PDA

View Full Version : Is this a York Gum Bowl

westpest
1st December 2006, 02:32 PM
can someone confirm that this wood is indeedd York Gum. It seems darker than normal but this may be caused by the fact that it dried submerged in the Moore river in WA.
Any thoughts welcome

Thanks

TTIT
1st December 2006, 03:24 PM
Sorry Westpest, I have no idea what York gum looks like - I'm just glad to see there's someone alive in this forum today - been too quiet!:rolleyes: Whatever it is, it's a great looking bit of timber with all that figure and you've made a nice job of it. Finish looks good too - well done! :)

rsser
1st December 2006, 04:55 PM
Yep, from memory it is darker than York gum and submersion can do it. Costs you more too!

westpest
1st December 2006, 05:15 PM
Hi Ern

A couple more pics of another from this wood, (I have about 300kg of it) this shallow bowl is about 450mm diam' and about 60mm deep. 1st is unfinished an is definately lighter before EEE is added before shellawax.

Dan

rsser
1st December 2006, 05:25 PM
Looks gorgeous Dan. You're lucky to have such a stash.

The first post pic was a burl I take it. That's what I'd assumed in my reply.

If you don't want it to darken so much I'd recommend you finish with cellulose sanding sealer and then wax.

westpest
1st December 2006, 07:10 PM
No, none of this wood is burl, just cut from the log and it is all the same for the length of the tree.
I'll take a pic of the logs and post a little later.

here tis

Dan

BernieP
1st December 2006, 10:37 PM
G'Day Westpest

Certainly a nice bowl you could look at http://www.fpc.wa.gov.au/content/species/arid/york_gum.asp
for some good york gum info

Cheers
Bernie

hughie
2nd December 2006, 12:38 AM
No, none of this wood is burl, just cut from the log and it is all the same for the length of the tree.
I'll take a pic of the logs and post a little later.

Dan,
either way its a mighty impressive log you've got. Great score !

SawDustSniffer
2nd December 2006, 04:18 AM
Thats a nice stash you have there !
Might have to start a bidding war ,
You post a pic of of a bock + size of 3 dementions ,
State the minnium "time regested" to this site that you will trade with
and an aproximate area where you are

Each person can bid by showing a peace of there stash ,
You chouse which is the best deal
(and pay $the post for your bit , and thay pay post for there bit )

Say the Auction lasts two weeks :confused:
Companys wont like the swap idear , unless it's hard to obtain timber and thay want to show off to there best coutomers with what thay can obtain

Ive been though York many a time ,heading / returning from the Nulla BORE and didn't think of " timber collection " , wish i did ( traveled most of ozz)

Would proberly have to ask a "Supervizer" for anouther folder under the heading "turning ",( aution turning Bocks , Box making blocks , pen blanks not LM off building matirial )

and somebody would have to remove the old listing and store the swapper & winner posts only (sorry for asking )
It would make a good folder for trying to find out , "What timber is this ? "
The cost of storing 100kb image's for years on end is not easy , i would like to thank the sponsers and every one who spends time to look after this site , well done

Sunday im going down the "Tip" with a chainsaw , darwins chopping down all there "African Mahogany's " because thay fall over in Cyclones .( looking out for the highly figgered stuff )

lets spread the local stuff
And not chop down trees just for this Purpose