PDA

View Full Version : November swap pictures

Terry B
3rd December 2006, 11:41 AM
Dear All
Since knowone seems to have started this a thread for this I thought I would.
Here are my pens.
The laminated one did not work as well as hoped. I was trying to get a sunrise effect but clearly needed the red insert to be a much more acute angle.
The circles are jarrah and a bit of an apple tree I pruned from my garden in winter.

Terry B
3rd December 2006, 11:44 AM
Dear All
Since knowone seems to have started this a thread for this I thought I would.
Here are my pens.
The laminated one did not work as well as hoped. I was trying to get a sunrise effect but clearly needed the red insert to be a much more acute angle.
The circles are jarrah and a bit of an apple tree I pruned from my garden in winter.
I better add the pics:D

lubbing5cherubs
3rd December 2006, 11:47 AM
i be finish mine tonight. Sorry guys bit late have not forgot
bye TOni

Penpal
3rd December 2006, 06:25 PM
Nice shape,different setting good start for the month:).Peter

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd December 2006, 06:47 PM
My blanks have gone missing. :( Glued them up last week, put them aside to dry and got sidetracked with other projects. I know they're still there somewhere, hiding in some dark corner, probably peering out from under a piece of MDF or ply and having a giggling fit as they watch me pull my beard out. :o

:eek: Just had a thought... I hope I didn't accidentally include them in one of the bundles of blanks I've sent out recently!! [fingers Xed]

Will post pix once my errant children are found and given a good talking (& turning) to...

lubbing5cherubs
3rd December 2006, 08:33 PM
skew next you be telling us that dog ate them.. LOL:p :D
Toni

fxst
4th December 2006, 08:50 AM
My blanks have gone missing. :( Glued them up last week, put them aside to dry and got sidetracked with other projects. I know they're still there somewhere, hiding in some dark corner, probably peering out from under a piece of MDF or ply and having a giggling fit as they watch me pull my beard out. :o

:eek: Just had a thought... I hope I didn't accidentally include them in one of the bundles of blanks I've sent out recently!! [fingers Xed]

Will post pix once my errant children are found and given a good talking (& turning) to...

check for termites .....you might have a elite class of termitesthet need glue intheir diet and brass tubes for ventalition shafts
Pete

rowie
5th December 2006, 12:07 AM
My blanks have gone missing. :(
Do u need me to send u some more?:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th December 2006, 12:40 AM
Do u need me to send u some more?:D

Do you really think I'd say no to that? :D:D

I'm going to have to spend a few days cleaning the shed without getting sidetracked. (I'm sure you know what I mean... "Oh, I haven't seen this such'n'such in years! I wonder if it still..." ...and several hours later, put it down and realise that instead of cleaning, I'e just made more mess. :rolleyes: )

I wonder how hard it is to make a set of blinkers? Uhoh... there I go again... :o

Touchwood
5th December 2006, 12:46 AM
My blanks have gone missing.

Sorry, it's just got to be said ...

(a bit like the comments from the guys when Toni asked 'what is a fence')

Skew, are you having
a boys look or a mum's look :p :p :p

from one of the girls!!!!

PenTurner
5th December 2006, 08:04 AM
Terry B, nice pens, but a bit dangerous to let us know you have Cactii in your garden!!! Amos

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th December 2006, 02:22 PM
Terry B, nice pens, but a bit dangerous to let us know you have Cactii in your garden!!! Amos

SSSSSH! Now you've done it. It looks like my search continues...

Skew, are you having
a boys look or a mum's look :p :p :p

I'm having a bloke's look. :D Send in a boy and we'd have to send in a search party a couple of hours later. Send in a Mum and I'd get "Clean your room! No wonder you can't find anything in there..." :rolleyes:

dai sensei
7th December 2006, 08:23 PM
Well I finished one of mine today and I think it turned out well. I went for an island theme, I even have a coconut tree :D Now just have to wait for some sunshine to take a photo:o

Where's everyone else's:confused: Apart from Soundman and Terry, we've all been a bit slack this month. Soundman, you may want to link your photos from the other thread to this one.

lubbing5cherubs
7th December 2006, 08:37 PM
yep I been slack. Finances to tight to buy kits
:(
. So learning other things :D
bye Toni

dai sensei
10th December 2006, 01:56 PM
Well the clouds have subsided for a while and I managed to get some pics. I gave up on hills and clouds, too hard:o , but went for a sunset island (with a bit of imagination:rolleyes: ).

