PDA

View Full Version : Help with using a turning tool shaped like a disk

A-Marks
9th December 2006, 02:46 PM
A few years ago I purchased a turning tool that was a solid steel handle (lead shot inside the grip) It used one of two slide in attachments that held the cutting tool. One was a disc shaped cutter the other a piece of HSS 6x6x35 with a square end and a rounded end

anyway

I have never been able to use either as I recieved No instructions on their use and can't find any suitable web based tutorials either..

I got the thing after I saw it demo'd at the Brisbane WWW show, the demonstrator was turning beautiful long shavings off a blank and getting a lovely smooth finish similar to a skew. I can only get it to scrape its very frustrating not to mention I paid 195 dola for the three objects. ( Handle and two plugins).

Has anyone ever used one?
Anyone know how to present it to the wood and (also) sharpen it.

Do you know the sort of tool I mean?

OGYT
9th December 2006, 04:28 PM
Aye, Amarks. I think...Perhaps...Maybe. :o) Turn the scraper at about this / angle, slightly above center, and take very light cuts. Test it out on scrap timber.
Go to http://www.aroundthewoods.com and check out his "Make a Tool". Lot's of good stuff there about the other cutter.

Jim Carroll
9th December 2006, 05:11 PM
I assume from you description that it is a Vermec hollowing tool.

http://cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144970&product_id=1107370071

The 6mm sq peice is for your initial hollowing and the round disc is for your shear scraping.

Have your toolrest set above centre height and with the nose of the tool down and on about a 30 degree angle hollow out the centre of your bowl. Use the scraper disc on about a 45 degree angle.

Use your arm to support the tool and you will get better control.

Get yourself some green timber to practice with as it is a lot more forgiving. If you use dry wood and have a catch you can get into all sorts of bother. I find this tool works great on open forms where you can see the tool and make any adjustments to the angles but I prefer the munro holowing tools for closed forms.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th December 2006, 05:16 PM
Concise and to the point, Jim. :)

I'll second the green wood and open form bit, too. Can't comment on the Munro as I don't have one.... yet.