PDA

View Full Version : Brissie turners, blanks

mossywun
19th December 2006, 12:54 PM
Merry Christmas all. (Am I allowed to say that, these days?) Sorry, I'm not politically correct, so Merry Everything.

If any Turners on the North side of Brisbane are interested, I occasionally have pieces which I save from trees I have to take down in my day-to-day business. I only keep what I consider to be "special" or different wood. I need to know how to prepare it for turning or it just sits in log form (300mm to1m) in my front yard and SWTSMBO is about to blow a stack. I can't afford a divorce, so give me a yell if you are interested and we can do a deal. I might get you to turn something one day. I do occasionally mill some of the better stuff for future use, but there's plenty left over.

rsser
19th December 2006, 01:08 PM
And a merry festive season to you ;-}

Kind offer; pity I'm too far away to take you up on it.

Dimensions: 10 to 20% longer than the log diameter and if you want to be really kind then seal the ends with paint or PVA glue.

TTIT
19th December 2006, 01:43 PM
A merry one to you too Moz. If you've got any Rose mahogany in the yard, I'll even come down and help cut it up!:D

Toolin Around
19th December 2006, 01:55 PM
If you could provide a list of what you have with rough dimensions and maybe a few piccys.

One thing i used to do with really rare and or valuable wood I harvested in Canada was throw it in a freezer till I knew what to do with it. May not be the best suggestion for someone with a wife breathing down their back. But a great way to preserve those extra special pieces indefinitely

Oh ya and merry christmas to you!

OGYT
19th December 2006, 02:13 PM
Merry Christmas to you, too, Mate.
About the extra timber... how far are you from West Texas? :o
Oh well...............

SawDustSniffer
19th December 2006, 06:38 PM
i go down my local "Green Waste " part of the dump with a chain saw and attack anything new , with getting good blanks out of a log i start by lopping the log to length then splitting the pith , ( down the center of the tree) then stand around looking at it ( asking it , what do you want to become , bowl , vase or saw dust ) make a few square pencil marks and attack it again with the chain saw , coat the end grain straght away ( i use Polystirene and metho with a 4 inch paint brush))and store them under a garbage bag ( with finger holes in it ) in the shade for 2 months untill most the mostures out of it , then remove the bag and let dry naturaly or kiln dry from there

i find the big blanks ( 200x200mm and over ) still split when drying without the holed garbage bag over them for the first few months , ( no pith and sealed ends )

i think the fine splitting of the logs is about 10x deeper than you can see in a green log ,so lopping 4inches off the end of a spit log wont remove the splits even though you cant see them thay are still there ( get to them fresh or store them in water )

could swap some blanks if you like , i've got heaps of African Mahogany blanks that i would like to trade for other timbers

pic1 my recent Blanks i havent Sealed yet , might stick them in 44drums with water for 2 years but have no more drums ,so there just in storage

pic2 my timber stash at the tip ,i bribe the bulldoser bloke a carton every time i want them rearanged

stevesandy
20th December 2006, 07:44 PM
Mossywun:) Seasons greetings to you .Seeing that I actually live in Brisbane [bayside] I would like to help you out with your current conundrum. I know how it gets!:rolleyes:
I"ll contact you in the new year and see what we can come up with.
Thanks Steve;)