PDA

View Full Version : New member

ciscokid
7th December 2006, 10:50 PM
Hello. I am brand new to this forum. I joined after lurking in your woodturning section for a while. I am 45 years old and live in Northern Virginia on a farm right on the Rappahannock river. My wife and I have 6 horses and a herd of black angus cattle. I started woodworking about 20 months ago to relax and have been busy making all the usual beginners stuff. Tissue boxes, jewelry boxes, and mailbox banks, etc... I work almost exclusively with exotic lumber and have amassed a large box of scraps. I am interested in glueing up these scraps and turning decorative bowls. Some of the smaller pieces will make for nice pen blanks.

Now the problem - I don't have a lathe. Can one or more of you please recommend to me a nice lathe that will turn something as small as a pen, can turn a 10" or so diameter bowl and can do a table leg at least 22" long? I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible, but am prepared to go higher so as not to buy a piece of garbage.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. I have never so much as touched a lathe.

bennylaird
7th December 2006, 10:53 PM
Ahhhhhhh Cisssssssssssssscoo

Plenty here will help out but in the meantime try the search. Your questions have been asked before so just try a few key words and see what comes up.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th December 2006, 12:07 AM
I'd be looking at the MC-900 clones if I were you. I believe they're about US$400... but you also need to look at the "extra expenses."

Tools, grinder and suitable wheel, a good scroll-chuck, safety gear... they all add up.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. :)

joe greiner
8th December 2006, 12:48 AM
Grinder and wheel especially. You must learn to sharpen your tools, or you'll be disappointed.

I lived in Arlington/Falls Church area for many years in my younger days. There's a woodturners club not too far from you. Meets in Alexandria:

http://www.capwoodturners.org

Check the AAW web site for other clubs in VA.
[(https://www.woodturner.org/ - Boink AAW local chapters)]

Woodturners are some of the most cordial folks you can get to know. A very valuable source of know-how and inspiration. (Just like here.)

Joe

Caveman
8th December 2006, 01:05 AM
Hey Ciscokid - welcome.
As said, try the search function - a great aid to finding loads of info.

Remember to share some pictures of your work when you get turning.

hughie
8th December 2006, 01:19 AM
[

Now the problem - I don't have a lathe. Can one or more of you please recommend to me a nice lathe that will turn something as small as a pen, can turn a 10" or so diameter bowl and can do a table leg at least 22" long? I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible, but am prepared to go higher so as not to buy a piece of garbage.

Cisco,

Welcome, but you may find that the price of the lathe is the smallest cost over time.
You will need some HSS turning tools:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/catalog/tools.html
This will give an idea, but you might want too look over a few tutorials first.
http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_articles.html#design
http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/woodturn.htm
http://www.woodezine.com/archives.html#Features
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/fplgtr113.htm

and as already mentioned a grinder and some knowledge of whats involved in sharpening your tools
http://www.woodcentral.com/newforum/grinds.shtml

But as Joe has already mentioned get along to your local wood turners club or chapter. They will have all the local knowledge on where to go for the best buys and have heaps of advise to offer.

Be warned its addictive stuff this wood turning :D

Doc Ron
8th December 2006, 02:12 AM
Welcome to a fellow Yank ( tho maybe a Virginian might object to that title). You will find folks here among the most helpful. Feel free to ask anything and to share your work for comments. You will also learn some really neat Austrailian terms and slang. Before I joined, I had no idea what a "piccy" was or how to make "Crissy pressies", and now I understand these Ozian terms. You too will become enlightened, grasshopper!.

keith53
8th December 2006, 06:44 AM
(Pancho) 'OK Cisco, lez went'

Welcome mate. There's others on this board who'll give you good advice on which lathe is best. What I can say is you're opening an enjoyable can of worms with the sharpening of your tools. Its a nice little study in itself.

SawDustSniffer
8th December 2006, 12:08 PM
i own a "dinalink" china made ,well thay call it a lathe , avoid bying any thing with hollow tubes for the bed and tin foil for head stock ,

roughing out a bowl last night was just geaf not fun ,it jumped out the chuck 3 times before i spat it will try to fix it , at the moment ive got the thing apart and about to mount a lazer pointer in the chuck to see if i can get the chuck to point toward the tail stop (about 10deg off at the moment ) will have to file out the bearing mounts and bolt it back true ,
strange that the tail stop and chuck meet purfectly ,there just not in the same line

might bye my self a woodfast lathe for xmas ( australian made ? i think there made in china now , but what isnt)

BernieP
8th December 2006, 06:28 PM
G'Day Cisco

Welcome aboard, if you have questions these are the boys to answer them. Certainly helped me a lot.

Cheers
Bernie

Twinnie
8th December 2006, 08:34 PM
welcome aboard, these are the nicest people you'll ever meet and between them have made every thing and know every thing

Matt

Terry B
8th December 2006, 10:04 PM
Welcome aboard.
I agree with Skews comment. A MC 900 or MC1100 clone are good starts. Not too expensive and solid enough to get you going.

tashammer
8th December 2006, 10:22 PM
g'day and welcome Cisco. This mob here are damn good fellers who will bend over backwards to help - though i am not sure how that would help unless it was some sort of Tantric-Yoga position.