The first 2 pics are of my “Sunset” theme pen. The sunset consists of 0.5-1mm slices of the blanks and slithers (Elm, Paduak, Bull Oak, PNG Rosewood, Purpleheart, Rock Maple, Blackwood, and Cocobolo) cut on the bandsaw then glued together with Triton PVA. Then I glued on a thick slice of the Rock Maple dyed blue with CA. Next drilled a hole and glued in a turned and dyed yellow piece of rock maple with CA (I had to later re-dye both these after turning as the dye only soaked in about 0.3mm:( ). I then sanded a curve out and glued in a corresponding sanded piece of Iroko. After turning I burnt in the coconut palm on both sides. Finally I finished with CA/EEE/Glow. I used the Polaris kit to give the largest canvas. The third photo is a close up of the detail.

With the left over sunset I cut it at 30 degrees and glued it together with left over pieces of Paduak and PNG Rosewood blanks in a sort of half butterfly. The second half is a bit of Rose Sheoak I had cut across the grain (the closest match I have to the others).

The last photo is all the pens I made with the extra blanks – from left Elm, Purpleheart, Paduak (I really like this one, photo does not do justice), Bull Oak, PNG Rosewood and Iroko.

rowie
10th December 2006, 10:19 PM
You really are the master are'nt you! Neil, that is a fantastic pen. Well done mate!
Skew, fresh blanks'll arrive tomorrow. Don't lose 'em:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th December 2006, 12:01 AM
yep I been slack. Finances to tight to buy kits
:(
. So learning other things :D

Way to go! (Me too. ;))

Skew, fresh blanks'll arrive tomorrow. Don't lose 'em:)

I'll try not to. :o The worst of it is, the others are all cut'n'glued, ready for their 5 mins of glory on the lathe. :mad:

What's the betting I'll start cutting this lot up and, as soon as I reach the "point of no return," move a piece of wood and find my truants?

Touchwood
12th December 2006, 11:51 PM
we've all been a bit slack this month.

:o I'd have to 'fess to being 'behind the 8 ball' at the moment. End of the year at work has certainly taken a toll on my time (and my health, no, not self inflicted!!!) Actually currently have the flu and ended up in emergency on Saturday night getting breathing assistance (asthma and flu don't mix). But, been out of bed ALL day today!!! First since about last Thursday!

However, that said, I do have a disgraceful thing AKA as a pen ready to put together - that was until I saw Neil's, and now I even think the scrap heap is too good! HWMBO recons it's OK, I don't.

All is not lost, work is now over - enough of the 'all the holidays teachers get already' - back to serious turning to catch up.

Sorry, but I will catch up!

JD

Froggie40
13th December 2006, 11:55 PM
Ok what is happening with all the pens and where do I send a couple of mine to do my bit for whoever.
Someone please pm me with details I just dont seem to have a lot of time to go through the forum much lately.

Froggie

lubbing5cherubs
14th December 2006, 01:16 AM
neil awesome job really nice
Toni

Fireman sam
14th December 2006, 06:20 PM
Hi all
sorry they are late I have been putting up my Xmass lights :) :cool:
Andrew

Touchwood
18th December 2006, 12:07 PM
After the disastrous first idea - enlogated triangles to represent sun rays et al - obviously the thought synapses were not firing correctly and it was less than ideal!! Paduak and bull oak rays in Elm (I believe).

Take two - the colours of sunset with suns - a yellow mulberry and a bulloak cut with a snug plug cutter so they don't go all the way through. Red cedar and Iroko.

Love the way both of the main woods shimmer!

JD

NewLondon88
18th December 2006, 01:20 PM
wow! very nice.

tight plug cutter, indeed! 3 hours prep, ten minutes turning?

dai sensei
18th December 2006, 06:47 PM
Well done Andrew. Love your background too - hairy oak?

DJ - Love those hills with the sun version. Nice tight joints, something I have trouble with:o

DJ’s Timber
18th December 2006, 07:08 PM
DJ - Love those hills with the sun version. Nice tight joints, something I have trouble with:o

UMMM I think you meant JD Neil

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th December 2006, 07:13 PM
Dexlysics Untie! :D

dai sensei
18th December 2006, 07:43 PM
UMMM I think you meant JD Neil

:eek: :o :D