PDA

View Full Version : Black wood box

lubbing5cherubs
24th December 2006, 11:16 PM
Hi I have done another box today. Very Nice fit of the lid. Actually the lid not tight just makes a suction. So I am happy.
bye Toni
I apologise for how small the photo is here it off my phone. The sooner my camera gets back the better. I included the larger photo it not real good for seeing the details but it might be better on sore eyes..LOL
What ya reckon for number 3 box??
TOni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th December 2006, 11:25 PM
Uhoh. Time for me to find something else to do before I get shown up! ;)

Hi I have done another box today. Very Nice fit of the lid. Actually the lid not tight just makes a suction. So I am happy.

That's exactly tight enough. :) Suction fit will keep it shut, any tighter and if the wood swells (eg. from high humidity) or warps even the slightest, then either the lid will jam or be impossible to put back in.

Hope your camera comes home soon...

DJ’s Timber
24th December 2006, 11:37 PM
Looking good Toni, wonder what you will come up with next.

TTIT
25th December 2006, 12:06 AM
What :eek:!!!! You did this while there's still pen kits in the box :eek::eek::eek:!!!!!! No 20 minute fix's with this stuff Toni. Good onya ;) Excellent job.:)

lubbing5cherubs
25th December 2006, 12:40 AM
I do have a kit but not turning square enough for pens but I think I have narrowed it down to mandrel. Even though I bought a newie I think it still bent. There nothing left with the lathe so as soon as I can afford I will be back at pens...LOL
bye Toni

Doc Ron
25th December 2006, 01:34 AM
Looks good Toni. Getting the suction fit is hard to do. I manage maybe 50% of the time.

For the off center pens, make sure that the MT in the headstock is clean. A speck of schmutz there can throw off the mandrell. DAMHIKT.
Ron

lubbing5cherubs
25th December 2006, 01:49 AM
I have done that and done the bearings I do think it is the mandrel
bye Toni

lubbing5cherubs
27th December 2006, 01:13 PM
here you go got a larger photo. Hope it better still phone photo though
bye Toni

ss_11000
27th December 2006, 03:32 PM
looks good toni. i'm gonna try my first very soon, ( i get my chuck tommorrow:yeah: :cool: )

cheers

Wayne Blanch
27th December 2006, 06:01 PM
A great result Toni you should be proud. I love it when I manage to get a suction fit on boxes. Well done:brava

lubbing5cherubs
27th December 2006, 06:03 PM
( i get my chuck tommorrow:yeah: :cool: )

cheers

that long awaited chuck is finally coming visting you hey??
good on ya
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th December 2006, 08:02 PM
Nuch better photo, Toni. I can see that it is blackwood in this one. :)

Good stuff Stirlo, it'll make things a lot more interesting for ya. But I'm pretty sure you've already figured out some ways that you can do things without a chuck... (mother of necessity and all that. ;)) Don't go and forget about them now that you have a chuck! There'll be times when they'll be handy to know. Trust me. :p

ss_11000
27th December 2006, 08:35 PM
Good stuff Stirlo, it'll make things a lot more interesting for ya. But I'm pretty sure you've already figured out some ways that you can do things without a chuck... (mother of necessity and all that. ;)) Don't go and forget about them now that you have a chuck! There'll be times when they'll be handy to know. Trust me. :p
i'll still keep em in mind, but now i can turn goblets etc:yeah: ( i'm excited bout that cos they look so cool )

Simomatra
28th December 2006, 09:27 AM
Very nice Toni

Love the blackwood nice fit too

OGYT
28th December 2006, 01:07 PM
Well done, Toni.
Looks good!

ticklingmedusa
28th December 2006, 02:30 PM
nice job, i wish i could get the tight fit cover every time
tm