PDA

View Full Version : Red cedar thingy

powderpost
3rd December 2006, 05:30 PM
Found this blank in the shed hiding under a heap of 'stuff'. It just needed to be attended to. The bowl is 330mm diameter and 75mm thick. The flutes were cut while still in the lathe, with a router mounted in a cradle. The gold is paint used by folk artists and the whole thing given about twelve coats of lacquer. Each coat of lacquer was cut back with progressivly finer wet and dry paper with a gentle wipe of soap. The last sanding was with 1200# paper and then buffed with very small amounts of EEE paste.
Jim

rsser
3rd December 2006, 06:04 PM
Bewdiful. Kinda speccy for a 'thingy' :D

What are the dimensions PP?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd December 2006, 06:34 PM
I know ashtrays are socially incorrect (if not politically) nowadays, but isn't calling it a thingy instead a bit... extreme? :D

Bloody nice piece of work just the same. ;) I'll have to try some of that gilt paint, I'm pretty sure we have some rattling out back in the "past hobbies room."

Terry B
3rd December 2006, 09:30 PM
Stunning:)

joe greiner
3rd December 2006, 09:49 PM
"Thingy" is OK with me. I'd hate to see ashes "decorating" something that nice. How about car keys? Paper clips? Pocket change? ....?

Beautiful work, Jim.

Joe

soundman
3rd December 2006, 10:19 PM
No No No.... its not a thingy.... its a faithfull rendering of an ailen transportation device, exactly like the one powderpost himself saw last weekend while out wood hunting.
The ailiens planted the image in his subconcious mind & next time he turned on the lathe ......:eek: there it is.

I'm sure these facts will be confirmed by either hipnosis or regression therapy.

Of great scientific value. I'm sure some scientist researcing alien life forms (on ebay) will pay well for it. As long once the truth becomes known.

Definitly the work of a higher intelegence.

it is infact shown upside down the gold area with the radial groves shows detail of the thruster unit.

Guard it well, I'm sure the authorities will try to confiscate it.

trust nobody, wear your foil lined forum cap at all times.

cheers

powderpost
3rd December 2006, 10:25 PM
LOL.......... I am open to offers!!!! SWMBO has decreed, "No more, no more, enough is enough". I guess that means it has to be sold?????? :eek:
Jim

soundman
3rd December 2006, 10:54 PM
ebay with a good picture and the right description......$200 at least:D :D

There's one born every minute.... hope you get yours.

cheers

TTIT
4th December 2006, 12:12 AM
Luvly piece Jim! :) Looks like an aztec sun tribute or something along those lines. I'd be interested to see what shape you formed for the underside (or is it uniform thickness across the profile?).

hughie
4th December 2006, 09:03 AM
Chippy,

simple design, but very effective, I like it. Thumbs up from me

Geez Soundman your off with the fairies. Any body can see its a flammin' button! Dunno :confused: you conspiracy freaks get into everything these days, mutter, mutter...place is goin to der dogs...splutter :D
Thats why SWMBO dont want any more, silly duffer cant get the size right.

if not ebay try oztion or trademe

OGYT
4th December 2006, 02:26 PM
Youse guys are all nuts! ROFHMGL!!! That's tough on an old man! :o)
Nice work, Jim. Ashtray or not. Gilt is nice, but what did it look like without it?
Well done!

BernieP
4th December 2006, 04:17 PM
G'Day Jim

Very nice thingy, when you make something that nice you can call it what you like.

Cheers
Bernie

DIY DAN
6th December 2006, 06:17 PM
The last sanding was with 1200# paper and then buffed with very small amounts of EEE paste.
Jim[/quote]
I'm new to wood turning. What is EEE paste and how do you apply it? It obviously gives a very nice finish

DIY DAN

hughie
7th December 2006, 12:30 AM
I'm new to wood turning. What is EEE paste and how do you apply it? It obviously gives a very nice finish

Dan this is probably the very best place to ask such a question. The sponsor of this forum is the manufacturer...:) check out the link below

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/eee.htm

lubbing5cherubs
7th December 2006, 12:49 AM
Isn't EEE only an abrasive not a finish?? Can someone clear that up for me?
Thanks TOni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th December 2006, 05:51 PM
Yes and no. :rolleyes: It's all in how you interpret the word "finish." Is it the stuff you're finishing with or the final result?

EEE is, in itself, a cutting compound... so can be used to give a final polish before a "finish" goes on, eg. Shellawax.

If the Shellawax is too glossy, you can use EEE afterwards to give it a silkier "finish." Or, in the case of acrylics, you don't need to apply a "finish" at all, but can use EEE to get rid of the sanding marks of 1200 to give it an even smoother "finish."

Words, words, words. :D:D

tashammer
7th December 2006, 09:46 PM
as in "yer finished messing around with it" so next you will apply a "finish" that will seal and protect the wood be it oil, varnish, polyurethane etc etc. Or yer finished with the whole damn thing as you hurl the jobby to the floor and then you notice passers by throwing coins at you because they think you are doing a traditional turners dance.

powderpost
8th December 2006, 01:13 PM
I called that project a 'thingy' because it was niether a bowl, in the accepted sense, nor a platter in the accepted idea either, so 'thingy' was born. It was polished with three coats of clear grain filler (read sanding sealer) sanded with 320# between coats, which, by the way. were applied with a rag. Then sprayed with laquer about ten or twelve times. After each coat it was sanded lightly wet and dry paper, used wet, with a light wipe over a cake of soap. The last papering was with 1200#. The surface was then very smooth but with no lustre. To restore a nice glowing surface, it was buffed up with a soft rag with a smear of EEE. A similar effect can be achieved with OOOO steel wool, but I prefer EEE. Yep EEE is an abrasive. but extremely fine and does the same thing as a cutting compound on a cars paint. Hope that clears up any confusion.
Jim

Christopha
8th December 2006, 05:01 PM
Jim, I like yer lumpa wood with a dent in it, nice form and beaut finish.

soundman
10th December 2006, 11:15 PM
As I said before.... once you undergo the hypnotic regression therapy you will find that isn't a thingy but an accurate artistic impression of an actual space craft.

Seriously though there are arty type interiors people who would part with serious cash for your thingy.

cheers