PDA

View Full Version : All fixed up and no where to go

Hickory
23rd December 2006, 12:21 PM
Well I got the Lathe cabinet put together. A while back I bought on E-bay a wood lathe went cheap and it was located in the same town as my niece, so I figured I could get her husband to fetch it for me and bring it with them on their next visit. I bought it for $51, they picked it up and brought it before Thanksgiving.

I had already considered a new bench for the lathe and decided to git it a go. Mustering scrap, Pallets, and cutoffs I put together this cabinet. (Please ignore the mess on the counter behind the lathe as my tidyness is in Flux)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/P1000664a.jpg

Not a great lathe but will accept all kinds of goodies. The drawers on the left are not very deep and they contain the assortment of lathe tools. The top 5 are full and sorted by Gouges, scrapers, skews, & specialtys. (38 plus a large assortment of extra chisels that need new handles)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/P1000669.jpg

The cabinet on the right houses the 1" X 30" belt sander I often use to tune up the edges, and a small grinder.

Two major hurdles before I can have fun... Holiday season SWMBO has "requested" that I not make any dust till aft the festivities. Last month we had a water heater burst and flooded the basement, I cleaned all (I thought) but when I gathered my lathe tools from their different hiding places I found that some had gotten wet and left to their own demise, so I need to clean them and of course sharpen all.

Yes it is on Casters as I have a small Dust Bowl from which I work so everything has to be rolled about. Before it was finished I had already roughed in a few cuts with chunks of wood loaded off ballance etc and little or no vibration is apparent. The sucker is heavy! With the completed assembly and the host of tools and goodies, it is quite stable. As I have mentioned before, if you keep the footprint larger than the working area then it will stablize itself.

Poly finish, Walnut handles I made to match other cabinets in my dust bowl.

Still need to get some of the rubber drawer liners so the chisels don't rattle around when you open & close the drawers.

Thanks for looking and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Cliff Rogers
23rd December 2006, 01:02 PM
Nice recycle job.

DJ’s Timber
23rd December 2006, 01:08 PM
Looks great

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd December 2006, 04:23 PM
For scraps, that's brilliant! :)

Are the front casters "lockables?" It can be frustrating to have the lathe roll away from the tool when you apply a bit of pressure to it. Also, I'm not a great fan of drawers under a lathe for two reasons: they tend to be dust & shavings traps with an unbalanced load it can be very distracting to get be whacked in the kneecap/shin as a drawer vibrates open. DAMHIKT. :o

All easily fixed, of course and you may not find any of the above to be a problem but as yer haven't been allowed to use it yet (surely that constitutes "cruel and unusual punishment?") I thought I'd point out some things to keep an eye on at first.

Brilliant job just the same and I'd be happy to find it at the foot of my chrissy tree. ;)

journeyman Mick
23rd December 2006, 05:57 PM
..................(Please ignore the mess on the counter behind the lathe as my tidyness is in Flux).....................................

Ha ha!:D I'll have to remember that excuse... "I'm not messy, it's just that my tidiness is in flux":p

Mick

BernieP
23rd December 2006, 06:57 PM
G'Day Hickory

Fine looking base for your lathe, I need to make something like that, would keep my things in less of a flux Have a great Christmas and thanks for the pics

Cheers
Bernie

tashammer
23rd December 2006, 10:16 PM
Good one Hickory, for $51 it sure is better than a poke in the eye with a bent stick, plus the triffic recycling of pallets. You are a winner all the way round me old son.

Merry Niblicks and a sharpened tool here

Tas

hughie
23rd December 2006, 11:21 PM
Yes it is on Casters as I have a small Dust Bowl from which I work so everything has to be rolled about

Very nice piece of flat work. Yes and I would not be too upset if it was under my Chrissy tree as well.

Castors, yep know the problem well, got my soap drum on wheels, my turning bench and will be putting the dust collector on wheels as well.

TTIT
24th December 2006, 12:42 AM
Top pickup for $51 Hickory - can't go wrong at that price.
Everything I've got is on castors too but I set most of them up so the castors can be raised by a one lever action to leave the stand on posts, particularly the lathe.
Nice job on the stand by the way - saw a plan for a similar setup recently where they built a cavity into each end to be filled with sand to absorb vibration but it sounds like you've got enough mass already.

rsser
24th December 2006, 01:03 PM
btw, TTIT, there's just been a thread in the Yahoo Stubby Group on mounting the S750 on wheels ;-}

scooter
25th December 2006, 12:57 AM
TTIT, any chance of pics &/or a thread on your castor setup to prompt some discussion of different ideas?

I have everything on castors also, but have to make a new workbench as well as my lathe mobile, and I'm looking for ideas.

