I spoke to said that the grid in my area is set up for 3 phases but it just hasn't been connected, she didn't know why and the computer didn't say either :no: .

She is sending out all that info plus an application form so that the one wire that isn't connected can have a clamp put on it and voila it's done :o .

She couldn't tell me if this would be my cost and how much it might be. Once my application has been sent in, they will send someone out to have a look into it and will work out a cost and if I pay or them.

So it is now a waiting game. In the meantime I will just keep on fitting out the shed and using the old faithful extension lead :roll: .

DJ’s Timber
22nd January 2007, 06:22 PM
Managed to get some free time today and maybe for the next few days as well :shrug:

Have made a start on lining the shed and hopefully will get the rest of it done over the next few days.

As you can see from the pictures, I have already started on a layer of wood shavings :o :U

TimberNut
23rd January 2007, 09:09 AM
How did you go with the 3-phase issue?

DJ’s Timber
23rd January 2007, 09:21 AM
How did you go with the 3-phase issue?

Been busy and will be doing the paper work this week to find out if and how much

DJ’s Timber
20th May 2007, 10:28 PM
Time to revive this thread :;, have finally been able to spend some time getting things sorted out for the shed.

After finally getting all the info and paperwork required to see if I could get the 3 Phase power done and after hearing how much it would cost to get the line upgraded and a new transformer, lets just say that $22,000 :o is just a wee bit too much for me :no:.

So now I am just going to get the existing line from the pole to the house upgraded from a 2 core 230 volt to a 3 core 460 volt line and then run a new line to the older shed first, then through to the newer shed.

Sparky will be out this Thursday to make a start and to finalise what needs to be done :2tsup:.

It will be nice to finally get the power all sorted out and get everything in it's place and to put the old trusty extension lead away.

RufflyRustic
21st May 2007, 10:01 AM
Hi DJ

Looking good. Roll on Sparky time. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Cheers
Wendy

TimberNut
21st May 2007, 12:47 PM
3 core 460V??? please explain?

I thought everything was either single phase 240V (10A or 15A) or 3-phase 415V ?

but hey, I'm no electrician!

so what will this setup allow that standard 2-core 240V wouldn't???

DJ’s Timber
21st May 2007, 08:03 PM
3 core 460V??? please explain?

I thought everything was either single phase 240V (10A or 15A) or 3-phase 415V ?

but hey, I'm no electrician!

so what will this setup allow that standard 2-core 240V wouldn't???

Hah, can understand your confusion.

Basically you have three different types of power supply, the standard single phase 2-core 230V (use to be 240V) which is 1 active 230V & 1 neutral , then your 2 phases 3-core 460V is 2 active 230V & 1 neutral and finally your 3 phases 4-core 400V (use to be 415V) which is 3 actives and 1 neutral

With the 2 phases I can spread the load and you can also get electric motors that will run at 460V.

I need to have a reasonable power supply for 2 of my welders which require a 20amp 460V or 400V & 25amps 230V supply, plus all the other gear like the thicknesser which needs 15amp 230V and eventually a table-saw which will probably require a 15amp as well.

I just leave most of the figuring out for my Sparky to do, once you start splitting phases and whatnot, it tends to go in one ear and out the other

Waldo
21st May 2007, 09:29 PM
Basically you have three different types of power supply, the standard single phase 2-core 230V (use to be 240V) which is 1 active 230V & 1 neutral , then your 2 phases 3-core 460V is 2 active 230V & 1 neutral and finally your 3 phases 4-core 400V (use to be 415V) which is 3 actives and 1 neutra...

once you start splitting phases and whatnot, it tends to go in one ear and out the other

G'day Djstimber,

Once I started reading numbers about electrical stuff I got lost, yep my brain started to get the gist of it, but once I got to the end of the senctence I'd forgotten what I'd read. Electricity confuses the heck out of me. :?

Always interesting to read about other blokes and how they're setting up their sheds. :2tsup:

My offer on the t/saw is available anytime you like. :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
8th June 2007, 12:22 PM
Upgrading of the meter and line from the street to the house and shed has now been booked and confirmed :woot: :hpydans: :yippy:.

Sparky will be here Monday week (18th June) to finish off the wiring in the shed and get the other shed wired up and a line back to the meter.

Power company will be out the next day to dissconnect the power and run new line to house and upgrade the meter :2tsup:.

Then I can finally get round to fitting the shed out properly and start on benches and shelves :coolio: :groupwave: :groove:

Waldo
8th June 2007, 11:04 PM
G'day Dj,

Great news. :2tsup: Life'll be much better with some power in those sheds and not having to work if you hooked the lead up to the right thing. :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
18th June 2007, 08:08 PM
Got the other shed rough wired today and trench dug for the new cable from the pole to the house and from the back of the house to both of the sheds :2tsup:.

48653 48654 48655 48656 48658

Tomorrow will see new fuseboxes in both sheds and wiring completed and then taken back to new Meterbox that will be installed tomorrow arvo and new lines from pole done as well

TimberNut
19th June 2007, 10:21 AM
Good to see progress is being made!

All detailed pics of wiring, meter boards etc greatfully received! :)

DJ’s Timber
19th June 2007, 06:13 PM
Got all the wires laid out and trenches all back filled, but that is all that can be done for now as the power company stuffed up :~.

To connect the power up they need to upgrade the mains and line from the pole to the pit at the boundary of my place which we had done the paperwork for and then they make a new connection in the pit and new meter in the meter box on the house.

Now this is where it gets crazy, to do all of this, they have one sub-contractor who does the mains and line to pit, then another contractor who does the connection and meter and then finally the inspector checks all the work and signs off on it.

Well someone :no: in the head-office either forgot to book the first contractor to do the mains or didn't check to see if the mains needed upgrading.

So now we have to re-book everything and could be another 3-4 weeks before it's hooked up :C, will hopefully know more by Friday

We run 4/25mm² wires from the pit to the meter box and then 16mm² to the sheds. Only need 3 wires to do the 2 phases but I specified a 4 wire run just in case the power company ever upgrades power supply, that way I only have to make a new connection and don't have to dig up the trench again if it ever happens

Waldo
19th June 2007, 10:41 PM
G'day Dj,

Trust some numskull behind a desk to stuff things up :~ Sounds like he/she needs a bit of this :smack:

Hopefully Friday brings some better news for you mate.

Groggy
19th June 2007, 10:50 PM
DJ, I don't know how I missed this thread but - wow! I envy you the space you've got there, and the shed is looking great.

DJ’s Timber
14th August 2007, 03:36 PM
Things are starting to happen again now:yippy:, the power company has finally upgraded the mains this morning.

The sparkies are also here, doing some more wiring in the main shed and will temporary connect it up thru the existing meter so that I can at least use my shed and see what I am doing.

The other shed has had all the wiring done and lights will be hooked up temporary for the moment as well.

In the meantime my sparky can now book the other guys to come back out and make the new connection, install the new meter and fusebox on the house, which should hopefully be done within 3 weeks :fingerscrossed:

Waldo
14th August 2007, 03:41 PM
G'day Dj,

Finally. :2tsup:

Sounds like you kicked someone into gear. Damn, 3 weeks - well at least it's light at the end of the tunnel and you'll be up and running no more pulling that plug out to put that one in etc.

TimberNut
14th August 2007, 03:59 PM
Dj,

awesome stuff! About time you got that power going (not that you could have done any more, mind you).

DJ’s Timber
14th August 2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys :2tsup:

Finished up for the day now, got lights and power in both sheds now :2tsup:, which is running off the existing house meter.

At least now, I can see what I am doing now and can now really start putting things in place and start making some shelving and benches when time permits.

DJ’s Timber
6th September 2007, 07:27 PM
Got the yard de-turfed and flattened, driveway regraded and new gravel spread today.

Tomorrow will see the other half of the yard cleaned up and some stumps, self seeded trees and bushes removed

Gra
6th September 2007, 08:05 PM
Good to see the formanis keeping an eye on what you are doing

Big Shed
6th September 2007, 08:53 PM
Starting to look good DJ:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
6th September 2007, 09:06 PM
Good to see the formanis keeping an eye on what you are doing

Yeah, he doesn't miss much :U, very hard to get anything dodgy pass him :doh:

Waldo
6th September 2007, 11:54 PM
G'day Dj,

:woot:

Looks a whole lot different from when I was up there, hope you didn't just throw the rubbish under the cushion. :D

:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
7th September 2007, 12:02 AM
hope you didn't just throw the rubbish under the cushion. :D

It's not big enough :no:, you got any spare ones laying around :question: or is the missus using them all at the moment

Waldo
7th September 2007, 12:06 AM
It's not big enough :no:, you got any spare ones laying around :question: or is the missus using them all at the moment

G'day Dj,

:no: she's got 3 pillows on the lounge and a sheepskin and a baby bump pillow thingo, so if you need some more cushions give a shout. :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
7th September 2007, 08:41 PM
Finished cleaning up for now, need to burn off all the shrubs and branches now and then in a month or so he will come back with a tipper to get rid of all the excess dirt.

This is the the bonfire pile looking from the shed

Back corner next to the shed all cleared now and will be utilised for stacking freshly sawn timber for air drying. Also the pile of dirt on the right which has grass growing over it will be part of the dirt that I will getting rid of.

Final one of new site for my storage shed behind my main workshop.

Big Shed
7th September 2007, 08:49 PM
DJ, your images don't work for me, tells me I am not logged in. Using Firefox.

Tried again, and it asked me to log in. Did so, and it worked

But I was logged in anyway?

martrix
7th September 2007, 08:54 PM
Cool, cool. Love that scenery up there. All of those tall timbers. What are they, Ash?

Big Shed
7th September 2007, 08:59 PM
Nice area DJ, how much land do you have? Enough to put a few more sheds up?

DJ’s Timber
7th September 2007, 09:00 PM
DJ, your images don't work for me, tells me I am not logged in. Using Firefox.

Tried again, and it asked me to log in. Did so, and it worked

But I was logged in anyway?

No idea mate, they are on the forums server so shouldn't be a prob, obviously you can see them now

Cool, cool. Love that scenery up there. All of those tall timbers. What are they, Ash?

Got Vic ash, messmate, peppermint and blackwood

DJ’s Timber
7th September 2007, 09:08 PM
Nice area DJ, how much land do you have? Enough to put a few more sheds up?

Love to put a few more up but pretty much pushing it now, I am only on 3/4's of an acre.

Will probably build some leanto's for more storage.

Big Shed
7th September 2007, 09:12 PM
No idea mate, they are on the forums server so shouldn't be a prob, obviously you can see them now

Hmm, something's changed, the picture now show in the post, whereas when I was experiencing the problem only a link showed.

Oh well, as you say it works now.