PDA

View Full Version : Another vase made from banksia pod

lubbing5cherubs
14th December 2006, 07:41 PM
hi
I was editing it and cleared the lot. The pen I did so I made another vase just to annoy you. LOL no I was playing again. but tried this 2 coat on these it that shiny it looks fake. but I am pleased with my vase it is smooth if that helps you any
bye
Toni:D

DJ’s Timber
14th December 2006, 08:27 PM
Nice job Toni, can you cut the finish back lightly then buff it with some EEE which might give it a more natural look

TTIT
15th December 2006, 09:06 AM
tried this 2 coat on these it that shiny it looks fakeThey should ban that stuff - or at least put a warning on the label that it will make everything look like plastic!:mad: Would look much nicer with just a wipe of Danish oil. Maybe on the next one eh Toni !?!? :)

lubbing5cherubs
15th December 2006, 09:16 AM
I can't get my tin open that what I want to use. It jammed shut can't even budge it with pliers. So I get to get hubby to have try before I up the can with a can opener.
Toni

TTIT
15th December 2006, 09:56 AM
I can't get my tin open that what I want to use. It jammed shut can't even budge it with pliers.
ToniBeen there, done that!!! When I first open a can nowadays Toni, I give the thread of the lid a very thin smear of dri-lube or grease then I fill up a little medicine bottle to use day-to-day. That way, I only have to open the can for as many times as it takes to refill the bottle, the bottle is easier to manage and open and is a lot less oil to lose if it spills (DAMHIKT of course!). Works for me! :)

lubbing5cherubs
15th December 2006, 10:55 AM
what dri lube? like vaseline is it?
Toni

TTIT
15th December 2006, 12:11 PM
what dri lube? like vaseline is it?
ToniSame colour - comes in a stick like a crayon but where we live it melts and ends up in a pool on the shelf. I let mine melt into a tin and use it from there. Any auto shop like Repco keep it.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th December 2006, 03:52 PM
Been there, done that!!! When I first open a can nowadays Toni, I give the thread of the lid a very thin smear of dri-lube or grease then I fill up a little medicine bottle to use day-to-day. That way, I only have to open the can for as many times as it takes to refill the bottle, the bottle is easier to manage and open and is a lot less oil to lose if it spills (DAMHIKT of course!). Works for me! :)

I do similar, except that as I refill the small tins (I have a couple on the go) I top up the big tin with glass marbles to remove the air-gap. There's nothing worse than going back to the big tin and discovering the last quarter has turned to jelly... :(

Gil Jones
16th December 2006, 04:07 AM
Nice looking vase, Toni.

OGYT
16th December 2006, 06:21 AM
Good on ya, Toni. Ya got guts, I say, takin' on a Banksia Pod! :o)

lubbing5cherubs
16th December 2006, 08:46 AM
No Al I did not have that much guts. I shaped the outside and then before I started hollowing it I got in and then before I started to hollow it I wrapped it in packaging tape because I wanted it to be held in the chuck if it broke to bits not flying like my last one. I was a chicken LOL
Toni

OGYT
16th December 2006, 01:07 PM
As long as it worked... ya didn't waste your time... tape works for a lot of things in woodturning. :o)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th December 2006, 02:45 PM
There's nothing wrong with using tape, fencing wire, string, hose-clamps or whatever else comes to hand when the job needs it.

That ain't being chicken, it's being sensible. ;)

lubbing5cherubs
16th December 2006, 03:33 PM
oh..OK I thought I was woozing it. When I taped it but I rather that than a smack in the mouth might hurt
TOni

SawDustSniffer
17th December 2006, 03:02 AM
well done on the bansia pod , never thought of that :)

:eek: thanks , gave me an idear , will chop down that turmite mound in the middle of my drive way ( 200mm dia by 200mm high ) and turn it , will call it " REVENGE" ( casting epoxy to stableise and trap a few of the nasty knoring bastareds )

will check that it's leagle before removing a turmite mound ,
If they decide to build in the middle of the drive way and i knock the top off every mornning , i think it's far game ( will pour the casting resin in before removeing nest :eek: )

ummm every one dosnt like the 2 pac ??? ( best sealer in the tropics )
had stuff move every way , crack ,twist , and warp with oils and wax as well as enamels and ecrilics ,might be a wet / dry problem
2 pac is stable ( area i gess ) , im new to turning and have looked up the " UBEAUT" suppler in NT and will visit ( when i get the time )to purchase EEE and SHELLAWAX to give it a try ( you guy's might convert me )

Im a wattle 7008 adict and havent useded 7008 in at least 24 hours ( im sanding it back now and about to recoat, the humidiyts down low at 1 am ) LOL

dam shame im 1/2 way through a coffie table , Jarra , segmented turned corners , carved skirt to match turning ,on two 10 inch round sub woofer / suported legs , will have PC , LCD progector , 5.1 surround sound and speakers ( 4 seakers in corners and 2 subs in legs )mounted to the botom of the coffie table ,all it's tennon joins have had 3 coats before asembaling with mega epoxy 69(clear) and will spay 7008 on the last 2 coats , ( 6months on and off so far )

so it might look like plastic , but after 3-5 coats it looks like glass ( well in my eye's )
scratch resistant , burn resistant ( but no one smokes now but me )

so ill purchase these "UBEAUT" products and give um a go ( thats all i promess) lol
i was happy with a unnameable ( non UBEAUT product ) carnauba wax product , so i'll be easy to convert

discamer : i have never used UBEAUT producks before , but will try
LOL

lubbing5cherubs
17th December 2006, 02:00 PM
gidday mate interesting read your verbal diarheara was well worth a good read. I got lot out of it so verbal diarhea any time you like. BTW love to see your jarrah table with segmented corner sounds gorgeous

like to see your termite nest turned could be interesting. LOL as for the ubeaut gear it really good
Toni
Toni

Yogi Rasi
17th December 2006, 06:19 PM
Same colour - comes in a stick like a crayon but where we live it melts and ends up in a pool on the shelf. I let mine melt into a tin and use it from there. Any auto shop like Repco keep it.
Ah, Drylube. How well I remember. My tools will never rust. My drylube melted in my toolbox and covered all my tools. Get the hint. It melts.
Cheers,
Yogi