Cheers..................Sean

TTIT
25th December 2006, 12:57 AM
btw, TTIT, there's just been a thread in the Yahoo Stubby Group on mounting the S750 on wheels ;-}Thanks for that Ern. I'll have to join up and have a look. I'm getting the 750 with Enzo's stand which I hope I'll be able to modify for mobility without too much trouble.

TTIT
25th December 2006, 01:10 AM
TTIT, any chance of pics &/or a thread on your castor setup to prompt some discussion of different ideas?
I'll get some pics of the lathe and tablesaw setups tomorrow and start a thread with 'em. I posted the bandsaw setup (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=323967&postcount=44) a while back.

Or maybe the day after - just realised I'll be too bloated and drunk to worry about it tomorrow!

TTIT
28th December 2006, 12:48 AM
Started the thread here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=433377&posted=1#post433377). :D

Hickory
28th December 2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the kind words, As for the Casters..... I have all my machines on casters (excect the BS) and have yet to need locking or stopping casters as the weight seems to hold them secure. also with my small shop area, they have little place to go.

I have been looking for those gismos that used to be on every school classroom door (that the Fire Marshal made them take off) that you could step on and it slammed down to the floor, locking the door in place.
I checked with my school Maintance guys (from olden days) and they said all went to the dumpster. Can't find in a catalog anyplace. I figured they would make good stops should I need them, but I don't .

ss_11000
28th December 2006, 06:15 PM
cool. well done hickory:)

scooter
28th December 2006, 08:22 PM
Started the thread here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=433377&posted=1#post433377). :D

Goodonya, thanks mate :)

joe greiner
31st December 2006, 01:09 AM
I have been looking for those gismos that used to be on every school classroom door (that the Fire Marshal made them take off) that you could step on and it slammed down to the floor, locking the door in place.
I checked with my school Maintance guys (from olden days) and they said all went to the dumpster. Can't find in a catalog anyplace. I figured they would make good stops should I need them, but I don't .

Are these the gismos you're looking for?

http://www.mcmaster.com/
From "Hardware" select "Door Holders and Bumpers."
Near bottom of page 2759, "Plunger-style door holder."

I somewhat doubt they'd provide enough clamping force, though.

Joe

Hickory
31st December 2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks Joe, That is exactly what I was talking about. Turns out that I probably won't need any as I was turning a Natural edged bowl thursday and it stood right there and let me lean on it and everything. (of course my dust Bowl is so tiny that most of the time it is up against something else anyway. Thanks for looking it up for me. I'll keep them in mind should I need them. I think the larger ones will hold most anything from rolling as it did the doors before the Fire Marshal decided they were too risky & wanted all doors closed all the time.

Just lined the drawers with some rubber toolbox liner pads and it makes a world of difference with rattling of chisels when you open and close drawers.

As far as chips gathering in the drawers, I turned some Thursday and found none in them when I put the liners in tonight. So, if I am dillagent in keeping them closed during the turning, I think they will stay clean.

rsser
31st December 2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks for that Ern. I'll have to join up and have a look. I'm getting the 750 with Enzo's stand which I hope I'll be able to modify for mobility without too much trouble.

Sounds like the stand the US buyers get has each leg height adjustable; not sure whether it's the same here or from Enzo.

Yahoo Stubby group is very US oriented; posts are emailed and archived and the threads often wander off topic so searching is needed.

Post a pic when you get your baby.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st December 2006, 05:12 PM
Turns out that I probably won't need any as I was turning a Natural edged bowl thursday and it stood right there and let me lean on it and everything.
[snip]
As far as chips gathering in the drawers, I turned some Thursday and found none in them when I put the liners in tonight. So, if I am dillagent in keeping them closed during the turning, I think they will stay clean.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say. :) Good to hear that you finally got a chance to use it and that there were no problems.

Long may it keep your lathe off the floor. :2tsup:

rsser
31st December 2006, 05:43 PM
... so why do I find chips on the pillow in the morning? :-

Simomatra
31st December 2006, 06:17 PM
Nice find Hicory

I must be in a stae of flux all the time by the look of yours

Hickory
1st January 2007, 10:53 AM
... so why do I find chips on the pillow in the morning? :-

I was referring to the cabinet drawers.... My (personal) drawers are full of chips as we speak. :( Did some more turning on this wet and gloomy last day of theis year. I filled my drawers, my socks, & my hollow leg with chips (as usual) SWMBO called me to dinner and made me clean up & change clothes before I could sit at the table with her. Now she is after me to sweep :o Maybe Next year :2tsup:

Forgot to buy some Champagne for this evening at Midnight. :doh: Sunday here and we got them Blue Laws that forbid rebelrousing hellbending on Sunday so I guess I have to pour some salt in beer to make a bubblie toast. :C

Happy New Year to you Blokes & Blokettes.... May the next one be better than the last.

rsser
1st January 2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks Hickory, and to you too.

ps try carb soda in white wine; clink your glasses and then pour it down the sink ;-}