PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted - chisels and block planes

Driver
19th May 2003, 08:40 PM
G'day all

The family Treasurer has grudgingly given me permission to buy a couple of new toys (whoops!) tools and I'd be grateful for your advice.

I want to get hold of a couple of good paring chisels (small sizes - 6mm and less) and a block plane. Timbecon and Carba-Tec seem to have a wide range. Can anyone offer advice on which particular brands to go for?

The Veritas block plane looks pretty good - any comments?

Driver

DonN
19th May 2003, 10:07 PM
Go to a Sunday Market, you should be able to find good ones cheap there.

DonN

Geoff Egan
19th May 2003, 10:54 PM
Hi Driver
Ebay is another place to look, i picked up an old sargent 5206 block plane for $19.00 inc. postage, an old one one but still works well, and a stanley 220 for $69.00 inc. postage in new condition. There is usually an assortment of chisels there as well.
Geoff

derekcohen
20th May 2003, 03:31 AM
Driver

My recommendation goes to the bronze LN 102. This is one of my favourite planes. Small but substantial. Beautifully made. Almost too pretty to use! Not too pricey. I paid $200 for mine from Timbercon a few years ago (yes, I know you can pick up cheaper block planes, but this one is special). It will last a lifetime and you will not outgrow it. This is a plane that will slice end grain with the best.

For paring chisels, I really enjoys using my Japanese Iyoroi. They hold an edge wonderfully. They are not the best for heavy work, though, since their metal is hard and a little brittle for those conditions (in other words, cut dovetails with them, but don't try and dig out mortices). I love their balance and sensual looks (this is getting me hot and bothered!).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Driver
25th May 2003, 02:34 PM
Sorry it's taken me a little while to reply. The need to earn a living sometimes interferes with the important things in life! Thanks for the advice fellas - it's much appreciated.

Derek, I'll have a hard look at the LN plane. I had been thinking about Japanese chisels so now I'll look a little closer.

Driver.

soundman
28th May 2003, 07:41 PM
It all depends on what you expect from the tools.

If you can get good old chisels the steel in them is great. I have some records & stanleys but thy are very soft compared to those I inherited from my father. They sure are fast to sharpen but they dull quickly.

As for the block plane.
This might sound nasty but.
I have a performer cast block plane that I baught from Kmart for less than 20 dollars I am stunned how well it came up after a tune.
But I don't expect much of it , just for easing edges & little clean ups But it dont owe me a thing.
Curious to see the shelf for it at my local store fills & empties regularly so they must sell.

John Saxton
28th May 2003, 08:49 PM
G'day Driver,if you're considering Japanese chisels here are a few outlets for yoy to check out:-

http://www.dick-gmbh.de
www.mik.com.au
www.carbatec.com.au

But be careful what you order one set of those japanese chisels cost in the vicinity of $6000 !

These sites will also offer up a range of block planes etc ...for your electronic media inspection.

Cheers:) good luck in your search

Driver
29th May 2003, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all the advice and comments, fellas - it's much appreciated.

I'll let you know how I go!

Driver

Wayne Davy
29th May 2003, 02:40 PM
Make sure you post a Pic of the $6000 Jap. chisel when you buy it :D

Driver
30th May 2003, 12:43 AM
Wayne

Read the start of this thread - noting the comment about the family Treasurer and the word "grudgingly". I have a fair idea of where the $6000 chisel would be inserted - not a comforting thought!

Driver

Iain
30th May 2003, 08:36 AM
Allow me to sharpen it for you first, it would cause less damage:D
I think my lesser half would probably do the same.

Wayne Davy
30th May 2003, 10:43 AM
Driver,

I just re-read your initial post and did not find anything about your SHMBO limiting your expenditure ;)

However, my SHMBO would not be impressed (read 'have me disemboweled over a slow fire) if I turned up with a $6000 chisel. :mad: These women just don't understand. :rolleyes:

Iain,

lesser half - I hope she does not read these forums :D

Dean
30th May 2003, 11:41 AM
$6000 for a chisel.. Now if you paid that much for one, I'd be worried about your mental state :)

DaveInOz
30th May 2003, 11:50 AM
okay fellas, you obviously need help.
Now this is not advice I just give out willy nilly, so sit up straight and pay attention.

In the event you need an new toy or she is complaining about time spent in the shed the initial method is the same.
Follow her around the house
now it is not enough to just follow her, you need to get in her way and under her feet. If all you want is shed time this will be enough, she will soon send you to the shed, and you can grudgingly shuffle off.
If you need new toys then when she tells you to do something else, look bored, shrug, and tell her you just don't feel like it. She will then (as mentioed befor) say , why don't you go and play in the shed?. Now pay attention this is important, you must appear disinterested, sigh perhaps, and say 'I suppose I could, but there isn't anything in there to get me excited enough to bother, I might just hang around with you'
At this point you can brighten up slightly, 'you know there is that XXXXX that I've been looking at, I could pop down and pick that up, that would keep me busy for days'
Depending on the quality of your ground work you should now get at least a 'whatever' or even a 'good idea, take the kids'.

This is a closely guarded secret told to me by my 3.5 and 2 year old kids, use it sparingly, or you'll get jobs not tools.
Now close your eyes and repeat the following mantra
" Huuuuuuuunnnny, can I watch, ooohhhhmmmm"

Wayne Davy
30th May 2003, 11:56 AM
Dean,

Actually, so would I...... but if I was crazy enough to buy one I would probably believe I was sane.... :confused:

Wayne Davy
30th May 2003, 11:59 AM
Dave,

Actually, I have tried that approach on several occasions. All that happens is I get handed a Baby and told "This will keep you busy. Now go to your room and play with son!" (frosty glare) :rolleyes:

DaveInOz
30th May 2003, 12:34 PM
I neglected to mention timing - don't try it when the kids are also trying it. Wait until they are playing happily so you wouldn't want to disturb them.

Sometimes my wife lets me think I've won - she plays me like a fish

Wayne Davy
30th May 2003, 12:43 PM
Yes, they do that don't they. As for the kids.. I will be a fair wait as the little one is teething and has a cold. We also have a four year old that does not stop! SHMBO does send me to my toy shop but the 4yr has to come to. This is fine BUT in an hour, I get 10minutes worth of work done and 50minutes worth of
'Daddy whats this'
'DONT TOUCH THAT'
'Why??'
'Its very sharp/hot/whatever'
'Why??'
'JUST DONT TOUCH IT'
etc. etc. etc.

Wood Borer
30th May 2003, 12:59 PM
Dave,

Secret Husbands Business should not be so publicly displayed. What the hell are you doing? Do you want wives to see this?

All it takes is for just one wife to see this and then it will be out, we will all be doomed.

Though I wouldn't be silly enough to try this method to get a $6000 plane! I appreciate my voice being deeper and wish to keep it that way.

- Wood Borer

John Saxton
2nd June 2003, 09:40 PM
Just to put you guy's in the picture the "vicinity of $6000" was for a set of chisels not a chisel as was misinterpreted.

Carba-Tec catalogue page 54 set of 11 Suminagshi Japanese Chisels rangeing from 3-42mm....$5975.00

Cheers:)