PDA

View Full Version : chrissy pressies

benji79
30th November 2006, 01:10 PM
Just about to go and pick up my chrissy pressies, An MC900 lathe, a set of lathe tools, a bowl chuck and a dovetail jig. Havent done any lathe work since high school. Very very excited. Santas been good this year. :D :D :D :D :D

OGYT
30th November 2006, 02:20 PM
Congrats, Benji. Santa's wonderful, eh? Good on ya.
Ya might keep the dovetail jig box an' wrappins, tho' ... when ya get goin' on that lathe, you're not gonna want to do any flatwork.... (pause, here)... or can ya use a dovetail jig on a lathe?... :o

bennylaird
30th November 2006, 02:23 PM
Of course, Roger has a template for them:D :D :D

benji79
1st December 2006, 09:03 AM
Got my lathe, but the speed control is extreemly stiff, to the point i cant even change speeds, guess im going to have to pull it apart and lubricate it. :mad:

lubbing5cherubs
1st December 2006, 09:06 AM
if she real newie ring where you got it from don't want to do your warranty even before xmas
congratulation
Toni

hughie
1st December 2006, 09:12 AM
[Got my lathe, but the speed control is extreemly stiff, to the point i cant even change speeds, guess im going to have to pull it apart and lubricate it. :mad:
[/quote]

Benji,
Do a search of the forum this has been discussed in some detail. ;)

Also when you get around to supplying lubrication to the main shaft where the pulleys slide consider using a dry lube. Theres a tendancy for dust to gather there if you use wet lube...and then your back at it a few months later. grrrh :mad: ....less turning time:D

ps welcome to the world of whacky work workers :D

TTIT
1st December 2006, 09:32 AM
Got my lathe, but the speed control is extreemly stiff, to the point i cant even change speeds, guess im going to have to pull it apart and lubricate it. :mad:Mine was exactly the same when I got it home - just the packing wax or grease of whatever the crud is. Some carefully aimed CRC (WD40) soon softened it up and got things moving. Have fun!

DJ’s Timber
1st December 2006, 10:01 AM
Pretty obvious but......

only move the speed control with the lathe running.

benji79
1st December 2006, 02:07 PM
Fixed :) , took the cover off and applied a liberal dose of WD40, worked the lever a couple of times and free as a bird now. Thanks for all the help, guys, im off to the shed and i dont know when im coming out. :D

benji79
1st December 2006, 04:25 PM
More problems...:mad: The chuck I got has a different thread, Can anyone recomend a siutable chuck for an MC900 for turning bowls.
Thanks
Benji

TTIT
1st December 2006, 04:51 PM
More problems...:mad: The chuck I got has a different thread, Can anyone recomend a siutable chuck for an MC900 for turning bowls.
Thanks
BenjiWhich chuck and adaptor did you buy? I doubt there are too many chucks made that will screw straight on to a headstock spindle without an adaptor. The MC900 (metric model) has a M30x3.5mm thread and the chuck manufacturer should be able to provide the adaptor for at least that one as it is probably the most common size available.

rsser
1st December 2006, 04:52 PM
Benji,

Lathe spindles come with different threads. Sounds like yours don't match.

Chucks are all the same but to match the spindle thread they have different inserts. [Edit: so you have to order the chuck and then the insert to match]

Best to talk to Santa about the cock-up and how to correct it.

Frustrating I know. Got it wrong myself with my first chuck.

Edit: Vern, you beat me by that much ;-}

TTIT
1st December 2006, 04:55 PM
Gotcha by a bees tit Ern!;):D:D:D

rsser
1st December 2006, 05:05 PM
Clearly some folk have too much time on their hands ... and I thought in Qld you had an hour less than we do ;-}

benji79
1st December 2006, 05:32 PM
Insert????? whats bloody wrong with these people making a standard thread???:confused: Oh well, I took it back and got a refund. Looks like im going shopping again, a bit more knowlagable this time though.

rsser
1st December 2006, 05:51 PM
Standard thread? Across dozens of countries around the globe?

As I said, I appreciate your frustration Benji. You're too young to have encountered the old metric/SAE hoo ha, or UNC/UNF etc etc.

Any case, with a good chuck, it's just the insert you need to match, so you need to know the thread of your lathe spindle.

Edit: beat ya Vern ;-}

hughie
2nd December 2006, 12:35 AM
Thanks
Benji
[/quote]

Benji,
Teknatool chucks such as super nova etc will have the correct insert to fit your lathe. What you need to do is determine which thread you have...:( cos they have three from memory 1" whit. @ 8tpi, 1"BSF@ 10tpi and the metric m30x3.5 pitch.

