PDA

View Full Version : WOuld anyone like to turn a Mallet for me??

NewLou
5th December 2006, 08:48 PM
Gidday:)

Hopefully I'll be able to repay something in the future I'm presently working on making some mallets for myself and really want a rounded carvers mallet.

Was wondering if anyone in the turning community would mind turning me a mallet for a direct swap or some kind of exchange in the future???

Would be really appreciated

REgards Lou:)

DJ’s Timber
5th December 2006, 08:56 PM
I would be happy to help you out Lou.

rowie
5th December 2006, 08:56 PM
If no-one local puts up their hand, I can help you out.
Onya DJ

NewLou
5th December 2006, 09:09 PM
:)

Thx very much for the offers fellas.

Love the thought of a Handcraft Mallet :-)

djs please PM me so we can work out some details

MAny Regards Lou:D:D:D:D:D

NewLou
5th December 2006, 10:16 PM
Gidday DJ:)

Hope these PICS HELP

;):D:D;)

DJ’s Timber
5th December 2006, 10:29 PM
Gidday DJ:)

Hope these PICS HELP

;):D:D;)

Damn, now I have to go and buy a bloody Melbourne Bitter beer :eek: so I can measure it for size :D .

Hope that stubby was empty before you tipped it up the other way :p

NewLou
5th December 2006, 10:40 PM
LOL:)

YEr I reckon ya'd have to add about 4cm to the length of the neck = perfect handle size

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh theres so many uses for a stubbie

Cheers :D:D:D

rsser
6th December 2006, 05:08 PM
Nah, there's only one really!

But thinking about this, why does my carver's mallet have a separate handle/shaft and head?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th December 2006, 11:00 PM
Because it could be made using less timber? :D

DJ’s Timber
7th December 2006, 07:36 PM
Here you go Lou, I have taken a picture of an offcut from the redgum I will use for your mallet.

This piece is 75mm high so you can gauge the size of the fiddleback and I wet it before I took the picture.

Slow6
7th December 2006, 07:41 PM
Score Lou!.. thats a lovely bit of redgum. good onya dj.

goat
7th December 2006, 08:45 PM
drooool ,what a nice piece of fiddle back :)

NewLou
7th December 2006, 08:57 PM
WOW:)

IS all I can say DJ.......................AM looking foward to seeing the finished 'piece'. I consider myself a very very lucky man!

Now what can can i come up with:o

REGards Lou:D:D:D

martrix
7th December 2006, 09:18 PM
yes indeed, nice piece of gum there DJ...on top of the cat scratch pole too:D

rsser
7th December 2006, 09:33 PM
Because it could be made using less timber? :D

Good point.

But then you've got all the bother of matching the two pieces and holding them together.

Must've been a traditional thing when a peasant turner could live on the smell of DO rag ;-}

tashammer
7th December 2006, 09:42 PM
i always thought that it was the carpenters mallet that was in two bits and the carvers round mallet was in one bit, i did.

rsser
8th December 2006, 07:25 AM
Well, both of mine are in two bits.

tashammer
8th December 2006, 07:47 AM
maybe yours is broken?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th December 2006, 08:28 AM
maybe yours is broken?

:D

Ern, are both parts of yours the same timber? I'd imagine another possible reason for making 'em in two parts would be if the desired wood for the "head" isn't the best choice for a handle. I've seen what appears to be carver's mallets with heads made of Red Cedar. I'm not sure just what they were designed for but I doubt it was for whacking chisels! Perhaps they were just fancy gavels?

How are the handles attached? Wedges? Pins? Perhaps whoever made 'em had a propensity for breaking handles and didn't want to waste the heads? :rolleyes:

Or perhaps they just wanted to be different...

JackoH
8th December 2006, 09:07 AM
Wgga Wagga has one of the best wood turning clubs in the country. Why don't you go along and learn to do it yourself,. Much more satisfactory.
Contact Larry Sloan (I'm sure he's in your local telephone directory.)

tashammer
8th December 2006, 09:25 AM
i was pulling his leg (metaphorically speaking, of course).