Another thing you might consider is buying a used lathe, falling deeply in love with woodturning and then buying a Oneway lathe.

lubbing5cherubs
8th December 2006, 10:31 PM
Welcome to a fellow Yank ( tho maybe a Virginian might object to that title). You will find folks here among the most helpful. Feel free to ask anything and to share your work for comments. You will also learn some really neat Austrailian terms and slang. Before I joined, I had no idea what a "piccy" was or how to make "Crissy pressies", and now I understand these Ozian terms. You too will become enlightened, grasshopper!.

Hey Ron we talk normal. the rest of the board will agree with me. :p :D It not our fault you foreigner don't understand good english:p :D
No serious welcome Turning is common ground. we can all talk that language:D
Toni

rsser
9th December 2006, 12:07 PM
Yes, welcome.

We do speak English here but in MS Word you have to select English (Australian) otherwise the auto grammar and spell checking will give your more red lines than a May Day parade ;-}

Hughie's second link has a link to Brian Clifford's Intro to Woodturning which IMO is a beaut site. Backup to his homepage and you'll find lots more goodies.

The Siegal pieces are also worth a read. I especially liked his aphorism: the satisfaction of woodturning is directly proportional to the mass of the lathe.

And yep Ptc, the big lump of Silver Birch is still in the spalting stage, tho it's hard to keep it damp with a 37 degree day, an orange sun and bushfire smoke enveloping the city.

(By luck I survived the '83 fires; I'm glad to be living in Melb today, but my heart goes out to all the folk living in the NE.)

OGYT
9th December 2006, 02:01 PM
Welcome, you can't find a friendlier forum, or a better bunch of blokes.;)
That said, don't worry too much if you don't understand all of 'em... you'll learn, if you ask dumb questions like I do.:confused: :confused:
I suggest you look at the Grizzly G0462 Wood Lathe. It's a 16" swing X 43" between centers. It has a 2 Horsepower motor, Cast Iron Bed, Cast Iron Legs, #2 Morse Taper Spindle and Tailstock. 3/8" Spindle Bore, 10 Speeds, with digital readout spindle tach. Headstock rotates. All for only $395.:eek: :D
Now, having said that, I'll add this. I started with a Sears tube lathe... bad choice. Then I went to a Grizzly 12X36, G5979. Had to do a little tweaking to get the tailstock and headstock to align perfectly, but for the price I didn't go wrong. ;) Still have it and use it sometimes. I now have a Oneway 1640... the Grizzly 0462 is just as big as mine, and $3000 less.:eek:
The Grizzlly 0462 would be a dynamite starting lathe for that price. Even if you do have to do a little tweaking.:D

ciscokid
11th December 2006, 11:08 PM
Welcome, you can't find a friendlier forum, or a better bunch of blokes.;)
I suggest you look at the Grizzly G0462 Wood Lathe. It's a 16" swing X 43" between centers. It has a 2 Horsepower motor, Cast Iron Bed, Cast Iron Legs, #2 Morse Taper Spindle and Tailstock. 3/8" Spindle Bore, 10 Speeds, with digital readout spindle tach. Headstock rotates. All for only $395.:eek: :D

Thanks, OGYT! I'm doing research on this lathe right now based on your recommendation. I'm also looking at its cousin, the G0584. Not sure what the differences are yet, but they look to fit what I need as far as a lathe goes. You see, once I get comfortable doing pens and pepper mills and such, I'd really like to try my hand at segmented bowls. I think I'm going to like turning a whole lot! :)

joe greiner
12th December 2006, 12:00 AM
My 1.5 cents worth, Grizzly G0584 vs G0462:

For only $20 more (G0462), you get:
1"x8 spindle - more "standard" than 1"x12 of G0584.
Better motor location - no interfence with workpiece near headstock.
More HP.
Digital readout.
Larger swing.
Slightly heavier, so needs less ballast.

My only hesitation would be that the tailstock looks less robust. This may not matter, as the openings in the tailstock might be stress-free in a solid version.

Joe

hughie
12th December 2006, 12:59 AM
For only $20 more (G0462), you get:
1"x8 spindle - more "standard" than 1"x12 of G0584.
Better motor location - no interfence with workpiece near headstock.
More HP.
Digital readout.
Larger swing.
Slightly heavier, so needs less ballast.

My only hesitation would be that the tailstock looks less robust. This may not matter, as the openings in the tailstock might be stress-free in a solid version.

Cisco,
I would say that, thats, a darn fine 1.5 cents worth. I reckon the underlined benefits alone are enough to go for it.

Me, I would seriously be looking at parting with the extra $20. :D

ciscokid
12th December 2006, 04:04 AM
Yep. Sounds like a no-brainer to me also. Just looking for a local supplier now. Then I'll need a good set of starter gouges, some sharpening supplies, some pen kits, some finishing supplies,...........

Does this list end?

OGYT
12th December 2006, 02:38 PM
Ceesco...... if you order direct from Grizzly, you'll get it faster. They've got several warehouses strategically placed around the states.
It'd be nice if you could go directly to one of 'em and personally look over the one you're buyin'. Easier to check the head/tail stocks alignment.
Shippin' will add a chunk to the price, also.

joe greiner
12th December 2006, 10:41 PM
I'm not aware of any "local supplier" for Grizzly. Nearest showroom to you is Muncy, PA (NE part of PA). According to their catalog, they have a "customer reference service," to put you in touch with a nearby previous customer of the item you're interested in. 1-800-523-4777.

"Does this list end?" Nope. Many options for chucks in particular. Lots of DIY accessories possible too. Search this forum for tons of goodies. (Oops! Sorry! tonnes)

Joe