PDA

View Full Version : First vase ever

lubbing5cherubs
13th December 2006, 09:14 AM
HI I am so pleased out with this one. I have dug it right down to the bottom. bit by bit I got there very happy. black sassafras. can't get the same shine on it like on a pen but it was fun though:D
I can't wait your thoughts. I do think I should of not made the top as wide as I did but it still looks ok.
sorry my daughter cut the top off the rim. As soon as she goes and plays I take another so as not to offend her photography skills.. :rolleyes: :D
bye Toni

TTIT
13th December 2006, 09:42 AM
Look's great Toni :) I found hollowing my first few forms a very satisfying achievement too - something about meeting the challenge. Gets much easier with better tools though.

(Didn't think we'd see anymore once those pen kits arrived! ;))

lubbing5cherubs
13th December 2006, 09:57 AM
I am leaving I am leaving she mumbles. They don't want me here. but but...LOL no I have enjoyed doing other things other than my pens but pens I like them because they are lot quicker than other forms.
Toni

Little Festo
13th December 2006, 12:26 PM
Toni,

Keep up the hollowing, it's a lot of fun although it does take a bit longer. I have attached an image of my latest effort, not too fussed about the shape, it's a bit "squat". It's from EMU Apple and the spout is from "pteracarpis sandalina" - not too sure on the spelling.

I haven't been turning much over the last 7-8 months but will get into it NEXT week, my new lathe is supposed to be delivered this week end.

Peter from Pomona (QLD)

lubbing5cherubs
13th December 2006, 12:36 PM
how did you get in that hold hollowed out??
Toni

TTIT
13th December 2006, 12:49 PM
...my new lathe is supposed to be delivered this week end.

Peter from Pomona (QLD)What you were producing on the old one put us all to shame anyway - what have you ordered ???

OGYT
13th December 2006, 02:26 PM
Good going, Toni. Keep it up. It would take me a lot longer to do a pen than a hollowform. :o)
The next one will be easier... 'specially if you make you an Oland Tool.

joe greiner
13th December 2006, 04:15 PM
Very nice looking, Toni. What finish did you use?

Joe

lubbing5cherubs
13th December 2006, 04:51 PM
shellawax but could not get a real good shine. but it still nice for a first time
Toni

BernieP
13th December 2006, 06:50 PM
G'Day Toni

Very nice, keep at them

Cheers
Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th December 2006, 07:42 PM
shellawax but could not get a real good shine. but it still nice for a first time

Like EEE, a little bit of Shellawax goes a long way but too much causes problems like a matte finish or streaking.

'Tis exactly the same as for pens... sand/EEE 'til scratch free and semi-gloss, just a dab of Shellawax on a rag and buff 'til your fingers burn. If you can't get it hot enough without pushing hard, increase the RPMs. Work one area at a time, only add more Shellawax when needed.

You did well, Toni, especially for a first attempt at deep hollowing. Any time you try something for the first time and actually end up with something besides sawdust to show for your efforts, that has to be considered a success. ;)

Little Festo
13th December 2006, 08:52 PM
how did you get in that hold hollowed out??
Toni

Toni, it's two pieces. The body is turned and the spout is then fitted (epoxied) with a tenon type joint. The inside of the spout is turned and finished before fitting, then the spout is finished attached to the body. Some really good turners will turn from an access hole about that size and turn to 2-3mm wall thickness.

TTIT,

The old lathe is a Vicmarc 300 variable speed short bed (nice lathe), the new one is a Stubby 1000, Enzo from Vermec hinted at delivering and setting it up on Sunday. I'll have both lathes set up but the wife wants access to the Vicmarc when required.

Peter

SawDustSniffer
13th December 2006, 09:00 PM
well done , it looks great ,
progessed form pens then have we?,
lol next year she will borrow 's Lathe to turn posts for the front of her house lol
i perfer lager items personaly but have never turned a pen , might bye 1 pen kit and make 10 pens LOL ( i allways loose plastic ones ), trouble is a big vase uses enought timber for 100 pens

lubbing5cherubs
13th December 2006, 09:24 PM
sorry sawdustsniffer... I got a pen on the lathe tonight. Need a fix..LOL
Toni

hughie
14th December 2006, 12:25 AM
Keep up the hollowing, it's a lot of fun although it does take a bit longer. I have attached an image of my latest effort, not too fussed about the shape, it's a bit "squat". It's from EMU Apple and the spout is from "pteracarpis sandalina" - not too sure on the spelling.

Peter I would say the shape is fine and very good grain to boot

hughie
14th December 2006, 12:28 AM
Toni,
For a first effort its looking fine. Shine = time and effort, no big deal if you can get it on a pen, you undoubtedly master it on vases etc.
Better than my first effort :D

stevesandy
18th December 2006, 07:39 PM
Toni, :) Great piece of work,I think you do something that mostmen find hard to do. ASK HOW:rolleyes:
All the best to you and yours
Steve

lubbing5cherubs
18th December 2006, 11:02 PM
Hi Steve, Thanks. Yes I do ask lots of question. That keeps ya on your toes. NO I find it easier to learn by asking questions.
thanks Toni

Wild Dingo
19th December 2006, 12:29 AM
Toni... terrific effort me dear!! WELL DONE!! :cool:

you shoulda seen my first effort :rolleyes: I was so appalled I took it of the lathe and cut it into half a dozen peices just so no one else would see it!! :o

Skew... mate!! CHEERS!! Ive been using both EEE and ultrashine for some time now but could never work out why the damned things would turn matte... EVERY ONE OF THEM!! so I now know Ive been goin at it all wrong :o Ive been whacking the ultrashine on FIRST after sanding doing the entire peice running the lathe at a faster rpm then polish it off slow it down put on EEE and let it run for a few minutes rev it up and then polish off... matte every friggin time! I was beginin to think yous mob had lied to me about how good the stuff was and now I find Id been doin it all wrong all this time :(

But Ive learnt... and Ive also learnt that if Toni can go at it and get such a good result I gotta stop bein a sook and go at it again! ;)

lubbing5cherubs
19th December 2006, 12:37 AM
Good on ya Dingo. Yeah you can do it.
bye Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th December 2006, 12:50 AM
Skew... mate!! CHEERS!! Ive been using both EEE and ultrashine for some time now but could never work out why the damned things would turn matte... EVERY ONE OF THEM!! so I now know Ive been goin at it all wrong :o Ive been whacking the ultrashine on FIRST after sanding doing the entire peice running the lathe at a faster rpm then polish it off slow it down put on EEE and let it run for a few minutes rev it up and then polish off... matte every friggin time! I was beginin to think yous mob had lied to me about how good the stuff was and now I find Id been doin it all wrong all this time :(

You haven't been doing it wrong if you want a matte finish. :D Seriously! I do it that way sometimes.

EEE is really a cutting compound, so is good stuff to use after the Shellawax to get a matte or satin finish. There's actually a bit of a knack to getting it all evenly matte but you probably have that down pat by now. ;)

If you want a real mirror-gleam gloss though, you do it the other way 'round: after the final sanding and before the Shellawax.

But, you know how putting Shellawax straight onto raw timber tends to darken the timber? I've found that EEE does the same, but even more so. This is usually a good thing, but sometimes it's not what you want. [shrug] In that case I'll use Shellawax first, cut it back with EEE to get everything nice'n'smooth, then add another coat of Shellawax to restore the gloss. Hell, sometimes I'll do that two or three times until I get the finish I want.

Wild Dingo
19th December 2006, 01:17 AM
"aahh so masta I think I see"... says grasshopper as he sits at the feet of the revered skewyone :D

Cheers mate! :cool: