PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Usa

ken6991
20th December 2006, 10:32 AM
I saw where bdar had posted over on the IAP in our part of the world. I was curious to see what type of woodworking is being done here. I am mostly a pen turner but I have done flat work for years. I will be sure to post some of my work here soon. :)

Cliff Rogers
20th December 2006, 11:03 AM
G'day Ken.

You are most welcome.... have you seen the pen turners' section?
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=69

MurrayD99
20th December 2006, 11:40 AM
Howdy Ken. Nice warm Tuesday in Indiana? I envy you the catching up..... going back through the posts, getting great advice, seeing signs of minor depravity... traces of angst... oodles of humour (humor). I guess you turn your pens out of 2 x 4 :D:D :D :D Down under they start with 4 x 2. Just kidding... Welcome...

Wild Dingo
20th December 2006, 12:28 PM
Howdy Ken. Nice warm Tuesday in Indiana? I envy you the catching up..... going back through the posts, getting great advice, seeing signs of minor depravity... traces of angst... oodles of humour (humor). I guess you turn your pens out of 2 x 4 :D:D :D :D Down under they start with 4 x 2. Just kidding... Welcome...

HEY!! I resemble those remarks!! :mad: ;)

Welcome Ken... dont worry about Murray hes a demented ol goatherder and chook snuffler from the back of beyond whos forgotten his manners bein around goats and herds does that to a fella out back... what he truely meant to say was

Howdy doody Ken mate... bloody cold up there in Indiana aint it tuff shyte mate its hotter than a billy boilin in the 50F shade here... I DONT envy you the catchin up cause we talk a bloody lot and so you will be stuffed for a few years just reading... going through the posts and threads your gonna have no friggin idea what anyones talking about cause you wont unnerstan the lingo... getting but not understanding all the advice some great some shocking some downright bloody confusing but dont worry you wont understand a word thats said anyways... seeing MAJOR signs of utter depravity complete insanity and total madness... you'll find lamblasting beltings massacures and massages goin left right an centre cause were Aussies an we like it like that buggar peace an namby pamby friggin niceness... humor? humour? WHAT BLOODY HUMOR/HUMOUR? Wont find a single stitch of humor you will understand cause were Aussies and we dont do humor/humour... I guess you turn your pens outta of wee sticks of 2x4s eh? Well you wont find any of those toothpicks here!! We belt out pens outta TREES! yep straigh of the forest floor! We go out there in our best shorts, singlets an thongs (flopflups to you) an just pick a bloody great log of Jarrah Swamp gum Ironbark of the floor stick it on the lathe which by the way we carry up there on our backs along with lunch that we tow along behind us in a 8x6 trailer and just turn the sodding pens cause were Aussies and were like that... No ########!!... Your shout :D

Lissen Muzza you get it right when talkin to these seppos ol son! None of that namby pamby horses hoof bein nice to the jokers... just up em like a bungarra heavin over a dead roo! Gerrinnaem!! :D

But serious... it is Your shout mate... No!! your a guest here and as a guest in the time honored/honoured fashion of our country it YOUR BLOODY SHOUT!

I'll have a crownie! Cheers :cool:

oh an yeah enjoy yerself... cause we will ;)

MurrayD99
20th December 2006, 12:47 PM
HEY!! I resemble those remarks!! :mad: ;)

...........I'll have a crownie! Cheers :cool:

oh an yeah enjoy yerself... cause we will ;)

Yeah me too. Thanks.... gluck, gluck, gluck......Mmmmmmmm! Nice cold one too! Sorry, burp, did overdo the politeness a bit.

Yer still there Indiana?:D :D

TTIT
20th December 2006, 01:03 PM
... just up em like a bungarra heavin over a dead roo! Gerrinnaem!! :D

Don't worry if ya' can't follow the Dingo mate!, I dunno what a bloody bungarra is either! Must be some WA thingy:confused: Enjoy the forum and post pics soon - too quiet lately.

Doughboy
20th December 2006, 01:15 PM
Ken welcome to the home of all things wood. I am sure there will be plenty of people to offer you their opinions and thoughts on any subject you query.

Apologies for the Dingo because he has decided to grow that facial fuzz we know as a beard, I think that maybe a couple of rodents have taken up residence in said new growth forrest and I beleive the odour from the latrine just under his top lip has affected his brain happenings.

Aside from all that he is a top bloke just like most folk here and those that are not top blokes are bonzer chicks!

Pete

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th December 2006, 01:41 PM
Don't worry if ya' can't follow the Dingo mate!, I dunno what a bloody bungarra is either! Must be some WA thingy:confused: Enjoy the forum and post pics soon - too quiet lately.

He has me stumped too... couldn't work out whether he's talking about some goanna going the chew or one of Johnny Wulgaru's mates' having a technicolour yawn in his pillow?

Can't say either piece of mental imagery is flattering, come to think of it.

Oh... and welcome to the madhouse Ken. :D

hughie
20th December 2006, 01:45 PM
Hi Ken,

Welcome, dont worry about the strange variation of english here, theres a few of your compatriots who will translate :D Its all done in good humor.

ticklingmedusa
20th December 2006, 02:08 PM
Hey Ken,
the collective knowledge here is huge.
You can google the keyword "strine" and find a site which translates the Aussiespeak to Americanese. I'm a seppo californicator, found this place about a year ago. I dont post a lot but I read here all the time.
Welcome to one of the best turning websites on the planet. :cool:
Technicolor yawn! I gotta remember that one.
tm

lubbing5cherubs
20th December 2006, 02:43 PM
Hi Ken, I am here too. I am aussie_chick. Welcome here to find the other pen turners come here to this link
http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69
bye Toni

rsser
20th December 2006, 04:15 PM
And TM a technicolour yawn always comes with carrots ;-}

Welcome Ken. What kind of woodturning do we do over here? Butchery, sheer butchery. Floors covered in chips chunks and the odd bit of tripe.

macca2
20th December 2006, 05:11 PM
Bungarra.............bloody great goanna. About 6 foot long and runs like the wind.
If yer stand still he will run right up yer back and claw great chunks outa yer on the way,and frighten the daylights outa yer.

