PDA

View Full Version : Mechanisms for extra large peppermills...wheredyageddit?

Hardenfast
24th December 2006, 09:04 PM
We were having a nice meal in a fairly ordinary restaurant in Fiji a little while back. When asked would I like some cracked pepper I agreed that would be nice.
Sure enough, my helpful little waiter came scurrying back with the peppermill which was (no exageration!) all of 1.000m long. He was almost at full stretch to operate the thing, and had no idea how much he was actually getting on the plate.
I thought at the time it was quite amusing and something of a novelty, but now I'm thinking I want one at home. I don't know why - I just do.
My question is (yes... I always seem to have a question) - where do you get the mechanisms for these things. I'm assuming it was probably a standard mechanism which had had the shaft extended, but maybe you guys (n gals) know better?

macca2
24th December 2006, 09:09 PM
Some time back someone on this BB was making a set of large peppermills.
Youi might find it with a search
Macca

fxst
24th December 2006, 09:37 PM
Try Jim Carolls site I think he has the extendable ones
Pete

Studley 2436
24th December 2006, 10:31 PM
The mechanism can be the normal one you just need a shaft that goes to the top, Could do that just with a threaded sleeve and screw an extra length in to get it up the last 9500mm!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :) :) :) :) :eek:

Good luck with that

Of course getting a metre of timber you can turn as well

Ambitious

Studley

DJ’s Timber
24th December 2006, 11:30 PM
If you use the Crushgrind mechanism which are available from Jim at CWS, you don't need to extend the shaft.

You can just make the the bottom bit as normal with the knob bit that you turn being longer to suit.

That's the beauty of the Crushgrind mech because the adjustment for course or fine is in the bottom bit, so you don't need the shaft extending all the way to the top.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th December 2006, 11:37 PM
The main problem with one made that way, DJ, is that the top end wouldn't be hollowed so it'd be a damned sight heavier than the other type.

However, I can't help but wonder how a 1m long mill with a crushgrind at each end would look. Salt & Pepper both in the same mill... :D

DJ’s Timber
24th December 2006, 11:45 PM
The main problem with one made that way, DJ, is that the top end wouldn't be hollowed so it'd be a damned sight heavier than the other type.

However, I can't help but wonder how a 1m long mill with a crushgrind at each end would look. Salt & Pepper both in the same mill... :D

You could still hollow out the top as the fitting still has to press into a 22mm hole, but I would hate to have to drill out the hole for the majority of the lenght :eek: , it would be a bugger to do :( .

As for a crushgrind at each end, mmmnnnn you have got me thinking now :rolleyes: . I have to order some more mech's as I have a few orders to fill out so I just might order a few more as well ;) .

dai sensei
25th December 2006, 10:00 AM
I started a thread a while back here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=27298&highlight=long+pepper) for my 1m long grinders. I am yet to finish it, only got as far as rough turning the shape, but then decided I needed a center support before I went any further. I designed my own center support, but I still haven't made it yet :o

Apart from using a crushgrind system with the entire top end as the twist mechanism, you can't buy a standard mechanism long enough. I wanted to twist the top as usual, so bought the longest crushgrind system I could find, then I intended to cut and extended the shaft.

One day I will finish it, just have to find the time, so many other things have priority at the moment :o .

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th December 2006, 04:07 PM
A std. mech can be extended with a 4mm rod, drilled & tapped at one end to fit on the short shaft and tapped at the other to take the knurled nut. The hardest part of making a "true" 1m mill is boring the hole.

It doesn't take much to make a centre-steady, here's a pic of one I knocked up in about an hour using shed scraps. The smaller wheels go on when I'm tiurning small dia items. :)

Jim Carroll
25th December 2006, 04:53 PM
The crush grinds are now available witha 500mm rod.

dai sensei
25th December 2006, 08:47 PM
The crush grinds are now available witha 500mm rod.

As a matter of interest Jim, what is the rod made from?

A std. mech can be extended with a 4mm rod, drilled & tapped at one end to fit on the short shaft and tapped at the other to take the knurled nut. The hardest part of making a "true" 1m mill is boring the hole.

It doesn't take much to make a centre-steady, here's a pic of one I knocked up in about an hour using shed scraps. The smaller wheels go on when I'm tiurning small dia items. :)

Not sure if a 4mm rod would have the torsional capacity (ie when you twist the top the shaft twists without turning the mechanism), can only try and see what happens.

I made mine in sections, drilling beforehand from both ends, then joined them up before turning. I have a 300mm drill bit, with a 300mm extension.

Your center steady looks similar to what I was thinking about. I got my skate wheels ages ago, just have to make it.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th December 2006, 09:05 PM
Not sure if a 4mm rod would have the torsional capacity (ie when you twist the top the shaft twists without turning the mechanism), can only try and see what happens.

True. I wouldn't make it of aluminium stock, that's for sure. :D

Your center steady looks similar to what I was thinking about. I got my skate wheels ages ago, just have to make it.

That one's only rough'n'ready, before then I just used a similar ring with eye-hooks and string, to make a "cat's cradle" about the turned item.

But I had a job that needed to be held more securely so, having a need, I whipped that up fairly quickly. It has a few mistakes in it, eg. you can see a 2nd set of slots for the "arms"... they were the original slots until I realised my coach-bolts were too short & the big wheels wouldn't fit in the inside dia. :o So I cut the current slots into the face and chiselled out a layer of ply.

Still, it works well and has held a few projects since. One day I'll make a "proper" one, probably long after this one breaks, when I 'have the need" again. ;)

col2
26th December 2006, 10:56 PM
Hi Hardenfast et al

I saw some salt/pepper mill sets about the size you describe at the Newcastle Craft and Wood Show a few years ago - a turner from the Hunter Woodturners group I think. He made the bodies from two longitudinal halves with a routed groove in each half, then glued together and turned. I didn't see one taken apart, but he explained that the mechanism was a standard Danish one with the 17" shaft, but he cut the shaft and extended it with a length of aluminium tube crimped onto the standard square spindle at each end. He assured me they worked - he had several sets on display.

Wonder how many kg of pepper corns a mill that size would hold?

cheers, Col