Get your self a vernier and measure the dia. If it comes up at 25mm or 25.4mm to be precise its 1" .Then lay the vernier along the length of the threads and count the threads between the vernier jaws. Bingo! you have it, of course if it measures 30mm then its metric. :D

Failing that you should have some guff on the lathe or the supplier should be able to tell

benji79
7th December 2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys, its a 1" by 8tpi. Now ive done a search on the forum about chucks and have a got a pretty good understanding of the different brands. Just one question :rolleyes: Is the supernova2 going to be to big for a MC900? Is the Nova G3 a better option? I'm ordering over the internet so i cant really see the physical sizes before i buy.

Thanks.

rsser
7th December 2006, 05:57 PM
SN2 will be fine. 100mm in diameter and good for turning up to 300mm or more. Nice piece of kit.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th December 2006, 06:42 PM
I'll expand on Ern's statement: the SN2 is the perfect complement to the MC900. I swear by mine.

At it, too, but that's usually my own incompetence shining through. :rolleyes:

hughie
8th December 2006, 12:37 AM
Just one question :rolleyes: Is the supernova2 going to be to big for a MC900? Is the Nova G3 a better option? I'm ordering over the internet so i cant really see the physical sizes before i buy.

I've two SN2 chucks, would not be with out em :D go for it

TTIT
8th December 2006, 09:14 AM
??Am I the only one that's got a Vicmarc??? (sniff sniff) I love my VM100 (sniff) :) :D:D

tashammer
8th December 2006, 09:28 AM
yes dear TTIT, but you are rich and we are poor. We can only afford 2 saplings and a piece of string. The tools are made from big toe nail.

arose62
8th December 2006, 09:30 AM
Add my vote for a SuperNova on an MC1100.

Like Hughie, I have 2 chucks. In my case because I'd rather spin a chuck on and off, than pfaff around with 8 screws to change jaws.

Cheers,
Andrew

hughie
8th December 2006, 12:01 PM
In my case because I'd rather spin a chuck on and off, than pfaff around with 8 screws to change jaws.

Totally agree, too much stuffing around changing jaws, also in time you will stuff the csk screws as well and or lose one in the saw dust :mad: .
:D . That convinced me to buy more. :D

Vern, there, there, it'll be alright, perhaps Santa will swing by with a SN2 deluxe.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th December 2006, 05:19 PM
Totally agree, too much stuffing around changing jaws, also in time you will stuff the csk screws as well and or lose one in the saw dust :mad: . :D . That convinced me to buy more. :D

More screws or more chucks? :D

??Am I the only one that's got a Vicmarc??? (sniff sniff) I love my VM100 (sniff) :) :D:D

The thing that put me off Vicmarcs is that, unlike Teknatool chucks, the jaws aren't interchangeable between different body models. :( I also prefer to swap a complete chuck assembly rather than fiddle with jaws, (I've lost soooo many damned screws up the dust ports! :rolleyes: ) but my li'l Leda just won't handle an SN2. [sigh] Even so, she can use all the jaws from my SN2's, with the exception of the big spigot grips. :)

rsser
8th December 2006, 05:23 PM
It's OK Vern, some of us work both sides of the street ;-}

[Edit: the plus with the VM100 is around another 10mm of jaw travel compared to the SN2]

rsser
8th December 2006, 06:16 PM
btw, it appears that some folk get around the jaw change hassle by buying a set of the carriers for each set, knocking out the stop pin, and feeding in each jaw as needed.

Haven't tried it so no warranty express or implied; this tip used at your own risk; woodturning is hazardous and users are advised to take all precautions, proceed only on qualified legal and expert technical advice within the relevant state and federal standards and wear protective gear, etbloody cetera!

tashammer
8th December 2006, 10:13 PM
rsser i was getting a horrible mental pic of every turner standing at theor lathes with a lawyer on one side whispering into their ears every that applied to them as they moved, picked a tool up etc.

TTIT
9th December 2006, 12:23 AM
[Edit: the plus with the VM100 is around another 10mm of jaw travel compared to the SN2]:p:p:p I knew there was a good reason I bought it ;):D:D:D

btw, it appears that some folk get around the jaw change hassle by buying a set of the carriers for each set, knocking out the stop pin, and feeding in each jaw as needed.My old man had himself set up that way and swore it was the best system.:)

Vern, there, there, it'll be alright, perhaps Santa will swing by with a SN2 deluxe.Yeah - I wish:rolleyes:. Once I get the new lathe, I hope to buy a couple more chucks - depends on how much I spend on the lathe though. Spoke to Bruce today about a Leady - - but also to Omega about an S750 - might be a possibility yet.