PDA

View Full Version : Elm burl bowl

Doc Ron
21st December 2006, 04:26 AM
Two views of an elm burl bowl just completed. One of my first times working with burl. Two voids, filled the outside with coffee grounds, inside with brass powder. Size is 12.5 x 5 cm (4.75 x 2 inches). Finish is three coats Danish oils, two of wiping poly (homemade, 50 -50 gloss poly and mineral spirits) buffed with the Beall system - tripoli, white diamond, carnuba wax. In life, the wavy pattern is almost three dimensional, lots of depth. I am reasonably pleased:D

Slow6
21st December 2006, 10:05 AM
thats a nice chunk of wood Ron. you've done well.

every day I walk past an elm with a burl the size of a small honda hanging off the trunk.

its in a busy street tho :( I did think about chaining it to the back of my ute and doing a runner.. but knowing my luck my bumper would be found chained to the tree next morning along with the number plate:o

mmmm... it is a very nice bowl tho.

SawDustSniffer
21st December 2006, 10:45 AM
nice bowl , well done ,
how big is it ? (in mm)

if burls are from bactirea under the trees bark ,thay are not good for the health of the tree ,so we sould spread the word that Burl's are bad for trees and should be removed ,lol , then charge them to remove them

Doc Ron
21st December 2006, 12:56 PM
nice bowl , well done ,
how big is it ? (in mm)

That would be 125 x 50 (10 mm per cm)
Thanks for the comments

rsser
21st December 2006, 02:59 PM
Lovely figure Ron.

The tech term for changing light in the grain as you rotate the bowl is chatoyance .... just something to throw into your next conversation about the bowl ;-} (Something French to do with cats, as in cats eyes on the road). But you prob knew that already so I'll shut up.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st December 2006, 05:25 PM
I've got to try and remember the trick of using coffee grounds. I've heard of it several times, but never remember it when it counts. On the other hand, I do remember brass powder, which is frustrating 'cos I don't have any. :o

Who'd have thought Elm could be that chatoyant, burl or otherwise? Nice. Very nice indeed.

The tech term for changing light in the grain as you rotate the bowl is chatoyance .... just something to throw into your next conversation about the bowl ;-}

Looks like I've found my forum stand-in. Now I can rest easy when I go on hols... ;):D

rsser
21st December 2006, 06:11 PM
No way am I stepping up to your plate Skew. You've gotta stay at the keyboard while I go fanging through the smoke ;-}

BernieP
21st December 2006, 07:20 PM
G'Day Ron

Nice wood and bowl

Cheers
Bernie

Doughboy
21st December 2006, 09:19 PM
Bloomin' nice bowl! It looks great with all the grain and that chatoyie thing also.

Pete

hughie
22nd December 2006, 12:26 AM
Ron ,
The bowl is good, the figure is good, chatoyance and all. Good to see some of your work :)

TTIT
22nd December 2006, 12:46 AM
Nice bit of wood Ron.:) Not what you normally expect from a burl.

TEEJAY
22nd December 2006, 06:54 AM
Yeah, great chatty stuff :)