PDA

View Full Version : Weed pot 'a la Gil'

TTIT
19th December 2006, 03:06 PM
Gettin' way too quiet round here and I've got nothin' to do at work so....

Wilga crotch with brass powder fill and Gidgee collar. About 100 x 100 (maybe bigger - I don't measure anything!) Pot finished with Danish and sealed inside with some plasticky stuff. Collar finished with Shellawax Glow - about 14mm hole over a 35mm opening in the pot.
That's one more thing off the 'To try' list.:D

DJ’s Timber
19th December 2006, 03:11 PM
Now that is very nice, love the growth lines in the wilga

Slow6
19th December 2006, 03:14 PM
very nice TTIT.. usually not a fan of brass powder, but I think its sits very well in the dark (what is that a gum pocket?)

nicely done endeed :)

rsser
19th December 2006, 03:24 PM
Another fine piece Vern.

Infill's not my cuppa ... I gave up the quest for perfection when I was young; just last week actually ;-}

But I'm still a 'foot' man :p

Doughboy
19th December 2006, 03:27 PM
Yes I like, in fact I like a lot. Well done.

How do you finish the infill when in a piece like this? Must give it a go one day.

Pete

TTIT
19th December 2006, 04:18 PM
... in the dark (what is that a gum pocket?)
When the heartwood in Wilga (and some other similar species) starts to rot, the surrounding layers 'ebonise'. The penners round here love it cos' it can get thick enough for pen blanks.

How do you finish the infill when in a piece like this? It's just sanded and oiled with the rest of the piece - no special treatment - - except don't touch it with an abrasive polish in the lathe or a black stain will smear right around the work.

RufflyRustic
19th December 2006, 04:21 PM
Another impressive and beautiful piece TTIT!

Love it!

Cheers
Wendy

Gil Jones
19th December 2006, 04:49 PM
TTIT, the form is well done, as is the finish, and I like your collar design.
Your brass filler looks rather nice, and I bet it is a pain to polish without contaminating the rest of the piece.
As usual, the Australian wood is beautiful.
Thanks for sharing your magnum opus with us.
(I have been busy turning Christmas trees, and angels as gifts.)

Slow6
19th December 2006, 05:18 PM
When the heartwood in Wilga (and some other similar species) starts to rot, the surrounding layers 'ebonise'.

cheers TTIT.

BernieP
19th December 2006, 05:55 PM
G'Day TTIT

Yet again something different, very nice.

Merry Xmas to all

Cheers
Bernie

dai sensei
19th December 2006, 09:06 PM
Like the form, grain, filler and finish - beautiful.

lubbing5cherubs
19th December 2006, 09:21 PM
awesome TITT very nice
bye
Toni

powderpost
19th December 2006, 10:50 PM
Excellent piece TTIT. Like the shape and collar idea. Prefer those inland hardwoods, they produce some lovely pieces. Like the finish too.
Jim

hughie
20th December 2006, 12:22 AM
One good looking weed pot. I like the brass infill I think it balances it well.
And the shape, well as per usual you have done a fine job.

CameronPotter
17th January 2007, 05:06 PM
Gettin' way too quiet round here and I've got nothin' to do at work so....

Wilga crotch with brass powder fill and Gidgee collar. About 100 x 100 (maybe bigger - I don't measure anything!) Pot finished with Danish and sealed inside with some plasticky stuff. Collar finished with Shellawax Glow - about 14mm hole over a 35mm opening in the pot.
That's one more thing off the 'To try' list.:D

I see you have overcome the brass staining the rest of the wood when polishing...:2tsup:

Now, if you don't mind, share the secret... You probably have on some other thread while I was looking the other way. :- But can you explain it again?

Thanks

Cam

TTIT
19th January 2007, 12:09 AM
I see you have overcome the brass staining the rest of the wood when polishing...:2tsup:

Now, if you don't mind, share the secret... You probably have on some other thread while I was looking the other way. :- But can you explain it again?

Thanks

CamAbout bloody time you got back on here!:; You still over there with the seppo's or ya back in Oz ????

As to the brass stain... Golden rule - Conficious say "absolutely, positively NO EEE when brass fill in piece! (Only use Danish oil).:U

hughie
19th January 2007, 11:00 AM
"absolutely, positively NO EEE when brass fill in piece! (Only use Danish oil).:U[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, from experience :o :C :C :no: :U :U

CameronPotter
20th January 2007, 01:58 PM
About bloody time you got back on here!:; You still over there with the seppo's or ya back in Oz ????

As to the brass stain... Golden rule - Conficious say "absolutely, positively NO EEE when brass fill in piece! (Only use Danish oil).:U

Thanks for the welcome back. I am still over here in Seppoland - without a shed, dammit all... However, I can still live vicariously and I know someone who will let me use their lathe (but it is quite a drive).

As for the NO EEE rule, how do you polish/sand it?

I assume that wet sanding is out (even wet sanding with Danish Oil??)

What about fine grade papers? Are they OK?

Cheers

Cam

Simomatra
20th January 2007, 05:06 PM
Very nice work
once again TTIT

BernieP
20th January 2007, 07:12 PM
G'Day TTIT

Great piece thanks for sharing

Cheers
Bernie

Wayne Blanch
20th January 2007, 08:30 PM
G'day TTIT
Lovely piece yet again,:2tsup: Great work
Wayne

TTIT
21st January 2007, 11:30 PM
As for the NO EEE rule, how do you polish/sand it?

I assume that wet sanding is out (even wet sanding with Danish Oil??)

What about fine grade papers? Are they OK?

Cheers

CamI haven't tried wet sanding it but I think it would cause much the same problem as EEE. I dry sand to 1200 grit 'cos that's all I've got. Once I put a coat of Danish over it, the brass looks pretty good but I will try going to a finer grit 'one day' too see if it comes up any better without 'going black'!

Cliff Rogers
21st January 2007, 11:42 PM
Wet sanding only works on some things, I avoid it 'cos I've botched too many things with it.
It goes wrong when there is a colour variation around the piece, some of the darker colour ends up lodged in the pores of the lighter colour. :(
It can solve some problems but... the colour range must be even around the piece.

CameronPotter
22nd January 2007, 09:59 AM
Sounds like simple dry sanding is the go then...

:2tsup:

Thanks guys, now I will just have to find a lathe to try this out.:-

Cam

Gil Jones
22nd January 2007, 02:34 PM
Hi Cam,
Check your email, I just sent you a list of all the AAW affiliated turning clubs in your general area here in good old seppoland :). Some clubs have a lathe you can use on site, or you may find that you live near a turner/member. Zip on over and turn on my lathe any time, yer only 4,828 clicks away.

CameronPotter
23rd January 2007, 06:01 PM
Hi Cam,
Check your email, I just sent you a list of all the AAW affiliated turning clubs in your general area here in good old seppoland :). Some clubs have a lathe you can use on site, or you may find that you live near a turner/member. Zip on over and turn on my lathe any time, yer only 4,828 clicks away.

Thanks for that. I don't think that I am busy tomorrow night, shall I pop over? :wink:

OGYT
24th January 2007, 11:06 AM
Where's Hobart, Cam? You ain't in Oklahoma, by chance?

Rookie
24th January 2007, 11:21 AM
Where's Hobart, Cam? You ain't in Oklahoma, by chance?

Well Hobart and Oklahoma are probably both in the same century. That's a start. :roll:

Gil Jones
25th January 2007, 02:36 PM
Sure, pop on over.