PDA

View Full Version : segmenting basic turning

lubbing5cherubs
5th December 2006, 01:39 PM
Hi can someone give me a basic design for making those bowls. I seen lots of people showing me how they make it online. I have seen the programs that shows you the angle but I can't figure out the thickness or how far to cut the bits. Does anyone have a simple starting one that I can start with to learn?
thanks Toni

lubbing5cherubs
5th December 2006, 02:38 PM
oh and i forgot it is only a very small lathe (little leda) so I can only do small bowls
thanks Toni

BernieP
5th December 2006, 06:35 PM
oh and i forgot it is only a very small lathe (little leda) so I can only do small bowls
thanks Toni
G'Day Toni

You could try this blokes idea, I haven't but intend to one day http://www.joelswoodturning.com/howto.html

Cheers
Bernie

benji79
5th December 2006, 08:26 PM
Try this page, seems to be a bit of info.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/segmented_turning/index.html

Cheers.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th December 2006, 09:21 PM
Early this morning I started to reply, then decided to do a WIP instead.

Spent a couple of hours drawing up various designs & profiles, before I decided I'd had enough and turned a couple of pens instead. (Sorry, Toni!)

But basically, the best way is to sit down with a piece of paper and design it all before even thinking about cutting up the wood. You need to know the shape and size of what you want, at the very least.

I draw a "profile" of the bowl, a cross-section, and then user a ruler to mark where each ring will be. Pic #1 From this you can make measurements of what the inside & outside sizes needed for each ring are. Pic #2

On another piece of paper I draw a ring using those sizes, dividing it up into however many segments I want per ring.... in the example it's only 8 segments.... usually it's a lot more but I'm keeping it simple for the pic. ;) (Pic #3) Then I draw a straight line across the inside ring of one segment (Line A) and a line parallel to this on the outside. (Line B) The piece I've marked in grey is the SMALLEST segment you can use to make that particular ring... the light grey areas are what's turned away and as I'm sure you can guess, any mistake will ruin it. It's better to make it the segment wider (and waste a bit more wood) just to be safe. :)

Then I repeat the whole process to work out the sizes of the next ring's segments. Is it obvious whyI turned some pens instead? :confused::rolleyes:

Anyways, I hope this gives you some idea of how I go about it.

chrisb691
6th December 2006, 07:43 AM
Skew, tried to give you a greenie....but have to give em out like jelly beans, before I can give you another. I don't give many out, because I think the post, or poster, should be exceptional in order to earn one.

Mate, you go well beyond exceptional, with you willingness to help out. So please accept a virtual greenie. :D

tashammer
6th December 2006, 10:33 AM
totally agree. The big plus is he is also wacky, cranky, really weird,funny, humorous, writes a damn good read and seems to represent everything good about being an Australian. If he farts in bed then he will be a cracker.

Still, he's only young yet so that there is time, don't you reckon?

lubbing5cherubs
6th December 2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks skewy I figured out the angles but you know when you read the patterns like when you look at your design there. How high do you make the segments layer. Or doesn't matter providing it all equal?
Toni

powderpost
6th December 2006, 12:42 PM
Toni, make the thickness of the layers to suit the design of the project, or the timber at hand. That isn't the worst part, accurately cutting the pieces is quite critical. I would recommend, if you don't have, or are concerned about power saws, make a wooden mitre box and cut in it the angles. If possible, sand the pieces square and clean and check the angles. I found that band type clamps (very big radiator clamps) the best. Sometimes I use very large rubber bands. If the dry run shows inaccuracies in the joints, only glue every second joint and adjust when dry. Might be better to do a wip?? Will wait to see if Skewie does, if it is different from what I do, will do a wip. If it is the same then there is no point.
Jim

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th December 2006, 02:08 PM
Might be better to do a wip?? Will wait to see if Skewie does, if it is different from what I do, will do a wip. If it is the same then there is no point.

You have it down to an art mate, I'm just a tinkerer. I'll bow out to the master and get back to cleaning my shed. ;)

Jim Carroll
6th December 2006, 03:27 PM
Toni this might help has an online video as well.
http://marleyturned.com

powderpost
6th December 2006, 03:59 PM
Skewie, you have the sweetest side step I have ever seen.. :D :D :D
I had NO intention of stealing your thunder. I shall see what I can do, if thats ok by you.
Jim

lubbing5cherubs
6th December 2006, 08:07 PM
first one is turned. I had been experimenting since I asked, it got a few holes in but here it is. I apologise for the photo I had to use phone camera my good camera is back with a warranty, oh I have no idea on what the wood it was a scrap piece I found no way was going to experiment on a good piece.
bye Toni

AJcairns
6th December 2006, 09:05 PM
Toni
if you give me the max size you can turn on your lathe i can give you via email a few designs i have from programme. when you see them it gives you answers to all your questions .

catch you AJ

lubbing5cherubs
6th December 2006, 09:07 PM
hi AJ the maximum I can do is 254mm that what is written on JC website where I bought it from.
Thanks Toni

AJcairns
6th December 2006, 10:08 PM
Toni
this is a couple take a look and i will talk to you about all the figures

catch you AJ

lubbing5cherubs
6th December 2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks AJ, I had downloaded that program yesterday.:confused: some of them numbers are double dutch. but I do think they are beginning to make some sense. Still not sure which one tells what I need to set my cutting width on (is that the edge length)and which one tells me how thick each layer is??(is that the layer hieght?) I know dopey sheilas but this been hard work figuring this out.:eek: :D but so worth I know it will bring hours of fun once i figure it out. I don't give up anyway
thanks guys for helping me I appreciate it
Toni

Gil Jones
7th December 2006, 11:33 AM
Nice segmented bowl, Toni!!
Looks like you are having a fun time learning :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th December 2006, 06:05 PM
Skewie, you have the sweetest side step I have ever seen.. :D :D :D
I had NO intention of stealing your thunder. I shall see what I can do, if thats ok by you.

I've seen your work and I'm damned sure I'd learn more from you than you could from me. Unless you want to know what not to do? :D:D

first one is turned. I had been experimenting since I asked, it got a few holes in but here it is. I apologise for the photo I had to use phone camera my good camera is back with a warranty, oh I have no idea on what the wood it was a scrap piece I found no way was going to experiment on a good piece.

Nothing wrong with that Toni, good effort! Most people's first try at seg work seem to end up scattered around the shed... I know mine did. :o

I'll bet you learned a lot from making that one. :)

BernieP
7th December 2006, 06:32 PM
G'Day Toni

Nice bowl can't wait to see next one now you have broken the ice

Cheers
Bernie

AJcairns
7th December 2006, 09:33 PM
Toni
cutting width is edge length & how thick is each layer is layer height. if you want to change the number of segments it is only a click on programme so if 18 is to many just let me know and will change for you each layer can also be solid if you like to give contrast. when you want to try a closed hollow form i will give you the sheet for picture in reply

catch you AJ

QbnDusty
7th December 2006, 10:21 PM
Hi Toni
Your first effort looks great. I first got into this segmented turning occupation by making the Brick bowl which turned out rather nice. Visit http://www.swcp.com/%7Ergbrown/brickbowl.pdf.
Regards and go for it.;);););)