PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Salt & Pepper Grinders

DJ’s Timber
23rd December 2006, 10:37 PM
I got my Mum for the Kris Kringle gift this year.

For as long as I can remember she has said that she can never get a decent salt & pepper grinder.

So I purchase some Crushgrind mechanisms from Jim at CWS after hearing and seeing some favourable reveiws on them and turned up a matching pair out of some Walnut that I have had stashed away for awhile.

They are 310mm high and just a tad over 60mm in diameter. I also stamped the corresponding letter for each one on top for ease of id

Gumby
23rd December 2006, 10:47 PM
very nice, what a lucky Mum. :D

The design is somewhat interesting, they look like large.....oh never mind.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd December 2006, 10:59 PM
Love the figuring and they're a pretty good match. :) What finish? Did you seal the inside as well? Just the usual letter punches for the stamps?

Questions, questions and more questions... :D

DJ’s Timber
23rd December 2006, 11:09 PM
Love the figuring and they're a pretty good match. :) What finish? Did you seal the inside as well? Just the usual letter punches for the stamps?

Questions, questions and more questions... :D

The finish is in this order EEE, Shellawax, EEE, Trad Wax.

As for the inside I just use Trad wax on the lips, between the top and bottom pieces and left the main bore alone. It's too bloody hard to in there and I also thought it would be better so that any finish won't contaminate the salt & pepper.

Normal letter punches used. After sanding the tops, I put the punch in the drill chuck and just wound the tailstock up till I had the right depth.

ciscokid
23rd December 2006, 11:19 PM
Very nice walnut. The third photo really shows the figuring. I like the finish too.

Wood Borer
24th December 2006, 12:17 AM
Your mother will be very happy this Christmas - nice work.

TTIT
24th December 2006, 12:47 AM
The design is somewhat interesting, they look like large.....oh never mind.:D
I'm not sayin' a word!!

Nice job DJ :D - bet your Mum will be stoked with 'em.

Ruddy
24th December 2006, 09:11 AM
They really do look great. I love that grain in the walnut...

bikerboy
24th December 2006, 09:58 AM
I'm not sayin' a word!!

Nice job DJ :D - bet your Mum will be stoked with 'em.

The design is somewhat interesting, they look like large.....oh never mind
just try not to bash the bishop to much,:o .......................
but, they do look good ow boy, well done,,,,

BernieP
24th December 2006, 07:41 PM
G'Day DJ

Very nice and good idea with the stamps have a good one

Cheers
Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th December 2006, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I like the idea of the stamps. In the past I've always inlaid small disks of Corian, "Salt'n'Pepper" for pepper & "Arctic White" for salt so they can be ID'd at a quick glance, but the stamps look good and, somehow, more professional.

I wonder whether it'd be practical to infill them with coloured epoxy as well? Or would it be prone to fall out? Hmmm... this calls for some experimentation.

DJ’s Timber
26th December 2006, 01:53 PM
My mum absolutly loves the grinders and they were filled and used for the Christmas dinner. They were received with lots of ooohs and aaahhs.

Have received some orders to make up a few more from some of the relos.

I must say that the Crushgrind mechanism works beautifully. They are without a doubt the smoothest and best that I have ever used. Adjustment is easy and quick to do and best of all is that they stay on that setting unlike they other ones which adjust from the top.

Simomatra
26th December 2006, 02:01 PM
Very Nice your mum will be pleased

Nice feature in the wallnut a nice matching pair.

Great idea with the stamps

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th December 2006, 05:11 PM
My mum absolutly loves the grinders and they were filled and used for the Christmas dinner. They were received with lots of ooohs and aaahhs.

Have received some orders to make up a few more from some of the relos.

What better compliment could you ask? :D

I must say that the Crushgrind mechanism works beautifully. They are without a doubt the smoothest and best that I have ever used. Adjustment is easy and quick to do and best of all is that they stay on that setting unlike they other ones which adjust from the top.

The only complaint I've heard against them was from a couple of bachelor mechanics who shared a flat, a bit like the "Odd Couple." :rolleyes: The complaint? "He keeps getting grease off his fingers in the bottom!" :eek: