PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Height

Sarge
19th February 2003, 03:04 PM
I have just bought a new lathe and after setting it up found that it did not mention anything about the ideal height to mount it. I'm assuming because of the position your hands need to be in to hold the tolls that the lathe will need to be mounted a lot lower than the standard 900 mm bench. Could anyone offer some advice on the ideal height and the things I need to take notice off when finding my ideal height, any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

DavidG
19th February 2003, 04:43 PM
Raffan's book (Turning wood)
Quote.
"centre height no lower than the elbow or even 50mm to 75mm above."

whitecatbone
20th February 2003, 01:35 PM
You spindle should be on the same plane as your elbow.

rsser
20th February 2003, 09:25 PM
Run your arm across your chest and place the hand on your shoulder, fingers curling over.

The distance from your elbow to the ground is the height to have your lathe spindle.

Ern

Sarge
21st February 2003, 09:47 AM
Thanks all for the information, at least I'll have it mounted at the right height so I won't be able to blame all my mistakes on that http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Jeff
19th March 2003, 02:55 AM
I have my lathe much higher than most woodturners. This is because I was having aches in my low back after turning for several hours at a time. I raised the lathe so that I was no longer bending at the waist and the backaches went away. What works for you is the correct height. However, at least elbow high is a good start. Goos luck!