PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Router Bits

Little Festo
7th May 2003, 10:00 AM
I got a nasty suprise the other day when opened a boxed set of CMT bits to discover that there was quite a bit of rust on the shanks. On inspection I found that the plastic inserts in the box were "sweaty" (similar to some older power leads for one of my electronic flash units). Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. We've had a very hot and humid wet season so I'll need to be a bit more carefull in future.

Peter

John Saxton
7th May 2003, 08:54 PM
Hi, There was a notation (some time back in a WW magazine)that to reduce rust and therefore pitting of tools in a humid atmosphere to literally use oil soaked cloth to wrap around the tools.

Perhaps an e-mail to CMT in haw best to deal with your problem!

Or I imagine some close fitting cloth to keep misture at bay.
For instance I use oil-soaked felt to hold my wood chisels...and this may be an option for you to explore by having two strips of wood with oil soaked felt lining the insides mounted so that you can mount your router bits between them as I have with my chisels.
Just some thoughts.
Cheers:)

soundman
7th May 2003, 11:43 PM
I have had similar problems from time to time.
My shed has a humidity problem!!

a bit of fine wet & dry and rub with sone fine oil usualy does the trick.

Wayne Davy
7th May 2003, 11:54 PM
My bits all live now in a old plastic breadboard with 1/2 inch holes drilled all over it. I also put a couple of those little moisture bags you get in the box when you buy things like electrical items such as VCR's, Kitchen appliances, camera's, etc. Result, no rust.

Little Festo
8th May 2003, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the replys. I was a bit suprised that it was the expensive CMT bits in their customised box that rusted but not some other less expensive bits stored in a plastic router bit holder.

Petter