I think thats what happened to Dingo as a kid.

Sprog
20th December 2006, 08:25 PM
And TM a technicolour yawn always comes with carrots

And sweet corn, even if you can't remember eating sweet corn :D :D

SawDustSniffer
20th December 2006, 10:08 PM
welcome ken
dont worry about the dingo ,he just gets a bout of verble diareia every time a seppo joins the room , dont worry he wont eat your kids ,hes quite tame for a "Sand Gropper"
4x2 , thats a bit small , ive heard most pen turners use 14x14 to start with
oh nearly forgot "IT'S YOUR SHOUT "
might have a "GOLD plated BARBED WIRE" (qld crap xxxx)
or a "Darwin Stubble" ,(that'll go down better )

MurrayD99
21st December 2006, 06:32 AM
And TM a technicolour yawn always comes with carrots ;-}

Welcome Ken. What kind of woodturning do we do over here? Butchery, sheer butchery. Floors covered in chips chunks and the odd bit of tripe.

Yes indeed. A friend of mine maintained there was always a little man hovering around over your shoulder with a bag of sliced carrots, waiting to throw them into the mess.... You could never see him, or maybe remember him, but he is always not far away.

It occurs to me, Ken is probably running a mile after this deluge of weirdness..... He probably hoped to find people with lathes and piles of unusual and wonderful wood.... Instead.......... Jeez! Ken, if you need counselling, we can arrange it.

ciscokid
21st December 2006, 09:40 AM
..... an just pick a bloody great log of Jarrah Swamp gum Ironbark of the floor stick it on the lathe which by the way we carry up there on our backs.....

You all use lathes???!!!:eek: [snicker] :) Only wee children use lathes here in the States! And that's just because they haven't got their adult teeth yet. No mate, we just start chewing the log like beavers while spinning it with our feet.

.....along with lunch that we tow along behind us in a 8x6 trailer.....

LUNCH!!! You get friggin' lunch?! We have to catch and kill our lunch with our bare hands if we want to eat. Sounds like you all got it a bit soft down under if you ask me.

Your shout, Dingo. :p

echnidna
21st December 2006, 11:03 AM
and in the other corner .....

ken6991
21st December 2006, 12:46 PM
Counseling who needs counseling. Everything is quite alright.:D

masoth
21st December 2006, 01:12 PM
....... and don't mistake a K 1 W 1 for an Aussie or there's likely to be trouble. You can tell the difference by the way they speak funny - look back a bit at a post by Murray; He reckons drinking sounds are "gluck, gluck, gluck" but we know it's actually glug, glug. glug.

soth

er, welcome, too.

MurrayD99
21st December 2006, 01:24 PM
Counseling who needs counseling. Everything is quite alright.:D

I think that's a polite way of saying "I'll find my own counsellor if I need one"! Dingo, sorry mate, he's OK for now.... don't book a flight to Indiana just yet. :D

G'luck then.... glug, glug.......

Hickory
21st December 2006, 03:33 PM
Howdy Hoosier.... we here in KY state are happy to so some more international responses. Aussies don't know how lucky they are with the beautiful woods they have at their disposal. We have some beauties as well but their colors of woods makes me drool.

Where in Indy are you? I are in N KY ...

SawDustSniffer
21st December 2006, 06:43 PM
just remember to spell "color " as "colour " and use millimeters / meters for mesurments not inches ,feet or yards and will avoid the rath of all members who have to convert measurments before thay make sence of them

(tip)pen blanks are 14x14mm ( 4x2mm is a toothpic)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st December 2006, 06:58 PM
just remember to spell "color " as "colour " and use millimeters / meters for mesurments not inches ,feet or yards and will avoid the rath of all members who have to convert measurments before thay make sence of them

In other words, the post-60's generation. :rolleyes: Most of my gen are quite fluent in impetric (or should that be metrerial?) measurements.

(tip)pen blanks are 14x14mm ( 4x2mm is a toothpic)

? Not in my shop. There's three simple requirements here:
too small to turn anything else from it large enough to rattle when the DC slurps it down the ductwork can I drill a hole in it?
Measurements have nothing to do with it... :D

hughie
22nd December 2006, 12:32 AM
In other words, the post-60's generation. :rolleyes: Most of my gen are quite fluent in impetric (or should that be metrerial?) measurements.

Wood whisperer

Ho Ho now your showing your age.......:D

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/image.php?u=7130&dateline=1159697036 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/member.php?u=7130)

TTIT
22nd December 2006, 01:20 AM
In other words, the post-60's generation. :rolleyes: Most of my gen are quite fluent in impetric (or should that be metrerial?) measurements.Got that right! I was still on the tit the first time you saw daylight Skew and I'm comfy with both systems BUT, once you've tried to divide 5 and 19/32" into 9 equal parts, why would anyone stick with imperial?????:eek:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd December 2006, 08:00 AM
Ho Ho now your showing your age.......:D
[...]

Not quite. I'm 167.9 "metric" years. :D

That many posts? :eek: I really should get a life...