PDA

View Full Version : Home made Triton respirator modification!

cedar n silky
27th December 2006, 07:44 PM
I bought a triton respirator last year, and while the price was right, it had a few issues:mad: .The ear muffs really annoyed me, as I like to listen to what's going on with the lathe, the wood, and sometimes the radio:) . The helmet is also quite heavy, and you can't easily swing the useless ear muffs out of the way. So:yeah: I made these shroud blanks in less than 10 minutes today.
They are made out of 10 mm high density foam cut at an angle with a very sharp Stanley knife. I traced 4 blanks from the original muffs, and glued them together with CA.
They weigh next to nothing compared to the muffs, and have made the helmet a lot lighter and more comfortable, without compromising it.
Hey Mr Triton, you would probably sell a lot more if you sold the respirator with options, like these, or a shroud without the holes for the earmuffs!;)

Tex B
28th December 2006, 12:42 PM
Good mod, it looks like it has solved the problem for you without costing heaps.

Have to say, I like the ear muffs. Most of the time I use the respirator, I use the muffs as well. Don't do much turning though.

Can you put the muffs back on when you want them, or is this permanent?

Tex

cedar n silky
28th December 2006, 02:32 PM
Good mod, it looks like it has solved the problem for you without costing heaps.

Have to say, I like the ear muffs. Most of the time I use the respirator, I use the muffs as well. Don't do much turning though.

Can you put the muffs back on when you want them, or is this permanent?

Tex
Easy to put the muffs back on, they just clip back on. The little foam inserts are just held there with the elastic band pressure of the shroud.
For turning muffs are a pain. Turning is pretty quiet.:)

soundman
30th December 2006, 12:26 AM
I still recon they look like something out of a 60's be grade sci fi movie or early doctor who:D :D

Twinnie
30th December 2006, 05:18 PM
i like the ear muffs when turning somthing realy thin and it starts to resonate realy loud. in terms of mods the only one i'd do is have it running of direct dc from an adapter the batterys are ok now but when they start to ware out i'll be doing that

Matt

cedar n silky
30th December 2006, 09:17 PM
I still recon they look like something out of a 60's be grade sci fi movie or early doctor who:D :D
I agree there!:D My granson (aged 2) didn't know what to make of me when he first saw me wearing it except to start heading the other way quick!:)(

hooppine
31st December 2006, 05:15 PM
My grandson 7 years of age who makes chrissy presents at my place for his parents demands safety gear and maintains he will wear my triton helmet "forever". Four years of plugging safety has him a safety nut.

Rippa
2nd January 2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the Mods, did my triton today. sure makes it a lot lighter
Can now hear the wood talking to me.
:brava
Rippa