But one piece yes and round yes. There are even good reasons for "round" head and it's nothing to do with Oliver Cromwell either.

hughie
8th December 2006, 11:53 AM
In my case the heads are secured a tapered fit.A real nice fit, although I figured the round type might split its head open with constant whacks...so far so good...:D
I have a 100year old caulking mallet, about 1.5kg sound as the day it was made it also has a tapered round handle. The handle goes through the body at right angles not up the centre like carving mallets.

tashammer
8th December 2006, 01:12 PM
Nevermind hughie, it must be a terrible thaing when you have to use old stuff and can't afford new?

DJ’s Timber
12th December 2006, 07:56 PM
G'day Lou

Made a start on your mallet today.

Thinking of keeping this one for myself as it has a small crack in it. I don't think it will get any bigger or open up with use. It isn't very deep.

The last picture shows the crack in the timber.

Let me know if this is ok or I can do another one, but it won't be as figured as this redgum. This split runs right thru the other pieces as well.

Have got some other redgum that hasn't got any defects in it, but it only has a small amount of fiddleback in it.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th December 2006, 08:31 PM
Ouch! Don't you just hate that?

I've a couple of pieces of similarly figured red-gum that have almost identical cracks. No good for bowl turning (what I sourced them for) but they'll make lovely veneers one day...

lubbing5cherubs
12th December 2006, 08:42 PM
pity nice wood there..don't worry DJ still able to get some pen blanks out of it. :D
Toni

NewLou
12th December 2006, 10:35 PM
Gidday Dj

The crack is fine...............is just one of those things working with redgum n adds a bit of character. I went through the woodpile n finally found a few bits a lovely redgum for a nice hand crafted mallet for yourself.

I decided to make the handle outta some spalted stock thats really come up nice. The mallet head started to check a bit too so my solution was to fill with epoxy mixed with fine jarrah dust .................. worked a treat n gives a tiger pattern effect.......................very nice

All I gotta do now is the joinery n finishing

REgards Lou:D:D:D

DJ’s Timber
12th December 2006, 10:41 PM
No worries, will finish it off tomorrow.

My mallets looking good maaaate.

DJ’s Timber
13th December 2006, 11:49 AM
Done, just need your address now Lou.

Have put a few photos up, but they just don't show the true beauty of this redgum.

Finish with EEE, Shellawax and Traditional Wax.

NewLou
13th December 2006, 06:06 PM
Looks great DJ :)

I'm just tidying yours up n working on the finish. I'll PM you Friday When I intend to have your mallet done with my details for shipment.

I'll post you a pic once shes sorted!!!

REGards Lou:D:D:D

bitingmidge
13th December 2006, 06:40 PM
I love you guys..
:o :o :o

P
:D

NewLou
14th December 2006, 05:38 PM
Here ya go DJ:)

One Hand Crafted MAllet................the photos arn't great cause my cameras playing up but I think you get the idea

This has been great Fun n thx once again for going to all that trouble to turn my dream Mallet;)

Lou the HAppy Camper:D:D:D:D:D

DJ’s Timber
14th December 2006, 05:52 PM
Looks great Lou :cool: , love the tiger striping.

This will be my first two piece wooden mallet :eek: or is that three with the wedge, have plenty of one piece ones :D

rodent
22nd December 2006, 01:09 PM
malldrwg.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=36759&stc=1&d=1166753260)DCP_0015.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=36760&stc=1&d=1166753940) TRY THIS
(http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=36759&stc=1&d=1166753260)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd December 2006, 01:23 PM
Tool-marks, Rod? You're slipping!

rodent
22nd December 2006, 01:38 PM
Hey That Was 2 Years Ago

rsser
22nd December 2006, 02:14 PM
Hey Skew, missed your query on p 1:

Both mallets look to be of the same material; interference fit but the carver has loosened off after a mere 30 years ... can't match Hughie's!